Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Open Letter about My Model X Body Repair Experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly two years ago, in December 2015, I was fortunate to place an order for a new Model X 90D.

The anticipation of owning and driving a brand new, and at that time, relatively rare electric SUV made by Tesla had me walking on air for the six months I waited for my Model X to be produced and delivered.

In June 2016, I finally did take delivery and I was absolutely THRILLED with the end result. I was and still am floored by the amazing piece of modern tech that the Model X is and represents. The wait was well worth it when I took my first test drive with my local Tesla rep.

Prior to ordering this fantastic vehicle, I had done my homework, and carefully considered the pros and cons of committing to what is essentially a start up company with a completely unproven new model of automobile.

I understood full well that by placing a firm order, I was signing up for all of the potential negatives that come with small companies, new cars and advanced technology.

I understood that at some level I would be committing myself to being a "guinea pig" of sorts and that my experience with the quality of the car, its construction, functionality, drivability and reliability would help inform Tesla about how to operate better, improve their manufacturing, improve their software, etc.

Hands down my 2016 Model X 90D performed incredibly well. Minor software glitches were cleared up instantly with an assist from the Model X User's Manual. Driving my sleek electric silver bullet was PURE JOY.

There were two or three minor cosmetic quibbles inside and outside of the vehicle, but they made me love my X even more. Where other owners would be in the Tesla Service Center seemingly every other week looking to tweak this minor bit or adjust that general area, I saw these minor cosmetic quirks as adding unique character to my X.

I had 10 months of primetime ownership, making multiple unnecessary trips out into nowhere or to the grocery store 40 miles away, just because I wanted to drive my X, and I was constantly selling my friends and family on the virtues of a smooth, clean and efficient Tesla electric drive.

Then suddenly in April of 2017, a black VW and a green Subaru threw all of that off track in what has become a nearly interminable 6.5 month wait for my X to be repaired and leave an independent body shop.

The right rear side of my X was hit flush (directly on the rear wheel) by the front end of the black VW, the force of the impact which caused my X to spin/slide sharply to the left where my driver's side door was crushed upon impacting the rear bumper of the green Subaru that was sitting stationary in line behind a few other cars at a stop light.

In the nearly seven months that my Model X has been in a local independent body shop, I have taken numerous calls and e-mails from the shop itself, plus several from the official Tesla Body Shop Consumer Advocate team, I have even received a much appreciated assist via this forum and Twitter from Tesla SVP Jon McNeill. I have also jumped through multiple hoops with my insurance company.

During this experience I have also received tremendous support and empathy from my local Tesla Service Center.

Unfortunately, beyond everyone's control is the seemingly complicated nature of the construction of the Model X itself and how, apparently, incredibly difficult it is to repair. Now mind you, this was not a fender bender. It was a serious accident that fortunately saw every person involved, and one tiny dog, walk away without injury.

At the outset of my X being loaded onto a flatbed and towed to the body shop, I clearly understood this was not going to be an easy or quick fix.

However, I could not have anticipated that more than half a year would pass and my Model X would STILL be in that shop.

I expected there would be delays in getting the necessary parts. I knew that the shop wouldn't have a full assessment of all the actual damage until the dash was pulled out and they had access to everything behind it, which of course there was, which of course required additional parts and time for them to be delivered.

However, what I did not anticipate or even understand at first, was a two month delay in just getting the proper jigs/bench fixtures made for Model X to attach my car to a work bench/lift so the shop could actually work on the car. This is where Jon McNeill and the Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocate team came in to facilitate and expedite the acquisition of these jigs for the body shop, which did happen and the shop got right to work, but that was nearly 5 months ago.

I am writing this as a means to encapsulate my experience for other Tesla owners and potential owners to understand the very complicated world of a small auto company and the unique logistical challenges an owner can face when confronted with an event like an accident with heavy damage that can't simply be buffed out or covered with a coat of paint.

