Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual Service - is the "hardware upgrade" dream finally dead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla has us all snookered on this one. As has been pointed out, the "hardware upgrade" is not contained within the extended service contract at all. More importantly perhaps is that the operative phrase on the web page is "necessary" hardware upgrades, and nowhere is there any indication of what is meant by that. The Tesla lawyers could very well argue that "necessary" means existing components that need to be replaced (and "upgraded" to current spec if applicable) either under warranty, because of a defect, or pursuant to a safety recall that Tesla has agreed to with the government. There are really no other scenarios where hardware upgrades are "necessary", absent a more expanded definition contained in a contract somewhere. Looking at it this way, "necessary hardware upgrades" means nothing beyond what every other car maker provides to its customers.

I think Tesla has us all snookered on this one. As has been pointed out, the "hardware upgrade" is not contained within the extended service contract at all. More importantly perhaps is that the operative phrase on the web page is "necessary" hardware upgrades, and nowhere is there any indication of what is meant by that.

The web page did not originally say "necessary", that was added later. Probably after one of the lawyer pointed out the potential problems.

Still, as you said, the contract it self has not mention of hardware upgrades, so they are probably "covered". I should have read the contract more carefully...

I think it's disingenuous on Tesla's part. Tesla's web page for the pre-paid service says "Hardware upgrades" even today, yet no such language exists in the actual contract. When you ask for what you think is a covered hardware upgrade, Tesla says no. That one line on the web page has created a lot of presumptions and confusion, and I will put the fault of that on Tesla for being intentionally vague.

+1. Tesla needs to come clean on service and define exactly what the terms of the service contract mean. Tire rotations? Everyone is getting that. Hardware upgrades? Same. Remote diagnostics? Same. All of these items are supposed to be exclusive to those who pay for service. Seems the only thing service gets us is new fob batteries and wiper blades.

They already did, you got the service at a discounted rate and locked in against any service price changes. That's all the plan is.

No, the confusion for me lies in the false advertising of annual service. I paid for it because of "new features" (yes, that was in the original language on the web) and "hardware upgrades" neither of which have come to fruition.

According to the website, it does not distinguish between the pay-as-you-go and the discounted plans in any way except for pricing. Even the $600 pay-as-you-go "plan" includes all of the same listed benefits. I still don't understand why those that prepaid are expecting anything more????

No, the confusion for me lies in the false advertising of annual service. I paid for it because of "new features" (yes, that was in the original language on the web) and "hardware upgrades" neither of which have come to fruition.
I never read that to be special to the prepaid version. Back when I bought it, you had 3 options: 1 year at a time, 4 year prepaid, 8 year prepaid. They were all service plans and so the wording applied to all of them, prepaid or not.

According to the website, it does not distinguish between the pay-as-you-go and the discounted plans in any way except for pricing. Even the $600 pay-as-you-go "plan" includes all of the same listed benefits. I still don't understand why those that prepaid are expecting anything more????
Quoted for context, not to agree or disagree.

I haven't looked at the website recently, so here's what I see now.

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors
MORE THAN JUST AN ANNUAL INSPECTION

Tesla Service includes everything needed
to keep your Model S in great condition, from an
annual inspection to 24 hour roadside
assistance and necessary hardware upgrades.
Our goal is not to just fix things, but to make
your car better than it was. However, even if
you never bring in the car, your warranty is still
valid.

Tesla Service includes
  • Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
  • Replacement parts like brake pads and
    windshield wipers (excluding tires)
  • 24 hour roadside assistance
  • System monitoring
  • Remote diagnostics
  • Hardware upgrades

Tesla Valet Service
Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that
your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced
with a loaner and then returned as soon as we
are done. There is no additional charge for
this.
]

SERVICE PLANS
PLANSDETAILSCOSTOPTIONAL RANGER
SERVICE
ANNUALTesla Service for one year or
12,500 miles, whichever
comes first
$600
at annual inspection
$100
min per visit
4-YEAR PLANTesla Service for four years
Up to 50,000 miles
$1,900
prepaid
$100
min per visit
4-YEAR PLAN +
EXTENSION
Tesla Service for eight years
Up to 100,000 miles
$3,800
prepaid
$100
min per visit

It sure seems like the hardware upgrades are made available as part of the annual, with the plan just being a way to get a discounted price for prepaying.

Also of note:
When I purchased, they offered the "ANYWHERE" flavor for an additional fee. They also offered (and later discontinued but continue to honor) the "TIRE AND WHEEL REPLACEMENT PROGRAM".

