Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California CVRP Rebate - Response Regarding Lowering MSRP to Qualify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a question about what constitutes a good proof of purchase - it seems some people have been able to get by with just the order agreement? (CVRP $2000 MYP Qualification based on order date. Anyone have a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement?)

Currently, the income limits change if "purchase" happens after Feb 24 - my delivery is some time in late March / April, but my order is already placed. Would I be able to still claim the CVRP rebate with my order agreement document?

Trawled through documentation on CVRP website which states that
a) "purchase date" is defined as the date when vehicle is registered with California DMV
View attachment 907410

and

b) there's a few different permutations for allowed documents for proof of purchase, one of which includes the order agreement but only if it contains a VIN (mine doesn't) - https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...on/cvrp/Tesla_Sample_Supporting_Documents.pdf
View attachment 907411 View attachment 907412

Given the discrepancy between seemingly hard coded requirements on CVRP website on the one hand and feedback from a TMC member above (who was able to get by with just the order agreement), which do I believe? Does anyone have experience with the strictness of the documentation required by CVRP?
There is no way I'll be able to get the car delivered + registered with DMV before Feb 24th :(
The documentation is probably a moot issue for you. The income limits changed February 24 of last year. These are the current limits
  • $135,000 for single filers
  • $175,000 for head-of-household
  • $200,000 for joint filers
These are the current dates to be mindful of:

01/12/23 (purchase date): The date Teslas become eligible for the CVRP again

02/28/23 (application date): Effective date for increased rebates for consumers with household incomes that are less than or equal to 400% of the federal poverty level.

04/15/23 (application date): Last date to apply for the rebate using the figures from your 2021 tax return. Beginning 04/16/23, they will use the figures from your 2022 tax return.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: chobra
CVRP website update:
"Tesla orders placed on or after January 12, 2023

You may be eligible for a CVRP rebate if you ordered a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y on or after January 12, 2023. To be eligible, the vehicle must be on the CVRP eligible vehicles page within 90 days of first registration. Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements."

Link: Can I apply for a rebate for my Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model Y? | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
I don't understand why eligibility go by order placed and not the purchased agreement date or DMV registration date.

So is the rebate $2000 on Model 3 and not $4,500? and Also, on 28th the increased amount to $7,500, does that not apply to Tesla's?

Found this on the site showing the standard rebate is $2,000 Increased Rebate | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
Which is what it shows when you apply and it's increased by $2,500 and I am assuming when you apply showing $2000 but whatever increased rebate at that time is available is what they give you.

1677595842817.png

1677595859131.png

Last edited:
So is the rebate $2000 on Model 3 and not $4,500? and Also, on 28th the increased amount to $7,500, does that not apply to Tesla's?

Found this on the site showing the standard rebate is $2,000 Increased Rebate | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project
Which is what it shows when you apply and it's increased by $2,500 and I am assuming when you apply showing $2000 but whatever increased rebate at that time is available is what they give you.

View attachment 912248

View attachment 912251
Increased rebate amount only applies to certain income limited applicants, read this page to know if you qualify:

And make sure you even qualify for the base rebate amount:

Increased rebate amount only applies to certain income limited applicants, read this page to know if you qualify:

And make sure you even qualify for the base rebate amount:
so if you qualify for low income, you get the extra added automatically correct? There isn't a separate application for that? Just need to send you tax documents showing you qualify for low income and they would add.

so if you qualify for low income, you get the extra added automatically correct? There isn't a separate application for that? Just need to send you tax documents showing you qualify for low income and they would add.
@Paul1, will the vehicle be registered in the state of California? If not, CVRP does not apply to you. Based on your profile it says you're located in Chicago, I assume in IL not New Chicago in CA, correct?

Use this calculator to determine if you qualify and for how much:

Apply here when ready:

1677602742971.png

Reactions: Paul1
@Paul1, will the vehicle be registered in the state of California? If not, CVRP does not apply to you. Based on your profile it says you're located in Chicago, I assume in IL not New Chicago in CA, correct?

Use this calculator to determine if you qualify and for how much:

Apply here when ready:

View attachment 912297
It's actually for my cousin in Oxnard CA

Reactions: chobra
For those who have successfully applied for the CVRP, wondering if you could provide some guidance on where to access certain required docs.
Looking at the sample doc page provided by CVRP here - where does one access Sample 5 – Delivery Declaration and Due Bill as shown in page 21? I couldn't find it in my Tesla account under "documents". Thanks in advance

For those who have successfully applied for the CVRP, wondering if you could provide some guidance on where to access certain required docs.
Looking at the sample doc page provided by CVRP here - where does one access Sample 5 – Delivery Declaration and Due Bill as shown in page 21? I couldn't find it in my Tesla account under "documents". Thanks in advance
not sure if sample 6 document for delivery declaration is state specific. I didn't have to do it. But I did get the Vehicle Agreement sample 4 once I signed and took delivery showed up under my online Tesla account after 24 hours.

not sure if sample 6 document for delivery declaration is state specific. I didn't have to do it. But I did get the Vehicle Agreement sample 4 once I signed and took delivery showed up under my online Tesla account after 24 hours.
since CVRP is CA specific and they're asking for it, i'd imagine it is (or was) available in CA. I also have sample #4. Just don't have any documents where that show the date of delivery or have my signatures on it.