Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You see how incredibly important the SuperCharger network is to Tesla. It is the one thing that cements their dominance and maintains their monopoly as the only viable EV producer.

It is not enough for another company like BMW or Audi to manufacture an EV from scratch. Tesla has not only done that, it has built/is building a SuperCharger network all over the planet to accommodate them.

That is a much bigger undertaking than merely manufacturing cars. That is why the other companies cannot compete.

EV are viable as commuter cars with much less range than the MS. I agree the supercharger network is a key differentiator but only in terms of making the cars viable for long distance driving and eliminating that as a negative for the naysayers. It would be interesting to know what the philosophy of Tesla is when designing the supercharger network. If you look at the US there are large geographic areas of low population that have almost no superchargers. Look at Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Idaho. These are states with a combined population of over 13 million with but just few superchargers in total and many many miles of highways. There are very few large cities (more than 400,000 people) in those states. The network is built out along the major interstate highways. What does that mean for Australia. Will it be just A1 (Pacific hwy) from Brisbane to Sydney, M31 (Hume) from Sydney to Melbourne, A8 (Western hwy) from Melb to Adelaide. All of the destinations off that will rely on destination charging. And on those three highways will the gap be 200km to take advantage of the fastest charge rate that a battery with low charge allows. How many years before , as an example hwy 1 from Melbourne to Sydney gets superchargers ... 3 , 5, 10? It may take other manufacturers to adopt the same charging standards to make it viable.

EV are viable as commuter cars with much less range than the MS. I agree the supercharger network is a key differentiator but only in terms of making the cars viable for long distance driving and eliminating that as a negative for the naysayers. It would be interesting to know what the philosophy of Tesla is when designing the supercharger network. If you look at the US there are large geographic areas of low population that have almost no superchargers. Look at Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Idaho. These are states with a combined population of over 13 million with but just few superchargers in total and many many miles of highways. There are very few large cities (more than 400,000 people) in those states. The network is built out along the major interstate highways. What does that mean for Australia. Will it be just A1 (Pacific hwy) from Brisbane to Sydney, M31 (Hume) from Sydney to Melbourne, A8 (Western hwy) from Melb to Adelaide. All of the destinations off that will rely on destination charging. And on those three highways will the gap be 200km to take advantage of the fastest charge rate that a battery with low charge allows. How many years before , as an example hwy 1 from Melbourne to Sydney gets superchargers ... 3 , 5, 10? It may take other manufacturers to adopt the same charging standards to make it viable.
Unfortunately, the charging standards (plug spec, handshaking etc) are not public domain. Someone has to convince Telsa to let go go their DC implementation then we need a business model to install something like Tritium's Veefil fast DC chargers in those areas which are unlikely to be covered by Tesla Superchargers. The Veefil chargers can, of course, be used with a CHAdeMO adaptor.

Unfortunately, the charging standards (plug spec, handshaking etc) are not public domain. Someone has to convince Telsa to let go go their DC implementation then we need a business model to install something like Tritium's Veefil fast DC chargers in those areas which are unlikely to be covered by Tesla Superchargers. The Veefil chargers can, of course, be used with a CHAdeMO adaptor.

I think Tesla has shown willing to open the superchargers up to other manufacturers at their terms, so far though none of them have agreed to it though.

Teslas DC implementation is the best available at the moment, its just a shame that no other cars adopt it, yet.

* It uses standard type 2 plug
* supports higher current than any other DC spec
* uses the same plug for level 2 AC charging and level 3 DC charging
* is compact

All other DC methods require a separate charge port or a bulky combo plug.

My feeling is that tesla should commit to a supercharger station for every 50 (or so) vehicles sold. Allocate the superchargers based on the geographical distribution of the vehicle sales. In reality I have no real interest in driving East in an EV or ICE vehicle, but it would be good to have a few superchargers installed around the southwest and as far north as Geraldton, in order make make holiday trips viable.

One thing to keep in mind is this: Superchargers are ONLY useful for road trips and therefore should not be a determining factor when considering the purchase of a Tesla or any other EV for that matter. Overall, I think Tesla has made a beautiful strategic move by investing in a Supercharger network, but it has led to some people saying "well there's no supercharger near me so I won't buy one". This is fueled by the "petrol station" mentality, which we, as a collective, need to break, and help others to break, because we have the most convenient charging location of all - our homes.

I've said this before, but if you spend 95% of your time driving around a 250km radius, why would you deny yourself the pleasure of driving an EV just for that last 5%? Mathematically, it makes no sense.

It's not like people don't buy Corollas just because, one day, they might want to go 4 wheel driving.

Overall, I think Tesla has made a beautiful strategic move by investing in a Supercharger network, but it has led to some people saying "well there's no supercharger near me so I won't buy one". This is fueled by the "petrol station" mentality, which we, as a collective, need to break, and help others to break, because we have the most convenient charging location of all - our homes.

I've said this before, but if you spend 95% of your time driving around a 250km radius, why would you deny yourself the pleasure of driving an EV just for that last 5%? Mathematically, it makes no sense.

