Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on how much of the pack they actually use it could get over 100 miles at 250 wh/mi. They may simply be more realistic with their range figure than most. Unless you do an EV from scratch it's going to be hard to fit much more than 100 miles worth of batteries in your average vehicle.

Well for a 100 mile range at 250 Wh/Mile consumption, and an energy density of 250 Wh/L, you'd only need 100L of battery space, I suppose you need to maybe scale that up some for casings and cooling space but generously maybe to 130L? That's about a tenth of a cubic metre plus a little bit as a rough guess. Surely that doesn't use all of the space freed up by removing the engine, gearbox, driveshaft and exhaust tunnel?

Edit: Just seen the diagram from TEG. Looks like it does use all the space! Very narrow underfloor module though.

Last edited:

Audi-A3-e-tron-5.jpg

The Leaf battery isn't really "T-shaped"

Ah ok so it isn't, I didn't check before posting, and was relying on my apparently faulty memory! Actually looks like quite efficient packaging also.
leafbatt2-600x288.jpg

Judging by this picture, it looks efficiently packaged but TINY compared with the Model S battery size. I suppose with the range difference that is to be expected. Still, if I were building an EV, I would be tempted to fill all available space with battery.

Judging by this picture, it looks efficiently packaged but TINY compared with the Model S battery size. I suppose with the range difference that is to be expected. Still, if I were building an EV, I would be tempted to fill all available space with battery.

I think Nissan put less battery than they could because they were targeting a low price of entry with range on the low side.
If you need a bit more range, and want to spend more you could look at a CODA.

Still, it makes me wonder why Nissan didn't offer more battery as an option though...I'd bet some Leaf buyers would have elected to purchase a higher range battery.

It's tempting, until you have to pay for it. I could have put 100 miles worth of battery in my conversion but I didn't want to double my battery cost for range I didn't really need. Nissan probably came to the same conclusion.

They are having enough trouble just making enough of one model. You can't just drop some extra cells in place and call it a day, you either have to add cells in parallel to each existing module to keep voltage the same or you add modules in series, which increases voltage, which might be more than the controller, DC/DC, and charger are made to handle. Plus the suspension might have to be different to handle the extra weight, and it might even call for more crash testing because of that.

... I'am realy sick of this "concept vehicle humbug" ... thay have nothing real,
just "visions" (beside the R8 e-tron bogus) ...
Audi is particularly bad about this. I forget how many e-trons they have already, it seems they come up with a new one every few months. Yet they don't even have a demonstration fleet like BMW (MINI-E & ActiveE) and Mercedes (Smart ed & A-class EV) does.

Is there a 4 door saloon in the 1 series? I thought it was 2 door only.

There is the 4 (5) door hatchback:
thumb-1series_09.jpg

And a photoshop "what-if":
BMW 1-Series Sedan | Theophilus Chin
I love the BMW 1-Series. Sadly it isn’t available as a 4-door sedan. So I will have to make do with my own renderings.
I think BMW already had a sedan 4-door 1-series testing some time back. Perhaps they are waiting for the hatch to start losing sales before bringing out the sedan?

Last edited:
Designed as a plug-in hybrid, the A3 e-tron concept is propelled by two power units....give the notchback a range of up to 54 km (34 miles) on electric power alone.

Alright...so I drive to the gas station to fill the gasoline tank and then I plug in the Mennekes to charge the 12kW in one hour (32A@400V).

The alternator could fill up the battery while driving. It generates around 1kWh - so driving 12 hours would fill the battery as well.....hurray, hurray!! ;(