Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regret getting an X over an S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model X does not have more cargo space than the Model S. The 5 seat model I'm not sure about as it is relatively new. The 6 and 7 seat models have far less cargo capacity than the Model S because the two seats behind the driver and passenger do not fold flat but merely move forward. They are a huge obstacle when you try to stuff cargo in the back of the car.
You're just wrong. Instead of conjecture, I've sourced the following information:

- The Model S has 58.1 cu. ft. with the seats flat. (Source: Tesla)
- My 6 seat has 62.6 cu. ft. not including the space underneath the 2nd row seats and between the 2nd and front row seats (because there's room there too.) (Source: Tesla)
- The 5 seat has 88.1 cu. ft. - more than 50% more cargo volume than the Model S. (Source: Tesla)

I should add that compared to the MS, the MX has more head room, leg room, shoulder room, and hip room in both the first and second row. Understandable given it's a bigger vehicle.

Last edited:
From the Tesla website: Looks like 35% more cargo space for the MX in 5 seat config.

Model X Total interior storage 88.1 cu ft in the five seat configuration

Model S

• Total cargo volume 31.6 cu ft
  • Rear cargo volume 26.3 cu ft
    With seats down 58.1 cu ft

The Model X does not have more cargo space than the Model S. The 5 seat model I'm not sure about as it is relatively new. The 6 and 7 seat models have far less cargo capacity than the Model S because the two seats behind the driver and passenger do not fold flat but merely move forward. They are a huge obstacle when you try to stuff cargo in the back of the car.

I can confirm this. Doesn't matter what the specs are. Costco is easier in the S for us. We also had to pick up furniture (hallway table) in the S because it wouldn't fit in the X. It probably wouldn't have been an issue in the 5 seater, and of course we could've brought a trailer.

The lack of folding in the middle row is silly, and I don't really notice my pieces or "art" monoposts in a black interior.

That said, the frunk is much more useable in the X vs the newer S. We put a stroller in our X while we are unable to carry much more than literally a couple of diaper bags (back packs) in the frunk of the S.

I can confirm this. Doesn't matter what the specs are. Costco is easier in the S for us. We also had to pick up furniture (hallway table) in the S because it wouldn't fit in the X. It probably wouldn't have been an issue in the 5 seater, and of course we could've brought a trailer.

The lack of folding in the middle row is silly, and I don't really notice my pieces or "art" monoposts in a black interior.

That said, the frunk is much more useable in the X vs the newer S. We put a stroller in our X while we are unable to carry much more than literally a couple of diaper bags (back packs) in the frunk of the S.

The usable length of the MX cargo area is less than the MS - because of the post seats (I agree it's a nonsensical design). The usable cargo volume with the MX is higher than the S.

Separately, for the 5 seat X: 88.1-58.1 = 30. 30 more cubic feet. 30/58.1 = ~52%. The 5 seat X has 52% more cargo volume than the S.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr Doom

I don't understand why would anyone use a 150K vehicle to haul furniture. I would rather get the Home Depot rental truck for $19 or pay one of the third party delivery services that are available at some of the Costcos for about $35.

The cargo space in both S and X is sufficient for road trips.

I don't understand why would anyone use a 150K vehicle to haul furniture. I would rather get the Home Depot rental truck for $19 or pay one of the third party delivery services that are available at some of the Costcos for about $35.

The cargo space in both S and X is sufficient for road trips.

- Total cost of (est) ownership of my S is less than a Hyundai Genesis.
- Total cost of (est) ownership of my X is less than that of a Ford Explorer (and a Toyota Sienna)

I don't see any complaints on those cars hauling furniture (nor $70,000 pickups)

TCO aside, straight purchase price (less incentives) of my X + my S combined cost less than $150k. So let's not pretend all of these cars are unobtainium. Not every single one is a P100DL

Last edited:
I hate to keep on correcting you, but....

I think we communicate in very different ways. I don't quite follow or understand your point...

The reason I said it "doesn't matter what the specs are" is because we don't necessarily fill to maximum capacity using a liquid. I was attempting to demonstrate actual day to day usage comparison for the two cars.

For example. If I'm running to the grocery store and grabbing eggs, the side compartments on my S trunk are perfect! They're also perfect for holding bottles of soda from rolling or keeping wine upright. In the X I also lack this type of "holder" These things aren't necessarily captured in specs, but do make a difference in usability or livability or whichever correct verb is in this context. Overall, cargo management/usability/livability for us is better in the S than it is in the X.

