Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot swerving on freeway with distinct lane markings!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hillhold is still a tap for me. Lane keeping seems a bit more loosy goosy since the rainbow road update.

AP has not yet attained what I was sold which was that it will be completely autonomous from entrance ramp to exit ramp. It's about where I expected it to be by now though, despite what the sales folks told me even when I insisted that I didn't think it'd do what they promised by when they promised (and it hasn't). I still hope and expect it will get there... soon.
'
At this late date, autopilot having been out almost a year, how can you still have faith it will improve dramatically? And for it to be reliable from on ramp to off ramp, which I agree is what we were sold, it would have to be an order of magnitude better. I just don't see it getting there with current hardware. I think in our case as early adopters we're going to be stuck with a very substandard product unless a miracle occurs. If Mobileye dumped Tesla, I'm even more concerned. If Tesla dumped Mobileye, maybe there's still hope. That whole thing makes me very nervous.

Reactions: William3
I'm a smoother driver than Autopilot, as I expect many people are. At first I was a bit shocked and disconcerted by Autopilot "hunting" in the lane a bit. It probably feels much worse than it is because the corrections are immediate and somewhat abrupt (enough sideways acceleration is felt give the sense of a sudden hard swerve). I suggest that humans probably do more lane position adjusting / correction than Autopilot does, but our corrections are less abrupt in general (imminent threat corrections excepted).

Autopilot corrections also probably feel much more severe than they look to someone following. A three to six inch lane position correction is probably almost unnoticeable to someone following at a reasonable distance. Kinda like being in a airplane coming in for a landing in slightly choppy air - inside the airplane you feel like you're all over they sky (especially in a small airplane), but from the ground all that can usually be seen is a bit of minor wing rocking on an otherwise smooth approach.

On a long road trip last month my Model S swerved 3 times in my lane. I had a software update at my destination, and no swerves on the way back.

A couple of the swerves were near semi trucks so made me a little nervous. I kept my hands close to the wheel so I never felt in danger and the car still kept in its lane.

IIRC the lanes might have been wider because of merging so maybe autopilot got confused and swerved to hug a lane marking or something. Hard to recall a quick moment with no dash cam to analyze though.

'
At this late date, autopilot having been out almost a year, how can you still have faith it will improve dramatically? And for it to be reliable from on ramp to off ramp, which I agree is what we were sold, it would have to be an order of magnitude better. I just don't see it getting there with current hardware. I think in our case as early adopters we're going to be stuck with a very substandard product unless a miracle occurs. If Mobileye dumped Tesla, I'm even more concerned. If Tesla dumped Mobileye, maybe there's still hope. That whole thing makes me very nervous.
This is a quite complicated system that will take many more years to develop. I'm impressed with how far they've come in the past year and expect to see continual improvements over the next few years. The hardware in our cars is capable of a lot more than it is currently doing and I expect we'll see that realized over time. I'm not nervous or concerned.

I continually saw reference in this thread to what it says on the Tesla Design page about AP controlling from ramp on to ramp off. All makers of every product sell what it can do. XYZ airlines can fly you from JFK to LAX in 4 hours. They won't mention that if the weather goes to pot, you may have to spend the night in Cleveland. Satellite TV can give you 300 channels, but not if it is raining really hard. (And only 250 of them are shopping channels!) They don't list all the situations when it may not do what it can do. Unless you are talking medicines. Then they go through all the ways it will kill you in order to get rid of your toenail fungus so fast that you just tune it out. From what I have seen, Tesla's claims for the autopilot are accurate. It will do what it says. It will keep me in my lane and control my speed from ramp on till ramp off. Does it always do it faultlessly? No. And to show the sales page instead of the readily available owner's manual which clearly lists the cautions is a bit misleading.

One of the problems here is that people come up with their own idea of what an Autopilot is, and what it can do. I don't know where people get these ideas. Movies? TV? It doesn't matter, except that what they think autopilots are and what they do is often inaccurate. Most of these people have never used an autopilot before. They think pilots just push buttons and sit on their hands. Overpaid computer operators. For over 40 years, I have flown the most sophisticated autopilots in the world. I have seen tremendous strides in this technology. Some can land an aircraft weighing many hundreds of thousands of pounds on a runway without the pilot ever seeing anything until the nose wheel lowers, allowing him to see over the nose to the runway below. (This is important, because the autopilot cannot taxi to the gate.) And in severe situations, there isn't much for him to see, even then.

I admit that when at altitude, pilots do not have to keep their hands on the controls. But we have ATC keeping traffic separation standards. And in that arena, all the other aircraft are flown by well trained professional pilots. But since that can also fail, we have displays showing all aircraft which might conflict within 40 miles of our position. And whenever we have a doubt, the pilots do have their hands on the controls. And that is in the most controlled and least congested traffic situation in the world. Contrast that arena to a modern freeway where you are operating within just a few feet of other vehicles of questionable roadworthiness which may be driven by inexperienced text addicted teens, or worse, drivers affected by alcohol or drugs.

And when flying those low visibility approaches I mentioned earlier, or indeed, any autopilot approaches, guess what the pilots are taught to do. KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE CONTROL WHEEL AND THROTTLES in the event of a malfunction. No airliners have a totally autonomous autopilot, as some people here seem to think . Today's modern aircraft have excellent autopilots which can do amazing things. They have triple redundancy and crosschecks. But the final and most important element is a trained pilot with his hands on the controls. Because anything can happen, at any time.

I doubt that in my lifetime, we will see what some of the Tesla owners thought an autopilot to be. There are simply too many things, moving in unpredictable ways, only feet away from you for the system to account for. So for the foreseeable future, I expect us to have to be ready to take over, just like the pilots of the world's most sophisticated airplanes. Perhaps some day, when all cars are autopilot cars. But I'm not holding my breath.

If you want to wait till autopilots are totally autonomous, I hope you are very, very young.

Great post Steve. Great post.

In my opinion AP does indeed do on-ramp to off-ramp quite nicely. Nearly flawless with the right conditions. With conditions iffy it still does a good job except you need to pay more attention.

My biggest issue is that my car fades to the right when not on autopilot. I had tesla fix the alignment, but the fading right is still occurring. Due to this fading right, I feel as though my AP is jerking all the time struggling against the cars desire to fade to the right. It causes the greatest issue when entering intersections as this is a brief moment where you lose the lane markings, and my car fades right so by the time the markings are picked up it is over the line and needs to harshly correct.

My biggest issue is that my car fades to the right when not on autopilot. I had tesla fix the alignment, but the fading right is still occurring. Due to this fading right, I feel as though my AP is jerking all the time struggling against the cars desire to fade to the right. It causes the greatest issue when entering intersections as this is a brief moment where you lose the lane markings, and my car fades right so by the time the markings are picked up it is over the line and needs to harshly correct.
That sure sounds like something SC should fix. I know you have had it in already, but sounds like another visit should be in order. I would be turning autopilot off till this was fixed. Good luck