Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning everyone

I know that this subject has been covered in depth (subject being that Tesla Auto Wipers are absolute dog turd).

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard any updates on a fix or whether they’re expected to actually work properly at some point?

SC literally burying their heads in the sand, trying to tell me that there’s no issue! Hilarious.

Don't worry Elon said "actually smart auto wiper software releases in about 3 weeks":

That was back in June 2023 though.

No one knows. it's possible the hardware isn't up to the job and can never do it effectively. I happen to think that a camera that has no night vision, that can't see the windscreen like a rain sensor does (which blasts IR at the windscreen and processes the scatter of the return signal) will never work effectively. At times it'll seem like it's fixed, because the conditions are such that it falls within the very narrow window where it actually works (daylight, no glare, consistent rainfall, etc), but the reality is that it is just as bad as it's always been.

Don't worry Elon said "actually smart auto wiper software releases in about 3 weeks":

That was back in June 2023 though.

No one knows. it's possible the hardware isn't up to the job and can never do it effectively. I happen to think that a camera that has no night vision, that can't see the windscreen like a rain sensor does (which blasts IR at the windscreen and processes the scatter of the return signal) will never work effectively. At times it'll seem like it's fixed, because the conditions are such that it falls within the very narrow window where it actually works (daylight, no glare, consistent rainfall, etc), but the reality is that it is just as bad as it's always been.
And before that in 2019 there was Deep Rain... a

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: cwerdna and Durzel
Well mine are improved because for the longest time they would not even turn on in a downpour when set to auto so I had to intervene by going manual. Now the auto mode works because when its sunny out the wipe here and there a few times a day. In rain they wipe but speeds are so far off its rather sad. it's going to rain quite a bit here in the next few days so I will get a better feel if there is any improvement in functionality. One improvement is they actually work in light snow now which they used to fail miserably.

I'm a pretty rational guy, before buying a Tesla I saw the post about wipers and thought "how bad can they really be. People probably have perfectionist expectations, and want it to do track days for them too. I'm sure it'll be fine".

Nope. They have always failed in every operational capacity. Tesla's auto wiper implementation is absolutely ridiculous and unfit for purpose.
- They don't turn on during a downpour.
- They don't get the hint when I manually trigger them 5 times in a row.
- They come on during a completely dry week in bright sunlight.
- They go absolutely bloody mental during a light drizzle.

They have no redeeming quality. They really are as bad as everyone says. I live with it, on the basis the rest of the car is mostly fantastic.