Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 and MY eligible for CA CVRP rebate after Tesla price cuts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave them a call and they essentially said two conditions must be met: 1) price must be within limit (this one is fulfilled due to recent price drop) and 2) the car manufacturer must apply and be approved by the program to be an eligible vehicle. So the onus is on Tesla to apply and the program to approve them. Not sure how long this process will take, or if Tesla even plans on applying.

The representative told me to inquire with Tesla. I don't have any means to contact anyone in corporate but the employees at my local Tesla said they are unaware of any news regarding CVRP.

Emailed Tesla and the said that they have initiated the application process. Called CVRP and they confirmed that as well but are unsure how long approval will take and unsure if it would be retroactive. Logically I don’t see why it wouldn’t be but it would be nice to have confirmation.
Thanks for the update, who at Tesla confirmed that? When I call CVRP they had no idea!

why not? why would they change the qualification from one year to another?
I don't think there would be any change to the CVRP program qualification, but the new Federal Inflation Relief Act is saying the Tesla Model Y is not an SUV unless it has 7 seats. I'm just saying this creates a vehicle classification disconnect between California and the Fed. I don't think it should matter because they are different programs, but seems a little odd they are not aligned.

I don't think there would be any change to the CVRP program qualification, but the new Federal Inflation Relief Act is saying the Tesla Model Y is not an SUV unless it has 7 seats. I'm just saying this creates a vehicle classification disconnect between California and the Fed. I don't think it should matter because they are different programs, but seems a little odd they are not aligned.
I don't think the CVRP money comes from Fed Inflation Relief Act?

Thanks for the update, who at Tesla confirmed that? When I call CVRP they had no idea!
I emailed the Marina del Rey delivery center and they said they had initiated the application process. Tesla has to apply to CARB, who then updates CVRP on vehicle eligibility. I also emailed CARB, but they told me that "Manufacture vehicle certification is business confidential. You may contact the manufacturer directly and inquire further about this topic. They may provide information where they are in the process if they choose to do so. Manufacturer contact information can be found online."

Tesla's reply to my email about CVRP:
"Yes, our team is working on that, but we don't know the timing quite yet.

Once they update their website we'll know then it is ready."

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and RoBoRaT
Tesla was out of CVRP eligible vehicle list due to price increase in Mar 2022. CVRP rebate is for vehicles pricing $45,000 or less. So Tesla Model 3 should be included in CVRP eligible vehicles list with a price of $43,990. But Tesla has to apply to CVRP to be included. I am waiting to see the inclusion. Hurry up Tesla. CVRP gives a generous rebate of $2,000/BEV and another $2,500/BEV to low income buyers.
CVRP-Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

This is correct, also CVRP plans to raise their supplemental award for low-income individuals to $4500, for a total CVRP award of $7500 for low-income individuals.

Those in the Bay Area taking advantage of Clean Cars For All, and combined with the federal tax credit, will have nearly $25,000 off a Model 3! Considering dealership markups of other vehicles and eligibility of these funds, a Model 3 will literally be more affordable than your average economy class sedan. Tesla is missing out on a huge amount of potential buyers if they don’t get on this.

Emailed Tesla and the said that they have initiated the application process. Called CVRP and they confirmed that as well but are unsure how long approval will take and unsure if it would be retroactive. Logically I don’t see why it wouldn’t be but it would be nice to have confirmation.
This is great news. I called CRVP this morning and they had no knowledge of this and referred me to speak to Tesla. However they did say that it would be retroactive for 90 days after purchase. So if a purchase was made today and Tesla reapplied for the CRVP, then you could submit it up to 90 days after purchase price. She wasn't sure on the time it takes to get approved. Sure wish this was confirmed as I'm trying to get the federal and CRVP credit.

This is the email I received from CVRP this morning:

Thank you for your email. Vehicle manufacturers must apply for Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) eligibility with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and meet a number of program requirements. If all program requirements are met, the vehicle is added to the list of eligible vehicles on our website. At this time, Tesla has not applied.

Please note: Certain plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are only eligible for a rebate if they are purchased/leased on or after the vehicle eligibility date.

We cannot guarantee a vehicle will be approved by CARB and added to our eligible vehicle list. Therefore, if the rebate is an important factor in your decision to purchase/lease the vehicle, we recommend that you use your best judgment given the information provided on our website.

The bold text was highlighted in the email. I think Tesla models will eventually be added to the list, but I'm no longer sure that the eligibility will be retroactive. I don't get why they make certain PHEVs non-retroactive and other EVs retroactive.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna