Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yay, it's up today! No, wait, I mean Boooo, it needs to go down for a buying opportunity! Or, uh, what number was I rooting for the chicken to poop on?

Nope. I just purchased my last 120 shares a few days ago. I just discovered I don't have to worry about short term/long term activities in my self-managed IRA account. It's all taxed as regular income as I withdraw. So, I'm hoping it goes up to nearly $50 at which point I sell a couple hundred shares and put in a buy order of 285 shares at $35. I probably won't withdraw any from my IRA (at least the TSLA part of it) until sometime next year, unless it really shoots up.

Nope. I just purchased my last 120 shares a few days ago. I just discovered I don't have to worry about short term/long term activities in my self-managed IRA account. It's all taxed as regular income as I withdraw. So, I'm hoping it goes up to nearly $50 at which point I sell a couple hundred shares and put in a buy order of 285 shares at $35. I probably won't withdraw any from my IRA (at least the TSLA part of it) until sometime next year, unless it really shoots up.
That's a real downside of using the IRA as an investment vehicle -- instead of paying the LT cap gains rate, you'll end up paying the regular income rate. In the U.S., the federal capital gains tax is much less than most people's marginal tax rate on regular income.

We've decided to break up this "Are you also investing in Tesla?" topic, because it is getting unwieldy at 191 pages and counting. It is being replaced with:

TSLA Investor News - the place to post quarterly calls, 10-Ks, analyst reports, and other news related to TSLA stock, plus directly relevant discussions.

TSLA Investor Discussions - the place to post chat about investment strategies, short squeezes, options, "oh no the stock went up/down", etc.

These two threads have also been made sticky - we'll see how that works.

Thanks!

Footnote - please do not post further commentary in this thread. It will be moved to TSLA Investor Discussions.

Last edited: