Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips on detailing a Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a problem with the soft-top roof. I realize this will require a brush of some sort, but does anyone have suggestions for this?
roof.jpg

Lint brush or sticky tape? What have you used?

So they just banned ALL outdoor water use in southern Ottawa until at least late August. The supply is limited due to a water main that broke during the winter (producing a sinkhole that swallowed a city maintenance truck). The city staff feel that the temporary bypass they're still using can't handle watering the grass, filling pools, etc.

They explicitly banned washing your car outdoors. Geesh, what idiots! When I wash my car I use one bucket of soapy water and a few minutes rinsing with the hose. Surely that uses LESS water than a mechanical car wash!

So they just banned ALL outdoor water use in southern Ottawa until at least late August. The supply is limited due to a water main that broke during the winter (producing a sinkhole that swallowed a city maintenance truck). The city staff feel that the temporary bypass they're still using can't handle watering the grass, filling pools, etc.

They explicitly banned washing your car outdoors. Geesh, what idiots! When I wash my car I use one bucket of soapy water and a few minutes rinsing with the hose. Surely that uses LESS water than a mechanical car wash!

what if you wash your car using water captured in a rain barrel? we've got enough of it coming down lately but will they still come after you?

In occasionally drought-ridden Florida we are allowed to use groundwater. The groundwater is full of bits of sand and dirt so we run it through a water filter (Everpure is a good one with a long-life capacity) which you can buy online for about $150. This is fine for car washing, but you will need to dry off the car as you'll get droplet marks otherwise. It also has the added benefit here of reducing your water bill!

what if you wash your car using water captured in a rain barrel? we've got enough of it coming down lately but will they still come after you?

Or, why not just park outside when it's raining?

Last edited:
Hey Doug, there is a shop in Alberta called auto obsessed ( Auto Obsessed - Auto Obsessed Ltd. )...they sell many different types of auto care products including the Griot's Garage line.

Griot's has a green coloured liquid that you spray on & wipe off called "Spray on car Wash"...spray on, wipe off with a micro fibre cloth...although I have not used this product yet, I have found the many other Griot's products that I've used to be fantastic.

The Spray on car wash is specifically designed for use when water is not available due to government by-law, shortages, etc.

If your order from Auto Obsessed is over $150.00, he waives the delivery cost and because it's from Canada, there is no duty or brokerage fees to be paid.

UPDATE:

I bought the Zaino Bros intro package, and I finally had enough time to "detail" the car. I just wanted to share my impressions. The result looked good, but I am not convinced that it was significantly superior to any other wash/wax system.

What I did:
I did the wash, dry, the clay bar, wash, dry, Z-5 pro & ZFX

When I was done, it did look very good. Definitely no swirls, but still had some shallow scratches in the clear coat (near the handle and charge port). I never used a clay bar before, and that definitely makes a difference. Zaino claims that better results are obtained with multiple layers and if you finish with Z-2 polish (after the Z-5). I admit that I didn't do that. Normally my wash takes around 30 minutes, this took significantly longer... I din't time it, but it felt like an hour and a half. Also, I don't like to wash in the sun, but better lighting would have helped. The clay bar takes away some debris easily, and some require more work. When I got out in the sun, some parts of the car looked so good that the parts I missed with the clay bar were such a disappointment (especially after taking so long to clean). I guess the first try is a learning experience.

All in all, a good product. Perhaps better results are obtained in the hands of more experienced detailers.

I agree with you...I like the finished Zaino product, but I'm not convinced that their system looks any better than Griot's and I think Griot's products are easier to apply...maybe its just me...
UPDATE:

I bought the Zaino Bros intro package, and I finally had enough time to "detail" the car. I just wanted to share my impressions. The result looked good, but I am not convinced that it was significantly superior to any other wash/wax system.

What I did:
I did the wash, dry, the clay bar, wash, dry, Z-5 pro & ZFX

When I was done, it did look very good. Definitely no swirls, but still had some shallow scratches in the clear coat (near the handle and charge port). I never used a clay bar before, and that definitely makes a difference. Zaino claims that better results are obtained with multiple layers and if you finish with Z-2 polish (after the Z-5). I admit that I didn't do that. Normally my wash takes around 30 minutes, this took significantly longer... I din't time it, but it felt like an hour and a half. Also, I don't like to wash in the sun, but better lighting would have helped. The clay bar takes away some debris easily, and some require more work. When I got out in the sun, some parts of the car looked so good that the parts I missed with the clay bar were such a disappointment (especially after taking so long to clean). I guess the first try is a learning experience.

All in all, a good product. Perhaps better results are obtained in the hands of more experienced detailers.

What I like about Zaino is that it's much easier to keep the good results going. Their "waxes" last much longer than traditional products. I only do the strip wash, clay, seal routine every two years. Now that you'd done the hard work of claying and laying down the first layer of seal, in the future you can just wash it w/ Z-7 and every few months to a quick Z-5 or Z-2 application (no ZFX needed) and it will keep looking great w/ minimal work. I also like their leather cleaning and conditioner products.

I pick up my car tomorrow!

Has anyone used Meguiars? I've heard good things about the NXT wax. One concern is that my car has the paint armor, so I'd want a wax that's compatible with that, and doesn't leave a residue at the edges of the film, nor makes the film hazy.

If it matters, my car is Thunder Gray.

I picked up a Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (16oz Quick Detailer, 2x80gm clay bars, 6oz quik wax, & microfiber towel) and a couple of extra microfiber towels the other day. Today, I washed the car, dried it with a large microfiber towel, used the quick detailer & one of the clay bars, and then used the quik wax. The kit is designed for clear coat surfaces.

I was very surprised on how the car came out. The surface feels & looks like glass - very nice. I have never used clay before and I agree with kgb that it makes a difference. Our Roadster is sterling silver and it just shines!