Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is already improving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caution. Second time in 2 weeks: Autopilot was engaged, car slows down to stop behind a stopped car and then suddenly accelerates! Had to slam brakes on to avoid a collision. ABS activated. (Did not wait for Emergency Braking to kick-in.) Tesla is working the issue. Will advise . . .

I was going 45 MPH on autopilot when my car started slowing when it detected a stopped car in front of me. At about 20 MPH and about 3 car-lengths from stopped car, Model S suddenly stopped braking and suddenly started to try to accelerate back up to 45 MPH as if the stopped car was not there. It felt very abrupt . . . My passenger screamed. Not fun!

You don't mention any other cars, so I'm going to assume that this is not a case where another car could have been between your Model S and the stopped car and then left the lane, leaving the stopped car as an untracked car, right? Another possibility, though, that I want to throw out there would be similar, and perhaps less noticeable.

Is it possible that as your Model S was slowing down another vehicle started to pull into your lane, but then aborted? I'm thinking if that happened, the TACC system could have acquired that new, entering car as the target, and then when it left the lane the Model S would not have had a target vehicle, so would have accelerated.

Just throwing that out there as a possibility.

You don't mention any other cars, so I'm going to assume that this is not a case where another car could have been between your Model S and the stopped car and then left the lane, leaving the stopped car as an untracked car, right? Another possibility, though, that I want to throw out there would be similar, and perhaps less noticeable.

Is it possible that as your Model S was slowing down another vehicle started to pull into your lane, but then aborted? I'm thinking if that happened, the TACC system could have acquired that new, entering car as the target, and then when it left the lane the Model S would not have had a target vehicle, so would have accelerated.

Just throwing that out there as a possibility.

Unfortunately, none of the above. There was nothing between me and the car that was stopped. It was as if that car was suddenly not there.

2.9.154 did something incredibly scary this morning. Well marked 2-lane divided road, me in the right lane. Usually it misdetects the road as 35, but it didn't today maybe with the 2016 maps update. So I tried autopilot. It had high confidence in the lanes, had blue+black stripes on both sides. Autopilot moved the car 3/4's of the way into the left lane. It was fully aware it was doing this, as the graphic shows the blue+black stripe going through the middle of the car... No ultrasonics were going off, there were 0 other cars.

2.9.154 did something incredibly scary this morning. Well marked 2-lane divided road, me in the right lane. Usually it misdetects the road as 35, but it didn't today maybe with the 2016 maps update. So I tried autopilot. It had high confidence in the lanes, had blue+black stripes on both sides. Autopilot moved the car 3/4's of the way into the left lane. It was fully aware it was doing this, as the graphic shows the blue+black stripe going through the middle of the car... No ultrasonics were going off, there were 0 other cars.

getting a bit worried with the autopilot issues with the most recent update.

That's it, I'm not upgrading for auto-pilot! ;)

I see you're winking, and I very much enjoyed your post and agree that variety and sometimes even change for sake of change eg. in choosing routes is important to keep our minds sharp.

When I activate Autopilot I am very much continuing to control the vehicle. I'm still making all navigation choices and I am generally able to enjoy more of the surroundings and be more aware, glance at the screen, listen to audio, engaging my mind in other ways than keeping tires between painted lines and tracking a particular speed.

I'll consider the idea of being a true passenger in a ghost car when the time comes but I'd suggest that won't ever be in my current Model S as it lacks the sensors and probably processing to make that happen. In the meantime Autopilot is the best driver enhancement system ever and it became almost seamless immediately for me.

As for trusting it... hopefully some of the recent stories should serve as reminders to all of us that any complex system is prone to errors, and this is not full-autonomous so the backups and backups to backups are just not in there yet. So unless you have faster-than-cat reflexes like I do (I used to test 'em with the house kittehs) I'd suggest getting used to keeping your hands on the wheel with current AP.

Tried the exact same road with 2.12.126 this morning. Instead of splitting the lane it almost tried to take an exit then went into panic mode. I don't think the car understands overpasses.

I should probably upload my dashcam footage somewhere. It's unfortunate you can't see the dash though.

I am on 2.12.126. I have noticed that the car no longer moves toward large trucks as the car passes them on the left on 4 lane highways. It now either keeps centered or more often actually moves a bit left. I am much more comfortable with this new behavior.

The original release of AP was the best... So far every update has made it worse.... Clear lane markings on my street use to drive fine. Now the car detects the curbs as a lane and wants to ride in the curbs...

as i have no experience with previous versions of AP im just gona ask my question about it here.

lets say im being whisked away down a clearly marked interstate with AP on, the car tracks the lanes very well but around a corner it will sometimes hug the outer lane marking. how do i make the car "learn" the correct path? grabbing the wheel and correcting disables AP. ive noticed in recent days i can give the wheel a bit of pressure turning but its not really enough to correct a bad path.

as i have no experience with previous versions of AP im just gona ask my question about it here.

lets say im being whisked away down a clearly marked interstate with AP on, the car tracks the lanes very well but around a corner it will sometimes hug the outer lane marking. how do i make the car "learn" the correct path? grabbing the wheel and correcting disables AP. ive noticed in recent days i can give the wheel a bit of pressure turning but its not really enough to correct a bad path.

You can not. :(

You just wait for the next software update, which hopefully gets better.