Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it is the first part that is causing the problem? For me, Auto-Close does NOT work if I open the garage door with Homelink. So every time the car "turns on", it will either Auto-Open or Auto-Close, not both (for me at least). After each, it will not trigger again until I get out of the car and close the doors so the screens turn off. Then when I get back in, I can again Auto-Open or Auto-Close.

That seems almost as brain-dead as the old algorithm. Which was pop-up homelink when you get close, then get rid of it after while the door is still open. It assumes I don't need to close the garage door I just opened? WTF?

7.1: Just the garage door opener. Nothing else.

I could actually care a less about the summon feature, as I don't need it at all-I'm already in the car. It is cool though. But I LOVE the fact that my door opens when I drive up and closes when I leave. I know that it's lame, because all I have to do is press a button. But I just think that it is neat.

That's all.

i have a garage door opener and a gate on my tesla system.....they both work fine IF i press the button the screen...i selected for BOTH to automatically open when i get near, and ONLY the garage door works, the gate does nothing...anyone else have this issue?

I could actually care a less about the summon feature, as I don't need it at all-I'm already in the car. It is cool though. But I LOVE the fact that my door opens when I drive up and closes when I leave. I know that it's lame, because all I have to do is press a button. But I just think that it is neat.

That's all.
Totally agree. Especially as I found it hard to accurately hit the soft button as I was also turning and going up an incline.

I could actually care a less about the summon feature, as I don't need it at all-I'm already in the car.
We seen some great scenarios where people do have room to stand there and unplug and plug their car in while it is in the garage BUT it is an extremely tight fit getting in their pretty old home garages. Not my situation either but some of the videos and comments out there make it a pretty great feature in those situations even if they still have to plug/unplug manually.

We seen some great scenarios where people do have room to stand there and unplug and plug their car in while it is in the garage BUT it is an extremely tight fit getting in their pretty old home garages. Not my situation either but some of the videos and comments out there make it a pretty great feature in those situations even if they still have to plug/unplug manually.

Totally agree! I used to have to open my windows and manually fold the mirrors to squeeze into my garage years ago because I was so obsessed. But now I am so spoiled that I have a two car garage that only only coddles to my Miss. Along with laundry and other crap... But she has her special space! And it is now attached to my house after I built a new room to connect the house to the garage (SO worth all that work!). It is such a great luxury to walk from my warm house into my kind-of warm (honestly, cold) garage, get in and hit the open button and then go and close. First time I have ever been able to have an attached garage in 35 years. Before that, summons would have been really nice to have. I do look forward to annoying my friends with this "amazing new" feature if they will still talk to me after having done that repeatedly for the last year or so.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but my wife doesn't like backing into the garage. However, backing an MX into a garage usually allows the falcon wing doors to clear the overhead garage door. Since my ceiling is low, this gives us more breathing room. Haven't used it yet, but that's our plan.

I'd like to see an option to extend the auto open/close range - I have a gate, so moving the "location" would not do any good.

My opener already gets the signal from about 75ft away - so it would be more efficient to start the auto open/close process off sooner on both sides of approach.

When I first tried to reset the location, evidently the GPS system didn't have a solid lock - and the location I recorded wasn't correct - which resulted in the system auto-opening/closing half a block away (out of range).

To get a more accurate GPS reading, it's probably better to reset the location after driving and returning - so the GPS has a clear lock before setting the location.

The location I've recorded is just outside of my garage door - which seems to work reasonably reliably now - but it does wait to open the garage door until I'm getting close to the door, and when I'm leaving it immediately starts the distance count down as I'm pulling out of the garage.

Unlike the geolocation on the air suspension (that we really have no control over nor can we easily monitor the current position of the suspension without continuously displaying the air suspension window), the specific position for the homelink auto-open/close is pretty important. The location needs to be within a zone that is in range of the opener, but not so close as to have the door opening/closing while the car still underneath the garage door (and possibly not triggering the door's object sensor).

What might be helpful would be to allow more advanced settings - to set separate locations for auto-open and auto-close.

I love it too - starting to get used to zipping in/out of the garage without pausing or looking.

