Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the capitalization of less then 3 billion is little for a carmaker. the development of a new car like Models S or Chevy Volt cost more then one billion each.

True, that's what it costs big carmakers. Pretty sure Model S development was sub-$500 million.

I agree $3B is a small market cap for a giant car maker, but Tesla is not one of those. I will say however that if Tesla's growth rate is what we think it will be, then it is entirely possible that the market would give them a multiple more like Salesforce.com (CRM) or what Netflix used to have. Slap one of those multiples on TSLA and all of the sudden its not expensive, its cheap.

I don't remember any single Event Tesla has done affecting stock prices the next day.

Ummm, remember that little event in Freemont on Oct 1-2 last year.....of course, the leap didn't come on the Monday, but did come on the Tuesday after the media reporting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3953&d=1327444851.jpg

Oct 1 graph.jpg

(Enough proof? :wink:)

Last edited:
Can't say for sure but I think when the Model S pricing went up there was a bump.

On the contrary...the e-mail went out on the evening of 12/20 and look what happened:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3954&d=1327445346.jpg

Pricing Day.jpg

See my other post above replying to Eric to see the October event media effect.

P.S. You can see all this just by entering the ticker symbol into Google and then moving the slider bars to show different dates.

Last edited:
Ummm, remember that little event in Freemont on Oct 1-2 last year.....of course, the leap didn't come on the Monday, but did come on the Tuesday after the media reporting....

Yeah, My point was we are paying attention and look for it the next day. I'll give you this even though the larger view has it high early in Sept.

Wow, so there is going to be a buy opportunity the day after the Model X announcement? Thanks for the tip!

Whoa, hold on there buddy. You're sort of assuming that the media coverage will be positive; I'm guessing it will be, but we have to wait and see. After the Model S launch the share price went up, after the Model S pricing announcement it dipped. This is still a volatile stock and anything could happen.

P.S. Just for the record, I'm not giving stock tips and I'm not a registered financial advisor...everything you do is your own responsibility! :smile:

I was just having a joke sir.
That's ok....I make most of my income as an investor, more times than not I do pretty well but I'd hate for someone to follow me over the cliff if that should ever happen (God forbid!)

The last chart, I guess that is when it broke and went into the mid 30's. Any opinion what carried it so high so fast?
Honestly, it's tough to see real specific outside influences. After the October event there was a clear trend upwards right through to December 7. when the share price went into freefall. My basic view: the stock (was seen as) overheated and the short-sellers piled in which drove the price down. I believe in Tesla as a company and I'm in for the long-haul but never assume that Dec 7. and afterwards was a unique event.

However, this doesn't take into account the short covering that likely happened on the 14th, since the period for this report ended the 13th. The next report will be very interesting. All of the upgrades that have occurred since then, combined with any shorts that covered after making 20%, will likely precipitate a huge drop in short float. Accounting for the higher volume (since overall market volume has increased since January and the release of news pertaining to sales + the event on February 9th, and this is very relevant)