Exactly right. It's not as if people can't hire an ICE vehicle if they need to travel extended distances by car in an area with inadequate charging facilities. They might not enjoy it after getting used to a Tesla though ;)

Reminds me of a concept by Rob Cockerham for an electric car swap program - don't think it took off though! Electric Car Swap

Exactly right. It's not as if people can't hire an ICE vehicle if they need to travel extended distances by car in an area with inadequate charging facilities. They might not enjoy it after getting used to a Tesla though ;)

Reminds me of a concept by Rob Cockerham for an electric car swap program - don't think it took off though! Electric Car Swap

Yes it was exactly this sort of reasoning that initially led me to forego supercharging, since we just don't do road trips. And if we decided we really wanted to do one that the Tesla couldn't manage then you can hire a lot of cars (or other transport) for the cost of supercharger access. I've since changed my mind and decided to get it - basically as a hedge against future changes in availability and needs - but the original reasoning still holds. I would be just as motivated to buy a Tesla if supercharging didn't exist at all.

Yes it was exactly this sort of reasoning that initially led me to forego supercharging, since we just don't do road trips. And if we decided we really wanted to do one that the Tesla couldn't manage then you can hire a lot of cars (or other transport) for the cost of supercharger access. I've since changed my mind and decided to get it - basically as a hedge against future changes in availability and needs - but the original reasoning still holds. I would be just as motivated to buy a Tesla if supercharging didn't exist at all.

It's a funny thing, though. Previous to buying my Tesla I didn't even have a car seat for our son in my old Audi. Every time we went anywhere as a family we took my wife's SUV. Since getting the Model S we take it everywhere we possibly can, and I eagerly await any superchargers that will let me go places I currently cannot. Driving the ICE SUV instead is a real disappointment (enough to actually affect our choices of places to go).

Here's the full list!
SA:
  • Keith
  • Gawler

In SA, to cover the popular and most travelled and populous areas, it'd be worth adding these initially:

• Tailem Bend (south of Adelaide, intersection of a few of the highways).
  • Port Pirie (not in the city, there are several road houses on the main highway that would be highly suitable to having a supercharger placed near them - e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/cK46Q_ - ideal stopping point from Adelaide)
  • Port Augusta (all main highways intersect here, and traverse the city, plenty of places near food stops through the city where a supercharger could be located).
  • and maybe Port Wakefield (a common stop along the main highway just north of Adelaide with plenty of truck stops/cafes/bakeries, etc. highway junction point for Yorke Peninsula and Eyre Peninsula - a good stop when leap frogging/travelling through Adelaide)

I'd also shift the suggested Gawler site to Blanchetown or more likely Waikerie, under the assumption that there'll likely be a dealership or supercharger in the Adelaide metro area at some point.

From there on, to cover the Eyre Peninsula:

• Cowell (secondary highway to Port Lincoln runs through here)
  • Port Lincoln
  • Wudinna (main highway runs through here to Ceduna/WA and also covers alternate route via Port Lincoln travelling West, could also be Kyancutta, but Wudinna is bigger)

That would cover most of the populated and heavily travelled areas of SA.

Then:

To cover to the WA border west of Wudinna, you'd need to add:

• Yalata
  • Eucla (or the Border Village)
  • Ceduna (last major town/city heading West)

To cover to the NT border north of Port Augusta, you'd need to add:

• Pimba
  • Glendambo
  • Coober Pedy
  • Marla

In SA, to cover the popular and most travelled and populous areas, it'd be worth adding these initially:

• Tailem Bend (south of Adelaide, intersection of a few of the highways).
  • Port Pirie (not in the city, there are several road houses on the main highway that would be highly suitable to having a supercharger placed near them - e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/cK46Q_ - ideal stopping point from Adelaide)
  • Port Augusta (all main highways intersect here, and traverse the city, plenty of places near food stops through the city where a supercharger could be located).
  • and maybe Port Wakefield (a common stop along the main highway just north of Adelaide with plenty of truck stops/cafes/bakeries, etc. highway junction point for Yorke Peninsula and Eyre Peninsula - a good stop when leap frogging/travelling through Adelaide)

I'd also shift the suggested Gawler site to Blanchetown or more likely Waikerie, under the assumption that there'll likely be a dealership or supercharger in the Adelaide metro area at some point.

From there on, to cover the Eyre Peninsula:

• Cowell (secondary highway to Port Lincoln runs through here)
  • Port Lincoln
  • Wudinna (main highway runs through here to Ceduna/WA and also covers alternate route via Port Lincoln travelling West, could also be Kyancutta, but Wudinna is bigger)

That would cover most of the populated and heavily travelled areas of SA.

Then:

To cover to the WA border west of Wudinna, you'd need to add:

• Yalata
  • Eucla (or the Border Village)
  • Ceduna (last major town/city heading West)

To cover to the NT border north of Port Augusta, you'd need to add:

• Pimba
  • Glendambo
  • Coober Pedy
  • Marla

Buckleys!