The resulting strange limbo-type experience has seen me make loan payments for nearly seven months on a car that is not drivable. A car that is depreciating in value every single day sitting in the shop, but cannot be traded in toward the purchase of a new car, because it's still being repaired with no end in sight.

I am a Tesla owner with no Tesla. My car has been in the shop nearly as long as I had owned it prior to the accident.

To the great credit of my local Tesla Store & Service Center store manager Alex Liebl, he listened to my issues, empathized with my situation and made every effort to find a way I could transfer ownership of my wrecked Model X to Tesla and lock in its BB value so I could use that toward the purchase of a new Model X.

Unfortunately, my insurance company was NOT on board with that idea.

About a week ago the body shop informed me that my X is now half painted, requires the dash to be reconnected and reinstalled, a couple of seats need to be reinstalled, and multiple software updates need to take place.

Will this take a week? Two weeks? Another month? Who knows.

Regardless, I decided to order a brand new Model X 100D. I hope my repaired 90D will show up in time for me to do a trade-in when my 100D is delivered by Tesla, but given the $43,000 in damages + basically 7 months of depreciation sitting in the shop, I can't imagine the trade-in value of the 90D will be worth much, if anything at all.

And this is the kind of thing that was nearly impossible to anticipate two years ago when I was still debating the pros and cons about whether to commit to ordering a Tesla in the first place.

Going forward, as a Tesla owner and stockholder, I believe the pros still outweigh the cons.

Yet, Tesla has a hell of a lot of work to do on the practical side of ownership. With Model 3 and future vehicles in the pipeline, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Teslas will be on the road in the coming decade, and there will be a significant increase in accidents involving Tesla vehicles.

Getting those Teslas repaired properly and back on the road in a timely fashion is SUPER critical. Whether Tesla itself gets into the business of body repairs or they significantly up their oversight and partnerships with approved independent body shops, they will need to find a much better throughput that will make the accidents and repair experiences that inevitably happen in auto ownership far less onerous.

Is Tesla to blame for my wait? Is the independent body shop to blame? Is it the complex design and advanced nature of the Model X itself to blame? Is it just simply bad luck or bad timing? Is it all of the above, or a combination, or none at all?

I'm not smart enough to give an informed or educated answer those questions, as I have no idea how to build a car, repair a car, nor do I have insider access or control over the parts supply chain in a car manufacturer, nor do I have insider access or control over the prioritization of jobs in a body shop.

I am at the mercy of the system itself. And, taken with a grain of salt, accidents do happen. If this were a warranty issue for say the Model X's motors not working properly and it took Tesla seven months to rectify the issue, the nature of this letter would be far, far different.

As it is, it was an accident that put me in this position and that, I can most assuredly confirm, is not Tesla's fault.

I love this company and what it stands for and I love my Model X. After my first drive in a Tesla in June 2016, I swore that I would never buy a car from any other car company ever again. And I still stand by that today.

Thank you.
IMG_3215.jpg
IMG_3173.jpg
IMG_3194.jpg
IMG_3228.jpg

...To the great credit of my local Tesla Store & Service Center store manager Alex Liebl, he listened to my issues, empathized with my situation and made every effort to find a way I could transfer ownership of my wrecked Model X to Tesla and lock in its BB value so I could use that toward the purchase of a new Model X...

I agree with that arrangement but I don't why your insurance doesn't!

Hopefully, Tesla will do body shop as well in future.

I agree with that arrangement but I don't why your insurance doesn't!

Hopefully, Tesla will do body shop as well in future.

My insurance company would not agree to keep paying for repairs AFTER an ownership transfer to Tesla, because the car was still in the shop and there was no clear end date for completion of the repairs, AND I would no longer be owner of record and my insurance policy would no longer apply to that vehicle. This was about 2 months ago when this idea was floated by Alex at my local Tesla Store. Plus the insurance company was not amenable to totaling a $120,000 vehicle with damages totaling far less than 65% of the vehicle's value.

