Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notifications

tesla notification.png

- - - Updated - - -

This notification comes up every time home link opens or closes the door. When I summon the car in the morning the door opens I get a notification and when it closes it I get a second one. Painful. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Of course I do have home link on auto open and close

I got auto close auto close to work 3 times in a row. FWIW here's what I did.
1. Get in car
2. Open garage door with homelink
3. Step on brake to turn on car, shift in reverse
4. Homelink text pops up with text re auto close at 10 ft
5. Back out and garage closes.

I was struggling with it too. For me, both Close and Open work however it is critical that I use the wall button of my garage to start the journey. If I use the Homelink Button to open my garage door (from inside) then Auto Close is disabled. I'm kind of disappointed by that only because I like opening the door from inside the car. But whatever. Overall a very, very nice feature.

When I came home today and drove up and saw the garage open I was like wow it works...
My Tesla is an out door car so when leaving I open the car from in the garage wall mount opener, and started driving it went down.
First time all works great. Another cool feature that just came to me without asking. Thanks Tesla.

It appears the recorded GPS location for Homelink is critical in getting auto-open/close to work reasonably well.

For me, it took several attempts at resetting the location, until I found a location that works reliably - and I may make another pass at setting the location, because it's too close to my garage - since the auto-close in 20 feet message comes on immediately when I start the car inside the garage - and the auto-open doesn't trigger until I'm almost at my garage door.

At least for me, resetting the location didn't work well when pulling out of my garage that reading wasn't as reliable as the GPS location I get after driving the car and then pulling into the driveway. Resetting the location when returning home seems to be more accurate - probably because it's got a stronger GPS lock after driving - than the car has when pulling out of a building. [Don't know if the car is getting a GPS location from our WiFi network - which will never be accurate for Homelink geolocation.]

I was struggling with it too. For me, both Close and Open work however it is critical that I use the wall button of my garage to start the journey. If I use the Homelink Button to open my garage door (from inside) then Auto Close is disabled. I'm kind of disappointed by that only because I like opening the door from inside the car. But whatever. Overall a very, very nice feature.

It's the same for me. But if you try it from inside the car, are you using Homelink to open the garage door before or after you hit the brake to "start" the car?

The problem I have is that getting into the car with the garage door closed and then hitting the open button on the screen will skip the auto-close function.
Even when opening the garage door with the wall switch, auto-close only functions 60-70% of the time.
Auto-open seems to be more reliable, though.

What I still don't understand is why auto-close works when you enter the garage with Summon, but not when you drive in yourself.
However, when I drive in half way and do the rest with Summon, Homelink will close the garage door.

And RFID won't work, because of the coated windshield. I have to wave my RFID out my Pano roof at work for it to open the gate there.

I don't have that problem. If I get into the car, use the car to open the garage door, then drive out, it will still auto-close. I can say that auto-close has been entirely reliable for me.

My issue is that the auto-open is flaky for me based upon the driving speed up my driveway. Driving up my lane road, the car gets turned 180 degrees to pull into my garage stall. If I drive at > 10 mph, the car gets to a spot where the opener receives the signal by the time auto-open engages; if I drive at < 10 mph, it will try to open when I'm aligned with the brick wall that will block the signal. I've tried various different locations, to no avail.

My recommendation to Tesla was to allow for us to set different, precise locations for auto-open vs. auto-close. I'd want auto-open to occur when I'm on the back side of the garage, where the signal can travel through the windows, but I want auto-close to occur immediately after I back out.

It's the same for me. But if you try it from inside the car, are you using Homelink to open the garage door before or after you hit the brake to "start" the car?
I think you just discovered an undocumented feature on Tesla working with Home Link on manual open - auto-close. Once power is applied to the car, it will only do one auto operation (open or close). To manual open with auto close, manual open needs to be executed before stepping on the brake to start the car.

One scenario for unsuccessful auto-close is:
If I auto-open to get into the garage to let my passenger get off without shutting down the car, then leave the garage, the garage will not auto-close.

Maybe Tesla should just auto-open when I want to exit, and auto-close after exiting, something similar to summon. I don't have summon (yet), being in Canada.

Getting used to this feature. So after reseting location INSIDE the garage, auto-close seems to work reasonably well, 20 foot countdown which means the car has cleared the garage door by about 3 feet. But auto-open seems to open really early, opens at the end of my driveway, which is probably another 60 feet away.

