Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at Bloomberg TSLA data:Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA:US) Stock Quote Analysis - BloombergWith the Float of nearly 39 million shares and the shorts near 24 it would appear to me (who does not have much of a clue) that there would be a lot of demand for TSLA stocks should there be any volatility in the rest of the market. Do I have that right?
The float is actually a lot closer to 50 million since those Venture Capital positions are stale (they have sold by now). Still it is 20 days to cover the 24 million shares short which is one of the highest ratios of any stock of any significance. If the shorts panick and start to cover it will be squeeze city but generally the shorts don't panic.

If the shorts Broker says pay it back, then they may not have a choice? Isn't that how it works?
Yes, but some of the large holders of the stock lend their stock to shorts and have longstanding policies of earning the Short rebate (currently 10-12%). So Fidelity is being paid (by the shorts) 10% to wait for Tesla to succeed.

If Europe implodes the shorts will make money on almost all their short positions so 'no' I think it's hard to make a generalized statement like that.

Last edited:
Anyone notice the unusual movement in the stock? This has happened quite a few times over the past few weeks. In fact, more or less during every rally. It seems to frequently jump 2-3% then fall off a cliff for no reason. Seems like someone is trying really hard to keep the price low. Any thoughts? Only thoughts I have is low volume. For some reason this stock isn't catching the attention of investors yet. If this is right, once it does, it should take off, prompting a huge short squeeze once new investors begin jumping in.

Anyone notice the unusual movement in the stock? This has happened quite a few times over the past few weeks. In fact, more or less during every rally. It seems to frequently jump 2-3% then fall off a cliff for no reason. Seems like someone is trying really hard to keep the price low. Any thoughts? Only thoughts I have is low volume. For some reason this stock isn't catching the attention of investors yet. If this is right, once it does, it should take off, prompting a huge short squeeze once new investors begin jumping in.

Volatile stock price...means big price swings. Aside from the shorts and speculators, it also means that there is profit taking whenever the price jumps a a little; when profit taking occurs, that causes a temporary minor glut and the price falls again....Basic supply & demand rules...

I know, I know. I realize this is a long term investment, and I am planning on holding for 3-5 years. Just curious if anyone else noticed this. I also saw it being frozen around $27 flat for about 3 hours. This has happened quite a bit over the past few weeks. The amount of bad press this is getting is seriously leading me to believe that someone is trying to keep the price where it is. I don't expect any substantial run up until February 9th, but this type of movement has me baffled. It almost feels as if someone (or or some group) is trying to manipulate the stock by taking advantage of low volume. Even Elon Musk has mentioned that the stock seems to be under attack by shorts. The questionable short case defended by various "News Groups" has me thinking that anything could be possible. It's not a crime to publish negative "Opinions", or to take advantage of low volume. There are a lot of big pockets behind these shorts. Honestly, nothing would surprise me. I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, but this has me baffled.

I know, I know. I realize this is a long term investment, and I am planning on holding for 3-5 years. Just curious if anyone else noticed this. I also saw it being frozen around $27 flat for about 3 hours. This has happened quite a bit over the past few weeks. The amount of bad press this is getting is seriously leading me to believe that someone is trying to keep the price where it is. I don't expect any substantial run up until February 9th, but this type of movement has me baffled. It almost feels as if someone (or or some group) is trying to manipulate the stock by taking advantage of low volume. Even Elon Musk has mentioned that the stock seems to be under attack by shorts. The questionable short case defended by various "News Groups" has me thinking that anything could be possible. It's not a crime to publish negative "Opinions", or to take advantage of low volume. There are a lot of big pockets behind these shorts. Honestly, nothing would surprise me. I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, but this has me baffled.
If you're going to keep the stock for 3-5 years, it sounds from your posts that you may be better off not even looking at the stock quotes. If you're following it hour by hour, it will just lead to the unnecessary stress you seem to have over the ups and downs of the stock. Check it out once a week or something or even once a day but following it by the hour isn't going to do you any good unless you're planning on jumping on the stock to sell or buy more when it is down.

Yawn... Author actually says that Tesla might have its most recent loan request denied if there is a new administration. Pretty sure they don't have a loan application outstanding. Elon has definitely said publicly that they don't need any more money and wouldn't be applying for more loans. Makes me doubt that he did any research for the rest of the article.

Good news is I have some cash waiting to be invested, lets see if I can get some cheap prices out of this.