Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE slow to connect = long wait for voice commands like navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 M3LR often takes an annoyingly long time to connect to the LTE network here in the Washington DC metro area. It doesn’t matter if I’m parked at home connected to WiFi or elsewhere where I’m not. The delay can be anything from 30 seconds or so to a couple of minutes.

We’re in a well-served cellular area, and it’s awkward to have to wait to tell the car my desired destination. I am on current firmware.

Normal behavior, or should I ask Tesla for service?

Mapman

My 2023 M3LR often takes an annoyingly long time to connect to the LTE network here in the Washington DC metro area. It doesn’t matter if I’m parked at home connected to WiFi or elsewhere where I’m not. The delay can be anything from 30 seconds or so to a couple of minutes.

We’re in a well-served cellular area, and it’s awkward to have to wait to tell the car my desired destination. I am on current firmware.

Well-served cellular area by what carriers?
Tesla uses AT&T service.

Normal behavior, or should I ask Tesla for service?

If you have an AT&T phone (or can borrow one), see what signal strength you get from the local AT&T cell tower.
It may be going through a maintenance, or there may be new interference on AT&T bands in your location.

For example, I know I have lousy AT&T signal in my garage at home on AT&T and Verizon bands, but rock solid on T-Mo. Consequently, my Nav position takes 20-30 seconds to update when I pull out of my home.

At work, I get ZERO AT&T signal, so it takes 1-5 minutes to connect.

HTH,
a

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin