Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had mine set to manual since I bought the car so generally it doesn’t bother me too much, until they forced auto wipers with TACC/Autopilot! The dry wiping is enough to make one insane.

At least with TACC you can switch them back to manual but what a pain to do so, not to mention it unnecessarily draws your attention away from the road. It’s just hands down a stupid system.

I never use autopilot anymore because of this one issue.

Something has definitely changed with the wipers. I was someone who had maybe 4 or 5 instances of dry wiping over 4 years… seriously. It just wasn’t an issue. Wiping in the rain was generally acceptable during day time. Since a couple of updates ago I get dry wipes on every drive and very wayward rain detection. The only thing I haven’t done is thoroughly clean the windscreen in case that returns “normal” function. Hmm, we’ll see …

Reactions: karlos22
Wait…what? They’re for use in the rain? I thought they were some fancy new device to remind me to put sunglasses on…

The wipers are actually dangerous when overtaking lorries in heavy rain. I also seem to be the only one whose headlights don’t automatically come on when they go bonkers in the rain - headlights on can be a legal requirement on French motorways if it’s raining/wipers on. Basic stuff. The whole automation stuff (I have EAP) is unusable. I hover over accelerator when using TACC in case it (phantom) breaks suddenly - way too many cars on mainland Europe are driven too close to the leading car. It’s hardly the relaxing experience touted by Musk et al. But that’s a digression.

2 more years of lease to go, then…. who knows?

Wait…what? They’re for use in the rain? I thought they were some fancy new device to remind me to put sunglasses on…

The wipers are actually dangerous when overtaking lorries in heavy rain. I also seem to be the only one whose headlights don’t automatically come on when they go bonkers in the rain - headlights on can be a legal requirement on French motorways if it’s raining/wipers on. Basic stuff. The whole automation stuff (I have EAP) is unusable. I hover over accelerator when using TACC in case it (phantom) breaks suddenly - way too many cars on mainland Europe are driven too close to the leading car. It’s hardly the relaxing experience touted by Musk et al. But that’s a digression.

The hesdlights have come on in the past when in the rain but only when the release version is a prime number. Next release we might get lucky again.

• Funny
Reactions: karlos22

I find TACC to be fairly poor on general, but on mainland Europe it was actually dangerous. Like yourself I covered the accelerator constantly. Is seemed to pick up random markings on the road as corners and actively lower my set speed.

The main reason i got the s3xy buttons was to allow me to force the headlights and tailights on, and control my wipers when on cruise

I'm a pretty rational guy, before buying a Tesla I saw the post about wipers and thought "how bad can they really be. People probably have perfectionist expectations, and want it to do track days for them too. I'm sure it'll be fine".

Nope. They have always failed in every operational capacity. Tesla's auto wiper implementation is absolutely ridiculous and unfit for purpose.
- They don't turn on during a downpour.
- They don't get the hint when I manually trigger them 5 times in a row.
- They come on during a completely dry week in bright sunlight.
- They go absolutely bloody mental during a light drizzle.

They have no redeeming quality. They really are as bad as everyone says. I live with it, on the basis the rest of the car is mostly fantastic.
Apropos of nothing but I was sitting in a Tesla service centre recently while my car was having some work done, and it was one of those days where the rain was highly variable. A couple came back from a test drive of a Highland M3 and the first thing they remarked upon was how ineffective the wipers were. They asked the sales guy if there was any configurability or sensitivity settings for it and the guy told them no, but that "the software is always being improved". I so badly wanted to tell them that it hasn't changed in a meaningful way in 4 years, but didn't have the opportunity.

Reactions: adsheff
We have an M3P and an MYP and before the 2024.x release, we couldn’t use auto wipers - just worthless. However, since updated to the 2024.x release (with 12.3.1 FSD), we’re now both happy with the auto wiper function. We’ve had a lot of rainy days the past couple of weeks and, so far, so good… 🤞🏼