Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... touchpad is new MMI Standard for A6 and above

+ Mennekes
+ SOC LCD in Chargeport
- no frunk !

purposes of the right Port at 8:15 - Fuel ? Hybrid ?

-----------
Déjà-vu ... Audi metroproject quattro - Tokyo Motor Show 2007

2011 - almost nothing left ... I'm driving currently an A1 ... not worth to wear the Rings ....

Last edited:
Closer-to-production R8 e-Tron

IFWT_AudiR8e-tron.png

Closer-to-production R8 e-Tron

And what a horrible proposition it is. It's range and accelleration is barely beating the Model S, and it's about as practical as a Roadster. Unless it's priced significantly below the Roadster and considering the R8 name I doubt that, I can't see what the R8 tron brings to the table? Slightly more comfort in a crazy performance oriented design though without the actual performance? I get the ICE R8 and what it brings to the table I just don't get the R8 etron? Can someone please explain this to me?

Cobos

And what a horrible proposition it is. It's range and accelleration is barely beating the Model S, and it's about as practical as a Roadster. Unless it's priced significantly below the Roadster and considering the R8 name I doubt that, I can't see what the R8 tron brings to the table? Slightly more comfort in a crazy performance oriented design though without the actual performance? I get the ICE R8 and what it brings to the table I just don't get the R8 etron? Can someone please explain this to me?

Cobos

i don't get it either man. I actually think the ICE R8 LOOKS better, is more practical and will likely be cheaper. I mean... limited range AND subpar performance to a base R8? Sheesh.

i don't get it either man. I actually think the ICE R8 LOOKS better, is more practical and will likely be cheaper. I mean... limited range AND subpar performance to a base R8? Sheesh.
I agree. When they don't sell they will say"we tried, nobody wanted elecctric". Too bad for them though as Tesla is proof it is possible to make what people want at a reasonable price.

I agree. When they don't sell they will say"we tried, nobody wanted elecctric". Too bad for them though as Tesla is proof it is possible to make what people want at a reasonable price.

They should've done a VW bluesport concept first -- but then it would have been an expensive VW. I guess they ARE sort of following Tesla by making the expensive one first then trickling down. They just failed at making it compelling.

They should've done a VW bluesport concept first -- but then it would have been an expensive VW. I guess they ARE sort of following Tesla by making the expensive one first then trickling down. They just failed at making it compelling.
Yes, I dont think that any manufacturer can match Tesla's specs for the price. Well, they could compete, but lose money on every vehicle sold. I don't think anyone except Nissan is willing to do it.

It might appeal to those waiting for a Model S coupe, but not at the price of an R8. They should have done a bit more in performance even if it means charging a higher price. It's not like they will make it in enough volume to make it cost less than a ICE R8 or anywhere close to a Model S.

IMHO that's the problem all established car makers face when doing an EV: Every Joe and Jeanne draws comparisons with the sibling ICE model. With current EV technology, they will find lots of drawbacks
less top speed
less range
less cargo space
reduced number of seats
higher price

How they try to get out of the hot water:
* Renault is teaming up with Better Place to bring the Fluence Z.E. to customers
* BMW starts a sub brand (BMWi) and constructs completely new EVs/PHEVs
* Rolls Royce might bring their EV prototype to production, price will simply not matter
* the EVs are not sold to private customers (Smart ED as of now, new Toyota RAV4 EV)

Dare I say the opposite strategy is taken, too:
GM proposes the Volt and sells the Cruze

Then they roll over, kick their feet in the air, and shout: "see, I tried, but it didn't work (in the real world)". Oops, sounds familiar.

Then they roll over, kick their feet in the air, and shout: "see, I tried, but it didn't work (in the real world)". Oops, sounds familiar.

Sure, they can and will do that. Then new players like Tesla will come in and eat their lunch.

If a major transition to EV technology does happen, and despite the naysayers I believe it is inevitable, you can expect many if not most of the major existing car companies to go under. It will take time for the pendulum to swing, but when it does it will slam right into them. There are many historical parallels. None of the electron tube companies survived, despite some of them investing in that new-fangled transistor technology. Yes, early transistors sucked compared to tubes, but the technology improved and the market for tubes imploded. Sound familiar?

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

There is a shift here. The hydrogen fuel cell seems to have stalled on the side of the road with the charade largely over.
All the car makers have now seen the Lithium EV race by and they are now racing to catch up. They guys are now 5 or more years behind Pole position.

Audi to offer electric cars in 5-10 years: report | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

Thank you Martin.

If anyone Sees any other EV's out there that they think should join us at EV Fest - EV Fest - Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival - point them over to the EV Fest Thread here for the latest updates! Thanks Guys, and if anyone else is within a charge or two of Toronto for Oct. 23, 2011 - c'mon down and check us out! Last years show was a blast and we had but 1 Roadster! Make it a Rainbow this year!

Robert

A lot of lip service from Audi, but nothing substantial yet. Even their prototypes are behind the s and roadster when it comes to range and performance. Considering they'll be charging premium prices anyway you'd think they could fit more batteries in there.

A lot of lip service from Audi, but nothing substantial yet. Even their prototypes are behind the s and roadster when it comes to range and performance. Considering they'll be charging premium prices anyway you'd think they could fit more batteries in there.

I agree but I also think Audi and others are waiting to see how well the S will do before going whole hog.

Audi decided in 2010 to do the R8 e-tron as a small series, sales start in 2012. It is a pilot project. How would you start an EV line as an established car maker?

I certainly wouldn't do it by putting out an electric sports car that costs more and has poorer performance than the only other production sports ev. Though, they probably assume, with some truth, that most have never even heard of the roadster. Even in that case, with the torquey electric motor, at least beat the ICE counterpart.

About the R8 eTron Spyder:

lead5-2014-audi-e-tron-spyder-qs.jpg

The two electric motors on the forward axle are good for a total of 89 horsepower, and their juice gets combined with a rear-mounted, twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 TDI's producing 296 hp, for a grand total during full boost mode of 385 hp. While torque at the wheels in these e-hybrid cases can be a delicate science, Audi's head of showcar/prototype development Uwe Haller tells Autoblog that the torque from the two electric motors from 0 rpm is really around 260 pound-feet versus anything like the theoretical 1,950 lb-ft at the 12,000-plus rpm spindle advertised for the e-tron coupe. In other words, Audi has started wisely giving us the actual torque numbers where the rubber meets the road surface. In boost phase of acceleration, the maximum torque for this spyder stands at 739 lb-ft between the bi-turbo diesel V6 and two electric units. In the end, the 3,200-pound e-tron Spyder could dash to 60 mph in approximately 4.2 seconds.

Range isn't an issue since it's a hybrid, but at least the performance on this one matches the base V8 R8.