Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non-employee get to configure their Model 3 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5. I had to re-boot two times thus far because the sound would disappear. For example, the signal indicator should make a ticking sound (when you signal to turn left or right ) through the sound system, but sometimes it goes a way. When it does, your cell conversation also stops coming out of your speakers, and your music system stops coming out of your speakers. Your entire sound system stops working until you reboot. Can someone tell me if they are also experiencing this problem?...

Can you define "re-boot"? How do you do that?

OK, I'm an owner, not an employee and I've been driving my 16 yo daughter's new Model 3 since Saturday. As a very early adapter, I currently own Model S (23rd reservation worldwide) and Model X (#256 reservation worldwide). So here is my opinion on Model 3: For those of you that may have a sliver of worry that it may have an unfinished or cheap look, relax. The car design is amazing, simple and fitting for a full self-driving car all the way around. Drive is quick and nimble, very fun to drive (which is ironic because you may never want to enable self-driving). But I can't get over the clean look, a step beyond my Model S. It totally grows on you quickly. The car's simplicity is breathtaking.

I chose all possible options and I do believe that this car is the most technically advanced car in the world, but you wouldn't know it because of the play-down by Tesla since there is no reason to up-sell a car with over 500K deposited reservations. Instead, the focus is on selling more Model S. Hence, the more 3's in the wild, the more the realization that Model S and X will be due for upgrades/updates. Don't get me wrong, I love my Model S and have no plans to upgrade, even at 130,000 miles.

But I digress. Here are some things missing (a few already stated above):

1. Spotify will be more heavily demanded by owners as the younger crowd such as my daughter takes delivery of the car. Per Tesla, that will happen once the contract with Slacker expires. No one seems willing to disclose that timing.

2. You can't schedule charging of the vehicle because it has been temporarily disabled until a future update.

3. There is no wifi connectivity because it has been temporarily disabled until a future update. This is a bit annoying for me since I do not get cell reception at my home and therefore, no updates will be received until I move the car in an area receiving a cell signal.

4. Your Favorites music stations and your graphic equalizer settings still do not follow the Profile of the driver. Tesla needs to make this seemingly simple feature added. These setting should change to meet the preferences of the individual driver, right?

5. I had to re-boot two times thus far because the sound would disappear. For example, the signal indicator should make a ticking sound (when you signal to turn left or right ) through the sound system, but sometimes it goes a way. When it does, your cell conversation also stops coming out of your speakers, and your music system stops coming out of your speakers. Your entire sound system stops working until you reboot. Can someone tell me if they are also experiencing this problem?

6. If you bought the car with the standard wheels with hubcaps, you can remove the hubcap and the wheel underneath is actually quite nice. So you save on the cost of an upgrade (i think it's $1,500). However, you will need to buy new center caps from Tesla if you want to keep a nice stock look. I think those center caps with the Tesla logos are about $90 a piece (I'm guessing here). But the wheels are a nice surprise.

That's all I have. This car will be wildly popular.

TroyGuy
Great write up! Thank you for this. As to your point 5, we just had this happen a week ago on our Model S. We did the two thumb wheel reset and all was fine after that. Still though, it was quite odd to have zero sound (turn signal, seat belt warning, etc) for the short drive to the grocery store. I googled the issue while shopping to find out about the reset function. This seems it could be a software problem across all Tesla’s and not just the Model 3.

Edit to add: to reboot, hold the two thumbwheels in until the Tesla T appears (it can take awhile).
I haven’t tried but read elsewhere it is safe to do while driving, we did it while parked though after a short drive to the grocery store.

If you bought the car with the standard wheels with hubcaps, you can remove the hubcap and the wheel underneath is actually quite nice. So you save on the cost of an upgrade (i think it's $1,500). However, you will need to buy new center caps from Tesla if you want to keep a nice stock look. I think those center caps with the Tesla logos are about $90 a piece (I'm guessing here). But the wheels are a nice surprise.
TroyGuy

The center caps for Model S were not that expensive Less than $10 a piece IIRC.

6. If you bought the car with the standard wheels with hubcaps, you can remove the hubcap and the wheel underneath is actually quite nice. So you save on the cost of an upgrade (i think it's $1,500). However, you will need to buy new center caps from Tesla if you want to keep a nice stock look. I think those center caps with the Tesla logos are about $90 a piece (I'm guessing here). But the wheels are a nice surprise.

Actually, the 18" Aero wheel center caps are $5 each. The black plastic lug nut covers are 39 cents each.

I thought the center cap could be popped out of the aero cover and put on the wheel underneath... Is that not the case?

Great write up! Thank you for this. As to your point 5, we just had this happen a week ago on our Model S. We did the two thumb wheel reset and all was fine after that. Still though, it was quite odd to have zero sound (turn signal, seat belt warning, etc) for the short drive to the grocery store. I googled the issue while shopping to find out about the reset function. This seems it could be a software problem across all Tesla’s and not just the Model 3.

Edit to add: to reboot, hold the two thumbwheels in until the Tesla T appears (it can take awhile).
I haven’t tried but read elsewhere it is safe to do while driving, we did it while parked though after a short drive to the grocery store.
Let me also add that Tesla recommends a total power down for 3 minutes to supposedly be a permanent (or more permanent, lol) fix to the problem. You can go into the control panel to completely power the car down which is better than a system reboot for this problem.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and TQCLove
Actually, the 18" Aero wheel center caps are $5 each. The black plastic lug nut covers are 39 cents each. If you get the caps, you might consider drilling a 1/8" hole somewhere on the surface so you can remove them by inserting an allen wrench or similar instrument. You can NOT put he hub caps on without removing the center caps.
This is really good to know. Very nice!

Got to configure the 3 today . Model S owner placed order online day of event. Delivery in Chicago. delivery estimator had me Nov. - Jan.
so far so good.
Is this the Long Range model? I received the same invite today but for the Long Range model. I opted to keep my place for the base model instead. Current S owner ins So Cal with April 1,2016 reservation online

• Love
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Very strange, so I have to report. Over the weekend, I was on my way to Gold's Gym, Venice Beach. Saw one model 3 (silver) in the wild, then not more than 10 minutes later, another model 3 driving down another street (midnight silver). When I got to Gold's Gym parking, two cars down from me was yet another midnight silver model 3. Back home in Simi Valley where I live, I saw yet another one at the Regal Cinema Center (white). Today, I saw one in Century City. These cars seem like they are getting out there. I think 1st quarter deliveries will be a substantial improvement.

Reactions: Troy916