Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could buy a replacement steering wheel with a different sensor that does not require any torque, like a capacitive sensor, I would probably do it.

Not primarily for myself. I can cope with the torque requirement. (I'm an engineer.) But for other family members, who want to drive normally and hold the steering wheel just like they have done in previous cars and not get nags.

By the way, leaning a leg against the steering wheel, exerting a little friction, also helps. It creates a bit of torque every time the autopilot makes little steering movements. It may not work too well on a perfectly straight road though. I think this had been mentioned here before.

It works in the USA, but not for everything. You cannot scroll the wheel to change lanes or start moving from a stoplight/sign every time. I am still trying to figure out why sometimes a stop light/sign will require tension on the wheel and ignore scroll wheels. Seems fairly random thus far, if anyone knows?

What I would really like to see (and this is a digression so I'll make it brief) is for when AutoSteer dedices you're deadheading and aborts into "stop the car and put the hazards on" mode, it should also pull into a shoulder lane (if present) rather than stopping in the lane of travel. It would also be better to come to a more gradual stop -- the car may travel further but is less likely to be rear-ended if this fail-safe engages on a highway's center lane.

I find it distasetful that people pointing out the arguments in favor of the "nag" are being styled as thinking that 'Tesla can do no wrong'. It's possible to criticize something you like. It's also to point out the merits of something you don't.

So long as AutoSteer / AutoPilot are Level 2 autonomy (no matter how "strong" a Level 2), the large nut behind the steering wheel needs to be operating properly at all times, and it is not unreasonable to effect a mechanism to ensure this to be the case. There may be better ways than torque sensor reading to do this. But just as one can prove this system "wrong" with a "yes I am in fact here" nudge to the wheel, an alternatative system needs to be able to be "proven wrong" as well. If you do use a camera for ocular tracking and it doesn't see through your polarized sunglasses or has issues with your hairstyle or facial structure, you have to fail safe and assume the driver is not present/attentive. How would you propose the driver be able to "prove" otherwise to a camera system?

What I would really like to see (and this is a digression so I'll make it brief) is for when AutoSteer dedices you're deadheading and aborts into "stop the car and put the hazards on" mode, it should also pull into a shoulder lane (if present) rather than stopping in the lane of travel.

That's (in an overly simplistic sense) the difference between L3 and L4.

L3 REQUIRES a human to be able to take over, though not immediately as L2 does.... (hence the human need not actively be paying attention while the system is on- he just needs to be present and awake to respond to a prompt to take over in say a minute or something.

L4 does not- the difference in definition being L4 can safely pull itself over/stop if it finds itself leaving its operational domain and has no human on which to fall back.

Teslas current known issues with, say, large stationary objects on road shoulders, stands in the way of this feature right now but presumably the re-write will fix that.

That's also why I keep saying I've felt from the start L3 highway is pretty achievable on current HW and L4 there wouldd be entirely possible as well.

Only issue I can see is a case like the ODD is "not snowing or raining so heavily it significantly obscures the cameras" (which currently is enough to knock it out of NoA pretty reliably, and occasionally out of AP entirely) and it starts to snow or downpour someplace there isn't immediately a shoulder or other safe place to pull over.

Reactions: outdoors
That's (in an overly simplistic sense) the difference between L3 and L4.

L3 REQUIRES a human to be able to take over, though not immediately as L2 does.... (hence the human need not actively be paying attention while the system is on- he just needs to be present and awake to respond to a prompt to take over in say a minute or something.
We're still L2, digressing on the fail-safe mode of L2 deciding the nut behind the wheel has come loose.

It will alrady turn the hazards on and slow the car to a stop. The car can already make safe lane changes. Heck, I'd settle for the car coming to a stop in the rightmost lane if "is there a shoulder?" is beyond the current ken of the system.

No, you can't. Tested, doesn't work (Model 3 SR+, 2020.32.1).

If anybody thinks it works, then only because the hand was on the steering wheel, exerting torque.
It's in the Owner's Manual as well...

upload_2020-8-17_15-47-53.png

which Elon did promise years ago so it is probably still on the task list but the AI would need a lot of examples of how it’s done first and with shoulders being even more variable than lanes that could take a while.
I am aware that shoulders are basically not much more than a litany of edgecases, but as mentioned I'd also be happy to settle for "rightmost lane" in lieu of "whichever lane we're in right this second".