Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recent CA owners apply for the $2,500 CVRP rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine 8 weeks ago and sent the form in right away. I got a notice that it was accepted but they won't send out checks until September. It's not a tax return, it's just the $2500 you get back, no matter what.

I'm on the same timeline as David 99 and got the same notices. USCJon you should email them and ask. I've emailed them a few times and received prompt responses.

Does anyone know if the budget has been extended? Wonder if this would still be around when the X gets to us in 2016
CVRP is in the funding proposal with the same conditions for 2014-2015 fiscal year that starts July 1, 2014. The funding for paying out the remainder of the 2013-2014 fiscal year has also been approved, so people who apply before June 30, 2014 will get their checks starting September 2014. The CVRP rebate program is a key part of CARB's emissions reduction strategy so it will likely continue for a number of years. The rebate amounts and other details may change over time, but I'm sure it will still exist in some form even for Gen III in 2017.

The current word is that the CA rebate amount for BEVs will be reduced to $2000 from the current $2500. This will most likely happen July 1st. The earlier proposal to limit awards to vehicles with prices under $50k is not going to take place.

Last edited:
I was just called by Tesla to set a delivery date of 6/28. They said that I cannot apply before delivery, but as long as I apply before July 1, I will get the $2,500 check. Sounds to me (from others on this thread) that I will receive my check in Sept.
Yeah, just make sure you get on the website and apply ASAP after receiving your car which will get you on the waiting list. You then have to mail in a copy of the purchase agreement and some other documents that you don't get until you take possession which is why you have to wait until you have the car. Read the directions on the CARB website very carefully, as they will boot you out of your spot on the waiting list if you don't follow them exactly.

When mailing in the rebate. What documents are needed?
Direct from the e-mail I got from CARB after submitting my online request:

Submit your supporting documentation
  • Your printed and signed CVRP Application Form (visit www.energycenter.org/cvrpstatus to get a copy).
  • Proof of vehicle registration. If your permanent registration has not yet arrived from the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), include a copy of the New Vehicle Dealer Notice Temporary Identification (attached to the windshield) or the Application for Registration of New Vehicle submitted by the dealer to the DMV.
  • Copy of final, executed vehicle lease or purchase agreement.
  • Proof of California residency. A copy of a California driver's license or a utility or cable bill from within the last 3 months. Other forms of valid proof include a signed, dated, and notarized rental agreement or a copy of a current DMV vehicle registration.
So I submitted the printed application form, a copy of the application for registration I received from Tesla the day I picked up the car, a copy of the purchase agreement that I also received from Tesla the day I picked up the car, and a copy of my driver's license. Couple days after mailing all this stuff, I received an e-mail stating that they had my documentation, with a link to check on the status of my rebate.

Direct from the e-mail I got from CARB after submitting my online request:

So I submitted the printed application form, a copy of the application for registration I received from Tesla the day I picked up the car, a copy of the purchase agreement that I also received from Tesla the day I picked up the car, and a copy of my driver's license. Couple days after mailing all this stuff, I received an e-mail stating that they had my documentation, with a link to check on the status of my rebate.

Great. Thank you so much. I am expecting my car late Aug.

When mailing in the rebate. What documents are needed?

-
Someone mentioned July 1 will go down to 2000 instead of 2500 rebate

If I had known that, i never would have ordered the car. California should keep that in mind. If they want people to buy cars, and the incentives (federal and state) come out to $10,000 then I think there's a psychological advantage when it comes to motivating people.

No, I wasn't serious about not buying the car had I known. I did have a plan based on a $10,000 figure, but my wife wouldn't go for it. I wanted to invest $10,000 in Tesla stock when it was under $30/share and sell it when it was high enough to cover the cost of the car. That would have taken under two years. I would have needed the rebate to pay off my original investment jut so I could have said that it cost me nothing. My target selling price was $250, and when the stock hit that level, a $2500 state rebate was in place.

I am serious about the $10,000 incentive seeming more attractive psychologically. It would probably make much less difference with Tesla than with cheaper eligible vehicles though.