Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tips on detailing a Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this thread about detailing a Tesla Roadster on a different forum. He works for Adam's Polishes but it looks nice.
SByer: I went ahead and ordered from Girot's Garage: Interior Cleaner Wipes, Leather Care Wipes, and The Detailer's Handbook. I found 'Raggtopp Fabric Cleaner and Protectant Kit' on Amazon so I guess that's the stuff you were talking about as well. Thanks again.

Dave

Last edited:
I assume the ones where you hold the spray wand yourself are ok?

I've used a home pressure washer for a year now on the roadster with no ill-effect; it's especially good for keeping the suspension parts clear of stones and muck.

As a year-round driver, the only issue I've had has been the stone chips, actually, the almost complete removal of the paint on the sills. I'm heading into the second winter and I don't expect to have any paint left on there by spring. I'm still waiting on a long term fix from Tesla.

Mine is just a wash routine. That MB thread is a full detail job. On the Tesla Owners forum someone put up a long post covering their whole wash routine. That was back in early 2009 but the new forum does not seem to have a search engine.

I've got the whole Zaino system on the way. He suggested going ahead and applying the Zaino products as soon as the car arrived (not waiting 6 months for the paint to harden) since his products are not wax based. Does that sound right? I guess I'll wash the car with dawn and follow his suggestions/instructions online when it gets here if it does. I've never really spent any time detailing a car before so would hate to get the Roadster and mess up the paint in the same day.

Scratching is the only real worry - use soft things, don't use random rags (borderless cotton or microfiber towels won't scratch, cut up t-shirts with logos on them will), don't overuse the same one, and don't wear jeans or anything with a button on it. It's good to break out sweats (without a grommet) and a cotton t-shirt to detail a car in. And wash the towels yourself afterwards - it's the only way to make sure that no fabric softener gets involved in their cleaning.

I printed out Zaino's instructions and taped them to the side of the garage so I could glance at them. It's pretty easy stuff. Wish we had it 20 years ago.

how about a solar-Tesla?

This guy is actually using a fully functioning Solar-Tesla :) I don't know what it cost but you gotta admit it looks pretty damn nice
:wink:
Solar Tesla.jpg

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/det...n/46359-2010-tesla-roadster-sport-detail.html
Products used on the exterior:
2 Bucket's, Grit Guard, and Caddies
Adam's prototype foam gun...soon to be released!
Adam's Car Shampoo
Adams wheel and fender brushes
Power Stick
Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner
Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
Adam's In and Out Spray
Adam's Detail Spray
Adam's Clay bar
Adam's Undercarriage Spray
Adam's Waterless Wash
Adam's Glass Cleaner
Ton's of Adam's Double Soft, Waterless Wash, and Glass Towel's

Paint Correction:
Porter Cable 7424XP
Porter Cable cordless drill
Adam's 7.5in foam pads
Adam's 4in spot foam pads
Adam's Swirl and Haze
Adam's Fine Machine Polish
Finished with Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax

Interior:
Adam's Leather Cleaner
Adam's Leather Conditioner
Adam's Foam Applicators
Adam's Interior Brush
Metro Vac with various attachments
IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

So I'm researching local self-service car washes so I can at least rinse mine off as it's absolutely disgustingly filthy from the recent winter driving ... There's a scrub-a-dub with self-service bays which I'm going to go check out but as I'm researching, I cam across a link and what do I notice at the bottom of the page? Take a look :)

http://www.newcarswashfree.com/

I'm not usually concerned about the appearance of my car, but with my Tesla, because it is a bit of a statement, I want it to look its best. For the past few months, I have been washing it myself. It is a small car and doesn't take long. I've been using these special lint free, microfiber cloths. They feel like fleece. I was also using a "double bucket" technique about which I had heard. Every wash seemed to go uneventfully, so I was lulled in to a false sense of security. Recently, my car was particularly dirty and I was taking my wife out for a date, and I didn't have time to wash it myself. So I went to a hand washing place, when I got out, it was dusk and the car looked good. The next day, there were swirls all over my car. And being black, it was pretty obvious. I am very disappointed. Just warning other owners to be careful... just because they hand wash doesn't mean they will take the same care as you. Looks like they washed and dried my car with sandpaper!