I got auto close auto close to work 3 times in a row. FWIW here's what I did.
1. Get in car
2. Open garage door with homelink
3. Step on brake to turn on car, shift in reverse
4. Homelink text pops up with text re auto close at 10 ft
5. Back out and garage closes.

Would that not work the same if you opened the garage door with the wall button before you got into the car?

I could actually care a less about the summon feature, as I don't need it at all-I'm already in the car. It is cool though. But I LOVE the fact that my door opens when I drive up and closes when I leave. I know that it's lame, because all I have to do is press a button. But I just think that it is neat.

That's all.

I actually agree with this. Auto pilot and summon feature to me are merely sales / marketing driving. Auto pilot technology is too new to trust full time. Not to be confused with the features surrounding auto feature. The feature surrounding auto pilot like adaptive cruise control, lane warning, collision warning, etc., are useful tool. To truly expect self driving and auto pilot itself, so one can put on make up, chat on the phone, or do whatever they do other than two hands on the wheel and focus on the road is absolutely silly.

I do like the garage open and close. Neat little functionality to add w/o costing owners more money and add value.

What I was depress is not seeing more apps. I would think at this point, Tesla would open up their API for other apps like Spotify, Pandora, etc to be added to the console. I read another thread about why would Tesla pay for those service. They shouldn't. I don't mind subscribing to them. Heck I subscriibe to XM for years now. I was happy to cancel it knowing the Tesla would give me nice Internet apps option.

I got the 7.1 update earlier today (pre-AP car) and messed with the auto homelink function as I really wanted it to work. It did for me once, on arrival. But the next 10 times it didnt. It never worked on departure.

When things didnt work I tried resetting the homelink position in a few different places on the driveway but it didnt help. What was odd is I set the position and the homelink icon went green indicating I was near the location then I drove away (down the street 1/2 mile) and back and it stayed white (didnt recognize location). In the past it always went green when close to the door. Its like the location-awareness of homelink got worse in the 7.1 update.

What could possibly be a contributing factor is I have 3 doors programmed and they're all on the same garage (3 car garage) so I can open/close any of the 3 doors. I only have 1 set to auto open/close though. I tried moving the location of the other 2 away from the Tesla one to see if that helped but it didnt seem to.

Anyone else having trouble or any ideas on this?

Seem to be working fine for me. What I did was first back my car out of the garage and leave the garage door open. Back the car out approx 10-15 feets from the garage door because I wanted the open feature to start opening a bit earlier than directly in front of the garage.

Put the car in park, while the garage is still open. Activate the auto open and auto closed. Then click on "RESET LOCATION". I than manually closely the garage via the autolink button on the console and drive off.

When I got home, approx 25 feet from the house, auto homelink pops up showing me distance before garage will trigger open, as I approaches it, the garage door open and I drive in. When I back out the garage and reaches that GPS point where I reset originally, it closes the garage door.

What it doesn't do, i dont think is while the car is physically inside the garage it will open and close your garage door. Only as you approach the GPS point and reverse to the GPS point.

What it doesn't do, i dont think is while the car is physically inside the garage it will open and close your garage door. Only as you approach the GPS point and reverse to the GPS point.

It doesn't but it should. Why else put the car in drive/reverse? It's as if the function was specified by a committee and then handed off to an intern. Which is sort of my opinion on anything that's gotten added to the UI.

It makes sense that auto Close would not know when the car is far enough into the garage to close safely.

It appears from what people say here that it is technically not "auto close" or "auto open" but rather "Auto Activate HomeLink". I would guess that if someone opened the garage door while you were away, the system would auto close the door upon your return.

I think you just discovered an undocumented feature on Tesla working with Home Link on manual open - auto-close. Once power is applied to the car, it will only do one auto operation (open or close). To manual open with auto close, manual open needs to be executed before stepping on the brake to start the car.

Actually Cyclone had pointed this out days ago, way back here:

I know I mentioned this somewhere, but I've already forgotten where. For me, auto open/close won't trigger a second time unless the car has shut off. So if I get home and auto-open occurs, I can't just then I mmediately pull out the garage and it auto-closes. I have to get out of the car, close the doors, then get back in the car and it will enable auto-close when I hit the brake (Homelink was showing, but no auto-close text until I hit the brake). Similarly, if I leave and go down the street, auto-close triggers but auto-open won't I get out of the car, close the doors, and then get back in and head home.