Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Dborn is referring to Supercharge.info where it is listed as under construction. Generally the TeslaMotors.com Supercharger page will not list it until it's open.

If you zoom right in on the INFO map, the SC is not in the correct position (i.e. the Goulburn Information Center).

Also, the opinion of SC's not appearing until complete may not be correct either... Try zooming in on Europe. There are many under construction sites that are GREY on the map.

GH

Interestingly yesterday driving up the Hume Highway and the car tried to direct me off the highway at Seymour, presumably to the supercharger site. If I had time i would have followed it and seen where it took me.

Will you be passing again on your return journey?
Would it show up on other owners screens now and they could zoom in to see actual location?
I would think the in-car readout would be more accurately placed than it would show on 'Supercharger.info' at the early stages, although I have seen video of there sometimes being difficulty in locating some supercharges.

Last edited:
Are there any rumours about the Canberra supercharger yet? I'll have a pretty bad home charging situation, so I was hoping the Canberra one would be open by the time my car is delivered in September.
There is absolutely nothing about any supercharger other than the fact that Goulburn is under construction, and so are further superchargers in Sydney and Melbourne (ST Leonards and Richmond expansions to activate installed but non functioning stalls). (on supercharge.info).

Are there any rumours about the Canberra supercharger yet? I'll have a pretty bad home charging situation, so I was hoping the Canberra one would be open by the time my car is delivered in September.

Nothing other than statements from the guy in charge of supercharger rollout in Australia that Sydney/Melbourne will "definitely" be done on schedule this year. Progress doesn't appear commensurate with that but I expect the actual work could move quite quickly once all the administrative hurdles are cleared (which apparently is most of the battle generally).

Evan on twitter - cryptic as usual!

8TX5r5M.png

Superchargers - How do we compare with other countries?

Number of Model S vehicles per Superchargers? (Not the actual number of charging stalls).
Using the Tesla Wiki for production numbers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S of other countries and for the Australian First Supercharger Highway, these two links for NSW http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?fuseaction=statstables.show&cat=Registration
and Victoria http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...bestselling-electric-car-20150526-gh9tl8.html (I realize this does not cover all Australian Model S sales. I'm relying on the article for Vic numbers)
I have used http://supercharge.info/ for the number of Superchargers. These numbers only give an approximate guide. We can all speculate on what the true Model S numbers actually are.

So using 1 Supercharger per 50 Cars (2%) then if we have about 1%-2% ratio would sit somewhere in the middle of the pack. (Vic & NSW as that's all the data I have included) (See Tables attached).

Comments?

Attachments

• Tesla Superchargers.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Just a comment in general

....the number of Charging stations is geographic (distance between charges)
....the number of stalls is more related to number of vehicles

If you look at a map, the layout is "now to I get from here to there", not how long does it take to wait in line at a charging station

I would change the metric to physical charging bays/number of vehicles

Just a comment in general

....the number of Charging stations is geographic (distance between charges)
....the number of stalls is more related to number of vehicles

If you look at a map, the layout is "now to I get from here to there", not how long does it take to wait in line at a charging station

I would change the metric to physical charging bays/number of vehicles

This would make the new list ...
Rank CountryCars/Stall End of
1Netherlands84Q2
2Norway54Q2
3Belgium44May
4USA39Q2
5Switzerland32Q2
6Canada27May
7Denmark20Q2
8China15May
9UK15Q1
10Australia14Q1
11Austria14May
12France9Q2
13Germany8Q2
14Sweden7Q2

Attachments

• Tesla Supercharger Update.xlsx
    20 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Thanks brewster, I have roughly calculated this at a global level based on vin to both stalls and locations a few times but you have done a much better job. Some thoughts that complicate the numbers

Places like sweden are affected by Norway through traffic on holidays. Possibly also Germany, France and Denmark. Anyone know about the Netherlands? I think bjorn complained due to Taxi's tying up the Chargers on a recent trip.

ratio of supercharger use to home usage will be vastly different between HK and AU for instance. Only Tesla will know this.

Destination on chargers may reduce the need for superchargers.

any private superchargers are not listed so fleets/taxi depots are missed (not many I guess though)

places like AU do not yet have widespread alternate chargers (CCS, Chademo) so Tesla may need to build more.

Tesla could come in hard and put in extra in AU to get a hard to beat network ready for model 3 and leave other next gen long range cars for dead;-)

i think your AU numbers could be increased by assuming NSW is ~50% of national so far, as we only have accurate numbers for NSW. IE q4 14 ~130, q1 15 ~238. Q4 15 ~1000, q4 16 ~3000. The 50% will probably shift now that VIC has a charging network, and I hope the approval included even more chargers next year.

Last edited:
Having just left Amsterdam, I saw many Model Ss, all were parked next to a street charger. Despite most people living in apartments it seems that there is street charging infrastrcture, along with a geographically small country so despite relatively high numbers of Model S there is perhaps less need for superchargers - the opposite of Australia in a way.

I expect construction will happen quite quickly, there's really not much to a supercharger. They're just pre-fab fancy powerpoints, and construction-wise all they need is a slab base with the power cables. I'd be surprised if actual construction and installation at a cleared accessible site would take more than a few days. It's all the preparatory work in getting the sites (with appropriate power or arrangements for same) located, agreed and administratively signed off that takes the time, all of which recent tweets from the guy responsible seem to indicate has been done.