Next time I wash, I'm going to try and see if my car wax will cover it up. :frown:

Last edited:
I'm not usually concerned about the appearance of my car, but with my Tesla, because it is a bit of a statement, I want it to look its best. For the past few months, I have been washing it myself. It is a small car and doesn't take long. I've been using these special lint free, microfiber cloths. They feel like fleece. I was also using a "double bucket" technique about which I had heard. Every wash seemed to go uneventfully, so I was lulled in to a false sense of security. Recently, my car was particularly dirty and I was taking my wife out for a date, and I didn't have time to wash it myself. So I went to a hand washing place, when I got out, it was dusk and the car looked good. The next day, there were swirls all over my car. And being black, it was pretty obvious. I am very disappointed. Just warning other owners to be careful... just because they hand wash doesn't mean they will take the same care as you. Looks like they washed and dried my car with sandpaper!

Next time I wash, I'm going to try and see if my car wax will cover it up. :frown:
"If you want it done right, you usually have to do it yourself."

^^Very true statement, especially when it comes to small details.

I had my car detailed by a mobile car detailer recently. I had bought all the Zaino stuff but he wasn't familiar with it so he went ahead and used that Xylon stuff instead. It looks pretty good but I'll use the Zaino stuff next time.

Just an update:

The swirls from the one time wash were easily dealt with using an inexpensive liquid wax. Whew.

The liquid wax isn't perfect, and since so many are promoting the benefits of Zaino, I'll give it a shot. I'll drop $100 on their system and try it. I'll report back on whether I think it is any better than the cheap stuff I normally buy.

I know you're supposed to hand-wash the car at all times but are those car washes with just the spray wand ok (one where you pop in a few quarters and use the high pressure wand)? Would be useful after a rain at least.

dsm, I use the pressure wands at the local car wash to get rid of the slush & grime in between my regular Friday wash...I carefully pull the wand trigger down just enough to move the dirt...I never use full trigger.

I only rinse off the front from the headlights down (being careful to angle the spray away from the front fans & louvres), the doors & lower quarter panels, and the rear (again, being careful to angle the spray away from the hatch seams)...takes about 2 minutes and makes the car look significantly better getting a cursory wash like this done as opposed to doing nothing.

Due to the cold weather, I do the wash at the end of the day just prior to parking the car in the garage for the night...keeps the trunk & doors from freezing up.

dsm, I use the pressure wands at the local car wash to get rid of the slush & grime in between my regular Friday wash...I carefully pull the wand trigger down just enough to move the dirt...I never use full trigger.

Jaff, I just tried this on my Roadster. Some Googling turned up a really good spray wash place in Bell's Corners, which is ~10 minutes from home. More-or-less followed your instructions, in particular the light pull on the trigger. My Roadster looks a heck of a lot better now! The water is heated and I didn't freeze my butt. Will definitely do that again.

Due to the cold weather, I do the wash at the end of the day just prior to parking the car in the garage for the night...keeps the trunk & doors from freezing up.

By the time I got home the trunk had already frozen shut! Fortunately a very light tug while pressing the release popped it free.

What do you do for your weekly "thorough" wash? Turn your driveway into ice?

Nope!...wife's cousin has a detailing shop so I get the family rate + a high volume discount as I get my Roadster washed every Friday morning...his shop is a 2 minute drive from my office, so my car is clean inside & out and dried prior to heading back out into the cold.

His ramp does get pretty icy though...I've done a few dances on it! :redface::biggrin:

To prevent my trunk icing up, I use a dry microfiber cloth for a little hand drying before I head home.