Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation after only one month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3,800 miles v4.4
371 Avg. Wh/m

237 miles at standard (down from 241-242)
6 super charges (3 were short ones between Fremont and SoCal the day I picked up the car, 2 more a few weeks apart for less than 25 minutes each), 1 range charge.

Charging on a 30A Blink Level 2 charger every night for ~21mph.
Driving M-F usually takes takes about 30-40 miles rated range per day (237 down to ~200).
Driving Sat-Sun usually takes about 80-140 miles rated range per day. (237 down to ~157-97).

I find rate at which my standard charge is declining disturbing. My standard charge used to be 241-242. There were two times in the past that I drove the car down to ~30 miles rated range left. The interesting thing at the time was that after these two instances my standard charge went up to 244. Since I've started maxing out at 237 for the past week or so I decided to experiment. I drove the car without charging this week, down to ~30 miles left, and then did a full supercharge cycle. I ended up at 237 again, so it would appear that the post low SOC boost of those past charges is no more.

I'm down to 185 consistently; the following are when charging from a 14-50 at home and I see the same when topping off at work from a 110V outlet:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367675755.668126.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367675767.350066.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367675778.183794.jpg

Zero max charges and supercharges thus far. Weather has gotten a lot warmer here though.

I was at 239-241 on a standard charge. I am now 236-237. I am only concerned because I have been given different answers by different people. I have 11,100 miles. No supercharges and 3 range charges. I do drive some days 200 plus miles. So, I have had many deep battery discharges.
photo.PNG

Most people here are reporting about a 2% capacity loss after 10,000 miles. If degredation were linear (it's not) that would be 20% over 100,000 miles. Since the degredation rate slows considerably after the first cycles, that seems in line with a ~10-15% loss over 100,000 miles. Doesn't that pretty much match up with what Tesla's saying? I think the issue is just that degredation rate is fastest initially.

Also, not everything is actual degredation. Could be a function of the range algorithm, pack imbalance, charge rate, depth of discharge, etc.

Most people here are reporting about a 2% capacity loss after 10,000 miles....

Which is exactly the same as my 50,000 miled Roadster.

And the OP, When overloaded, the decisions form Tesla service are clearly mission critical first. Cars that are immovable for whatever reason get first priority. Owners who want squeaker fixed or a P85 badge are asked to wait. While a battery loss is a much bigger deal, missing a few miles of range may be a less of a fire to be extinguished.

On April 26th I posted on this thread. Standard charge stopped at 239 miles. April 30th I started to max out at 238 miles. Now on May 4th I am maxing out at 237 miles immediately at the end of a standard charge. I sure hope this doesn't continue at a linear rate. It has been warmer this week here in San Diego.

JSON raw details below :

{"charging_state":"Complete","charge_to_max_range":false,"max_range_charge_counter":0,"fast_charger_present":false,"battery_range":237.38,"est_battery_range":192.97,"ideal_battery_range":273.21,"battery_level":93,"battery_current":-0.6,"charge_starting_range":null,"charge_starting_soc":null,"charger_voltage":0,"charger_pilot_current":40,"charger_actual_current":0,"charger_power":0,"time_to_full_charge":0.0,"charge_rate":-1.0,"charge_port_door_open":true,"scheduled_charging_start_time":1367753400,"scheduled_charging_pending":false,"user_charge_enable_request":true,"charge_enable_request":true}

Normal degradation isn't covered. However, degradation due to a battery problem would be covered. They've never tried to play word games on that with the Roadster and I doubt they'll start now.

The Tesla Model S with an 85 kWh battery pack comes with a 8 years and unlimited miles warranty.

Normal degredation isn't covered. This is very much acceptabel for most of us, as it's very logical that this (degredation of the capacity of the battery pack) will happen as time goes by and as the EV is driven for a certain number of miles.

First of all, to what extent should we consider "degredation of the capacity of the battery pack" as being normal?

To answer this question I would like to mention the following. Last year, in November or December, I remember having read on the Tesla Motors website, on the SPECS or FACTS webpage, that the battery capacity after 8 years would be about 70%. Meaning that there would be a "degredation of the capacity of the battery pack" of about 30%. But later on, early 2013, I saw that they had removed this information from the website. Has anyone else noticed this amendment as well?

If that's what (30% degredation of the capacity of the battery pack after 8 years) Tesla Motors expects, than that should be considered as being normal.

If that's what (30% degredation of the capacity of the battery pack after 8 years) Tesla Motors expects, than that should be considered as being normal.
Also keep in mind that new batteries lose capacity faster than old batteries, so if you treat the car the same for all 8 years, you will see the most capacity loss in year 1.