Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another uniquely Canadian 3G/LTE problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I started a thread in the Model S UI forum about a problem that I have been having. Since no one has responded I am wondering if this is a uniquely Canadian problem.

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my car from 3G to LTE. When leaving home the LTE connection works fine and gives me faster speeds for Slacker downloads and Nav screen redraws. The problem is that the radio reverts to 3G when I go into a parking garage where I park at my office complex and it doesn't resynch back up to LTE after I exit the garage, despite the fact that I am in areas of the GTA with strong LTE signals where my phone has a LTE connection and where my car normally has an LTE connection. This problem happens pretty much every day.

So I am wondering if this is a Canada only problem, like the 6.2 not synching up to 3G for long periods of time. And this would only apply to cars with a LTE radio initially or those who have upgraded to LTE.

Has anyone else seen this?

I regularly had this sort of problem on my Rogers phone... I'd set it to LTE and it would indicate that connection until I got into a marginal area. Then it would come back as something less than LTE and never switch back up (even when sitting under a known LTE cell site). A reboot would fix it for me.

Given that we're thought to be using the Rogers network in Canada, I wonder if there can sometimes be an issue with the Rogers network not bumping you back up? I don't know how the system decides on this, but given phones seem to do the same thing... it could be a bug on either end.

I dropped Rogers a few months back, so haven't seen the problem on my phone lately. Car is 3G, so can't do anything more than muddy the waters as I've done... ;-)

I started a thread in the Model S UI forum about a problem that I have been having. Since no one has responded I am wondering if this is a uniquely Canadian problem.

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my car from 3G to LTE. When leaving home the LTE connection works fine and gives me faster speeds for Slacker downloads and Nav screen redraws. The problem is that the radio reverts to 3G when I go into a parking garage where I park at my office complex and it doesn't resynch back up to LTE after I exit the garage, despite the fact that I am in areas of the GTA with strong LTE signals where my phone has a LTE connection and where my car normally has an LTE connection. This problem happens pretty much every day.

So I am wondering if this is a Canada only problem, like the 6.2 not synching up to 3G for long periods of time. And this would only apply to cars with a LTE radio initially or those who have upgraded to LTE.

Has anyone else seen this?

The Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's club is meeting Thursday night (see page for details) This might be a good crowd to ask, as I know of several members who upgraded 3G to LTE after last meeting.

Does anyone know of a way to toggle off the 3G/LTE modem? I think that would fix this problem. What I have started doing is to turn on my wifi hotspot for a moment. The Tesla then consummates a Wifi connection to my hotspot. Then I shut off the hotspot and the Tesla resynchs to the mobile network but it does so as a LTE connection rather than 3G.

Given that we're thought to be using the Rogers network in Canada, I wonder if there can sometimes be an issue with the Rogers network not bumping you back up? I don't know how the system decides on this, but given phones seem to do the same thing... it could be a bug on either end.
The MS (mobile station) or, in the case of LTE, UE (user equipment) manages this via its baseband. Like the Canadian coverage dropout condition that has been discussed at length, this is most likely due to poor optimization on the Tesla side (software). The radio (MS/UE) just tunes in to whatever it's told to by the baseband.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know of a way to toggle off the 3G/LTE modem? I think that would fix this problem. What I have started doing is to turn on my wifi hotspot for a moment. The Tesla then consummates a Wifi connection to my hotspot. Then I shut off the hotspot and the Tesla resynchs to the mobile network but it does so as a LTE connection rather than 3G.
You're on the right track. I don't know of any way to do this other than you're doing, unfortunately. I'd be pretty annoyed with this if I spent money on this upgrade.