Given the Model X systems I've seen, I am looking forward to one day entering the vehicle hands free, no key to start, driving in/out of the garage etc. so much intuitive automation! Now we need self-latching seat belts!

I love it too - starting to get used to zipping in/out of the garage without pausing or looking.

Given the Model X systems I've seen, I am looking forward to one day entering the vehicle hands free, no key to start, driving in/out of the garage etc. so much intuitive automation! Now we need self-latching seat belts!
Give us a credit card RFID that always remain in my wallet, other functionality of the FOB can rely on the phone.

Mine was working so unreliably that I turned it off and just use it manually. About 2/3 of the time, it wouldn't even try to close the garage when I back out. No idea why it worked some of the time, but not all of the time. Homelink itself is rock solid. I can open/close my garage from way down the street.

Saw autoclose to work for the first time. The distance countdown starts as soon as you put it in drive. Tomorrow I will see what happens if I put it in drive before I open the door at all.

It'll work the same.

I've gone home but parked outside so I could run in really quick. As I approached, the a door auto-opened. I ran in, grabbed what I needed from the garage, and closed the garage using the keypad on my house as I exited. When I shifted in to reverse to turn the car around the auto close in 20 ft message came up and, sure enough, opened the garage once the wheels spun the equivalent of 20 linear ft.

It'll work the same.

I've gone home but parked outside so I could run in really quick. As I approached, the a door auto-opened. I ran in, grabbed what I needed from the garage, and closed the garage using the keypad on my house as I exited. When I shifted in to reverse to turn the car around the auto close in 20 ft message came up and, sure enough, opened the garage once the wheels spun the equivalent of 20 linear ft.

Well my question is does it auto-open when put into drive. It knows the precise GPS location of me parked in the garage. It also knows if the door is closed via ultrasonic testing. Did some developer put 2 and 2 together? :-/

I know the protocol doesn't allow status of the door, so I assume as much if you open/close by external sources the car will do the wrong thing. Tesla should clearly explain that to normal people however. I actually spent an hour yesterday going through the whole manual, just in case they detailed this stuff. They did not.

I really do believe there is a bug between Summon and Auto Homelink.

Configuration:
- I have two garage doors, each with LiftMaster openers (with roving codes) -- left and right
- My MS parks on the right
- Manual use of Homelink in the MS works perfectly with both doors
- Once 7.1 was installed, I checked Homelink Auto Open and Auto Close on only the right door; The left garage door is unchecked; No other reprogramming was done

Scenario 1 (Manual):
- I use my normal garage door opener or the MS Homelink Dropdown to open the right door where my MS is parked
- Backing out of my garage, the right door countdown begins, and closes as it should
- Arriving back to my garage, the right door countdown begins, and then opens as it should for me to pull in
- Perfect. I love it.

Scenario 2 (Summon):
- I use my normal garage door opener (not in MS) to open the right door where my MS is parked
- I use Summon via FOB to back MS into the driveway, and the FOB lock button to STOP it (driveway is less than 39')
- I use Summon via FOB to pull MS back into the garage
- MS stops itself, AND opens the left garage door (which is not auto-open/close-enabled on the 17" Homelink settings menu). The right door remains up.

The process is 100% repeatable. IMHO it's a certain bug with Summon and Auto Homelink, as no Homelink door should open or close if the auto buttons are not checked in the menu. (...and sorry if this is a repeat -- having a hard time keeping up with multiple Homelink/Summon threads and similar subjects across them all)

Well my question is does it auto-open when put into drive. It knows the precise GPS location of me parked in the garage. It also knows if the door is closed via ultrasonic testing. Did some developer put 2 and 2 together? :-/

I know the protocol doesn't allow status of the door, so I assume as much if you open/close by external sources the car will do the wrong thing. Tesla should clearly explain that to normal people however. I actually spent an hour yesterday going through the whole manual, just in case they detailed this stuff. They did not.

I'm fairly certain it won't do anything until you move 20ft and it doesn't care whether you move closer to the garage or away from the garage.

I don't believe it's using GPS outside of geofencing to tell homelink that you're close to home.