Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but a $30-40k car is not a "mass market" car by any definition. Especially a small car. It's a luxury car, along the lines of a BMW 3-series or Audi A4. I don't hear anyone calling the BMW 3-series "mass market"...

Look at the number of trucks on the road. Model 3s will quite handily be cheaper than even the cheapest trucks due to substantial difference in fuel costs to anyone who is financing (most buyers).

I'm leasing a Leaf which cost $32k MSRP. It's affordable to me because it costs little in fuel. I could not lease many other cars above $25k without substantial harm to my wallet.

Anyways, people tend to place greater emphasis on value over costs, which is why you don't see smart cars dominating the roads despite leasing for $1k down and $99 a month.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but a $30-40k car is not a "mass market" car by any definition. Especially a small car. It's a luxury car, along the lines of a BMW 3-series or Audi A4. I don't hear anyone calling the BMW 3-series "mass market"...

It is for Tesla, and it is compared to Model S and Model X. It's all relative. The first car I ever bought was $27,000, and every car after that was over $30,000 - and that was more than 15 years ago. I considered my previous purchases to be rather average compared to my Model S. I consider a $15,000 Kia to be a low end car. Tesla is not in a race to the bottom on price. Mass market is not defined by the cheapest car you can find. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, and others are all doing well, and produce far more cars than Tesla, and none of their offerings would be considered "mass market" by the above definition either. I think Tesla would love to have the kinds of numbers posted by any of these companies.

It is for Tesla, and it is compared to Model S and Model X. It's all relative. The first car I ever bought was $27,000, and every car after that was over $30,000 - and that was more than 15 years ago. I considered my previous purchases to be rather average compared to my Model S. I consider a $15,000 Kia to be a low end car. Tesla is not in a race to the bottom on price. Mass market is not defined by the cheapest car you can find. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, and others are all doing well, and produce far more cars than Tesla, and none of their offerings would be considered "mass market" by the above definition either. I think Tesla would love to have the kinds of numbers posted by any of these companies.

They aren't that far off from Porsche, certainly not an order of magnitude. Maybe 3-4x less right now? That could change pretty quickly.

It depends on Beta, doesn't? After all, the Trip Planner feature is beta and we all have it, and can turn it on or off.

Not really, with something this important. the problem is that you get lots of superfluous information from people that don't understand "how to beta." Good beta testers know when to light the vendor up and how to give good symptoms - bad (or inexperienced) beta testers just create noise that distracts the development team.

Not really, with something this important. the problem is that you get lots of superfluous information from people that don't understand "how to beta." Good beta testers know when to light the vendor up and how to give good symptoms - bad (or inexperienced) beta testers just create noise that distracts the development team.

Then why do we have the ability to report bugs by giving the voice command "report a bug"? Seems like that would cause a lot of noise as well. I'm not trying to split hairs, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have an opt-in beta by those who are willing to assume beta tester responsibilities. Of course I'm not looking at this from Tesla's viewpoint, but from my aspect of wanting to see the software before anyone else! lol :)

Then why do we have the ability to report bugs by giving the voice command "report a bug"? Seems like that would cause a lot of noise as well. I'm not trying to split hairs, I'm just saying that it would be nice to have an opt-in beta by those who are willing to assume beta tester responsibilities. Of course I'm not looking at this from Tesla's viewpoint, but from my aspect of wanting to see the software before anyone else! lol :)

An opt in beta would certainly silence me, for the most part, on this issue. There still exists the 14k miles I've driven that go against an unused component's warranty, but I wouldn't have reason to make an issue of that unless it broke somewhere between 50 and 64k miles.

I've no delusions that Tesla will begin an opt in beta program though.

Totally get it, and I think it would be very satisfying from a user point of view. I was just saying that, as a developer for almost 4 decades, having to cull through a lot of information from people that don't understand how to create good symptoms - or worse, are not staying focused on the point of the beta - can create red herrings and misinformation for the developers. And I'll bet that they are swamped enough that they only want good, solid info because they are so behind.

Just opining. I don't have any real information on how they're doing it. So yeah! Beta for everyone! :wink:

Totally get it, and I think it would be very satisfying from a user point of view. I was just saying that, as a developer for almost 4 decades, having to cull through a lot of information from people that don't understand how to create good symptoms - or worse, are not staying focused on the point of the beta - can create red herrings and misinformation for the developers. And I'll bet that they are swamped enough that they only want good, solid info because they are so behind.

Just opining. I don't have any real information on how they're doing it. So yeah! Beta for everyone! :wink:

You're probably right. Imagine how many beta testers would give feedback to Tesla about the reduced regen in the beta release... lol

Last edited:
Many, Many years ago when I was young, I had a job in a TV shop. After delivering the repaired TV back to the customer, many would complain about the color (usually) or some other aspect. "It doesn't look as bright", or "The faces are a little red". Of course on many of these repairs, the color circuitry was never involved in the fault, and thus the set is performing exactly the same. The "disturbance" in their life caused them to enable "hair trigger mode" and look for things, anything, that may be amiss. Color on a TV is very subjective.

As a technician who has now been called out to their house, the only thing I found worked reliably is to lie. Go to the back of the TV and enable test mode which collapsed the picture to one thin horizontal line, then make some "adjustments" and let out a few "aha's" then take the TV out of test mode. Worked almost every time. (And I didn't have to outright lie)

I'm willing to bet if I disabled most owners' regen for a few minutes, then re-enabled it and told them that I boosted it, they would believe me.

This is sort of what Perkiset is saying; if Tesla sends a Beta to everyone, they will get all kinds of subjective responses, and very little hard logic that's actionable to a developer.

Many, Many years ago when I was young, I had a job in a TV shop. After delivering the repaired TV back to the customer, many would complain about the color (usually) or some other aspect. "It doesn't look as bright", or "The faces are a little red". Of course on many of these repairs, the color circuitry was never involved in the fault, and thus the set is performing exactly the same. The "disturbance" in their life caused them to enable "hair trigger mode" and look for things, anything, that may be amiss. Color on a TV is very subjective.

As a technician who has now been called out to their house, the only thing I found worked reliably is to lie. Go to the back of the TV and enable test mode which collapsed the picture to one thin horizontal line, then make some "adjustments" and let out a few "aha's" then take the TV out of test mode. Worked almost every time. (And I didn't have to outright lie)

I'm willing to bet if I disabled most owners' regen for a few minutes, then re-enabled it and told them that I boosted it, they would believe me.

This is sort of what Perkiset is saying; if Tesla sends a Beta to everyone, they will get all kinds of subjective responses, and very little hard logic that's actionable to a developer.

Words of wisdom here. :)