Perhaps I did not do a good enough job in explaining that, for that I apologize.

For the second part. I also stated that the problem I had with my hallway table most likely wouldn't have been a problem in a 5 seater (I have a 7) but you proceeded to do measurements that validated it wouldn't be a problem. I see this as a confirmation, so I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on...

un·ob·tain·i·um (ənəbˈtānēəm) noun: Replacement parts and components of Tesla vehicles.
Used in a sentence: Damn, I've been without my Tesla for 2 months because it's made of unobtainium.

This one, I'm not following entirely. Sorry. I can't make sense of whether it's a joke, or if it's actually a correction, or what.

Sorry. I can't make sense of whether it's a joke, or if it's actually a correction, or what.
i-dont-always-go-overboard-on-jokes-but-when-i-do-the-other-pers.jpg

I am ordering an X, but originally wanted an S. Ordering the X for its people moving ability, but the doors scare the crap out of me. They worry me in weather, and they worry me for long term reliability.

Just wondering if anyone who has the X is now regretting not going with an S. The way I see it, the S can move 5 people, just not quite as comfy as the X can with a 6 seat config, but is the extra seating worth the headache of the doors?
Simple answer is no regrets. Not with prior 6 seater or new 5 seater.

There may be more volume in my x but no way is it as easy to get big awkward things into. I like it and I've grown accustom to the front power doors which are awesome and the ease of ingress and egress from the vehicle is 10x better for my parents, also I do like the seats better in the x but if the s gets some of those features and maybe an even larger battery or more range (when the new cells come out) I will be selling my x to get back into the s.

I really feel like the x could be the best SUV on the planet if they fix a few things. Personally I'd start with range then immediately address the folding seat problem. For those who don't want to "rent a truck" to haul something minor it would change everything. I avg 390 wh/mile in my x, I hooked up my bike rack and put one 16lb bike on it, my wh/mile went to 550.... in the s nothing changes except the back seats fold down.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Love the X over S for size, easy of getting in/out, and the windshield since tall.

Hate the X due to the fact it has been in service a lot for odd things, and the touchscreen in mine at least has been unresponsive 95%+ of the time for the last 2-3 months. Taking it in for 3rd 4th try to fix Monday even - then am going to have to look at perm options of lemon law or arbitration/replacement request. The rest of the car seems up to par now though somewhat, but still not as solid as the S was.

-T

Love the X over S for size, easy of getting in/out, and the windshield since tall.

Hate the X due to the fact it has been in service a lot for odd things, and the touchscreen in mine at least has been unresponsive 95%+ of the time for the last 2-3 months. Taking it in for 3rd 4th try to fix Monday even - then am going to have to look at perm options of lemon law or arbitration/replacement request. The rest of the car seems up to par now though somewhat, but still not as solid as the S was.

-T
At this point, will Tesla replace your whole touchscreen? Especially when it's been that many visits already.

A friend has an S and when traveling with him we blend in and can drive around in almost total anonymity while the X turns heads wherever we go.

Excuse me?
The X is certainly not the head mover here, the S is. Everytime i drive my S, people always look to it and give a thumbs up.
Its a sexy looking car. I've been in the X a few times and it blends in with everything else. It gets no thumbs up as it looks ordinary while on the road, in my opinion.
You also say there are huge differences in features and abilities between the two. What nonsense!
They are basically the same except for the doors.
I wasn't trying to insult your car or hurt your feelings. If you think they are basically the same except for the doors then good for you and enjoy your car. I was just reading the other posts and it seems people who have driven both also like the X unless they are moving tables or something to do with that. I was only trying to state the fact that it is a updated SUV version of what Tesla designed 7 years ago and doesn't blend in with all the other cars on the road at least here in the US. Someone said you are from a remote area in Canada where the S is uncommon so I guess it makes sense that people might take pictures of it so I appoligise. Good luck with your car and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I have had several S's and currently drive an X. I would never go back to an S. The X is an amazing with all the cabin space, the windsheild and the comfy seats. Its a no brainer.

If someone has not lived with the X they don't know how hard it is to go back to an S with that closed in feeling without the large windshield. It has all the features that make SUV's so popular plus everything the S has and more.

-T

Your avatar is awesome!