So I was stuck.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy and Tam
Plus the insurance company was not amenable to totaling a $120,000 vehicle with damages totaling far less than 65% of the vehicle's value.

That's before diminished value of the car. You should be made whole on the value of the trade in prior to the accident in addition to the cost of repairs. Likely they would have been smart to just total the car. Parts value on Tesla Model X parts is pretty high.

The flip side in all of this is that HOPEFULLY, the independent body shop has acquired a ton of experience in working on Model X and perhaps will be able to handle future X's with more firsthand knowledge and experience, making the work more efficient.

One can hope. ;)

That's before diminished value of the car. You should be made whole on the value of the trade in prior to the accident in addition to the cost of repairs.
It should be pointed out that a diminished-value claim is made by the owner of the damaged vehicle directly against the at-fault party (or their insurer). The insurance company of the party suffering the loss will not pay it (even though it will seek reimbursement for the repair from the at-fault party's insurer).

Because the diminished value claim would be paid out by a different company than her own insurer, it is not a consideration of her own insurance company. The only way for a diminished-value claim to affect whether a vehicle will be totaled would be for the entire claim to be made directly against the at-fault insurer (not one's own insurer).

Last edited:
The Eden Prairie Service Center only takes customer repairs to one shop in town, even though it is not the shop that was servicing Roadsters for years before even the Model S was around. I know the shop you are dealing with and that's a consistent experience: long, expensive, and the blame never rests anywhere, clearly.
Presently, Tesla is expanding their certification to other shops in town, which are already listed at the club page here. I do hope that should you chance to need services again, you will reconsider going with the recommended shop, or perhaps you will have official options. Your car could have been hand-built in all that time.

Reactions: dutch2187
my model S sit in bodyshop for over 2 month now. one thing I don't understand is that body shop keep claiming that this is a very complex car and even say fixing it is a puzzle to them. but when I bought it, the sales person keep saying how easy the maintainance of the car is due to the less parts than an ICE car.

my model S sit in bodyshop for over 2 month now. one thing I don't understand is that body shop keep claiming that this is a very complex car and even say fixing it is a puzzle to them. but when I bought it, the sales person keep saying how easy the maintainance of the car is due to the less parts than an ICE car.

Note that being simple to maintain does not mean easy to build or fix, quite the opposite, actually.

Note that being simple to maintain does not mean easy to build or fix, quite the opposite, actually.

I don't think I agree with this, can you elaborate what parts is more complex to build/fix? I definitely can see thing being done differently, but I don't think make it hard for bodyshop to fix, if yes, then it's a training problem.

There are more electric and computer parts then others cars, but I don't think this will make fix harder either, when there are problem on these components, mostly you just swap the computer boards.

maybe this due to people from different industry, as a software engineer, I see this is easier compare with the ICE cars which have more moving parts

While I can't claim to know the process, Tesla relies a lot on automation with special jigs. Trying to translate that to field work was probably not part of the original engineering. Add in the repair of twisted aluminum and assembling new part has to be a headache. I know repairs to A8's have are just as tedious. My 2016 F150 (aluminum body on high strength steel) was totaled at a value of 65k for something that looked like less damage. Diminished value can easily equal the repair cost if it effects areas that are part of the frame that is designed to crumple a certain way when involved in an accident. There are professionals that will appraise the after accident value since it has the accident associated with it on a carfax type report.

I would ask the insureds company if they are going to total it out after your deminished value claim. They may have no choice (legally) but to call it a total. Good luck! Hope you get a new vehicle soon.
20170907_012221.jpg
20170907_173314.jpg
20170907_015920.jpg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: brkaus and TaoJones
I don't understand why your insurance company is paying for the repair... It's this a US thing?

In the UK I'd just claim directly from the person who hit you's insurance. They would pay for the repair, rental car, any fuel costs, depreciation, any injuries etc.

Reactions: Bebop