Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advantage buying used from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you buy from a private party, any features that the previous owner had (FSD for example) will transfer to you (if the owner didn’t transfer FSD to a new Tesla). If you buy from Tesla, they can remove features that a previous owner paid for. That isn’t a reason not to buy from Tesla, but if you do, make sure you know what you are and are not getting.

Reactions: CleanDemon
If you buy used from Tesla, I think it comes with an additional 1 year 10k warranty after the existing one expires. Also, any advertised features (FSD, EAP, etc) will be on the car; you won't have to worry about them getting pulled unexpectedly.

The disadvantage is not being able to test drive the car. You might be able to see it if it's local. I've done that before. If the Tesla salesman is nice they might allow you to sit in it, but no guarantees. If you buy sight unseen, you get what you get. You might be able to convince the service center that certain dings/scratches don't meet their standards and have them repaired, but that's also no guarantee.

I’m looking to buy a used Model 3 RWD here soon. Are there any advantages to buying through Tesla vs private party or another dealership? I’d be paying cash, so financing not a concern.
That's the million-dollar question.
If you can find one as a direct sale, it should be cheaper. But it definitely is sold as-is. And you may not have to pay tax on it.

I think that Tesla may give some slight additional warranty. But you should have an ample supply to choose from.

Are there any good threads anyone has found to learn about how Tesla "Used Inventory" works, what are some of the pitfalls and quirks to avoid?

Also interested in transport fees VS driving to pick up a vehicle across state lines, and what the difference between ads that physically state "Available to view" and those that do not?