4-YEAR ANYWHERE PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSIONActive
Tesla Service for eight years
Up to 100,000 miles
Purchased on 3/22/2013

TIRE AND WHEEL REPLACEMENT PROGRAMActive

Insure your tires and wheels against road hazard damage.
This program includes tire repair and replacement, wheel
repair and replacement, tire mounting, tire balancing, and
roadside assistance for four years, as long as you
purchase by April 15th, 2013 or within 15 days of your
Model S Signature delivery.
Purchased on 4/15/2013

Oddly the PDF linked from MY TESLA doesn't speak to the "ANYWHERE" part of the plan at all.

Once again, I really wish WA/FL would allow us to get the extended warranty. Then I'd feel like I have full right to expect red carpet treatment (Sig with every plan they offered).

Last edited:
@ken, @ckessel, @brianman - Right, I think that people who cough up the $600 should get the same as those who prepaid (provided that the terms of Tesla Service never change). But the fact of the matter still stands - nobody (prepaid or a la carte) is getting hardware upgrades or anything else mentioned aside from new fob batteries and windshield wipers.

@ken, @ckessel, @brianman - Right, I think that people who cough up the $600 should get the same as those who prepaid (provided that the terms of Tesla Service never change). But the fact of the matter still stands - nobody (prepaid or a la carte) is getting hardware upgrades or anything else mentioned aside from new fob batteries and windshield wipers.

I have an example of an upgrade that happened on mine : one of the handles stopped extending a few days before my annual service. So they changed all 4 because there was a newer design less prone to such failures.
They could have stopped at just the broken one. But with this little preventive care, I was happy to pay the 600$...

I never expected them to upgrade my 60 to a P85D, when it becomes available ....

I have an example of an upgrade that happened on mine : one of the handles stopped extending a few days before my annual service. So they changed all 4 because there was a newer design less prone to such failures.
They could have stopped at just the broken one. But with this little preventive care, I was happy to pay the 600$...

I never expected them to upgrade my 60 to a P85D, when it becomes available ....

This is a warranty replacement. My dome like was not working on the driver side, and they replaced all to Gen 2 Dome lights under warranty. I did not have the service plan.

No one else builds cars that are able to take major future hardware upgrades. Look at any other car company. You can't walk into the service department and get a major 2015 feature added to a 2014 car. And if you order a 2015 car, some options are factory only. If you've taken delivery and change your mind, it's too late.

That tells me that it's hard to do it in a way that makes business sense for both the customer base and the business. I think this is one of things where Elon wanted to do better but ran into reality. So we and Tesla are just going to have settle for mostly software upgrades. And the TSBs. A lot of the TSBs seem to me to be minor hardware upgrades to bring older cars up to spec with new production where it's cost-feasible.

They've changed/added a lot of parts in my car. The only visible change was 1st to 2nd generation handles. Everything else was stuff I wouldn't have known about that they did anyway to bring the car up to current specs.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that we purchased a service agreement based on terms that Tesla had no plans of delivering on. In return, I think it only fair that they partially refund service plan patrons or offer something in return (ie. no labor costs on part upgrades as others have suggested). Elon has admitted before that $600 for "no service" is kinda absurd. Someone just needs to get around to doing something about it.

Uh, there is a cost for labor time to inspect the car. If it takes 2 people 2 hours to do a full inspection @$100/hour, that's already $400. Plus overhead for rent, admin, utilities, etc. The cost isn't just a battery and wipers. Please.

What I was asking, if taking in all the costs, is $475 still at break-even or are they actually making a profit?

We've had two routine service checks for our almost 2 yr. old Model S and they do really spend 6 hours going over the car. I've no request to pay for anything even things that really should be wear and tear on the car. They've been incredible to date.

Uh, there is a cost for labor time to inspect the car. If it takes 2 people 2 hours to do a full inspection @$100/hour, that's already $400. Plus overhead for rent, admin, utilities, etc. The cost isn't just a battery and wipers. Please.

Disagree. People who bring their cars in and do not pay for annual service still get a courtesy inspection. Furthermore, on my previous visit to the SvC the inspection was listed as goodwill under payment type. And I have the plan. So what gives?

Disagree. People who bring their cars in and do not pay for annual service still get a courtesy inspection. Furthermore, on my previous visit to the SvC the inspection was listed as goodwill under payment type. And I have the plan. So what gives?

People that pay for the annual service are subsidizing that cost, then. Like a traditional mechanic's 100 point inspection, it's free and the hope is that htey find something they can fix to cover the time/cost of the free inspection.

It's either that or Tesla stops doing goodwill inspections because they see that they are operating at a loss.

Annual Service - is the "hardware upgrade" dream finally dead?

Was it ever really alive?

I know Elon does some magical thinking, but I think we should be able to separate marketing talk from reality by now.