Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Open Letter about My Model X Body Repair Experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Chubb insurance. When I totaled my S they had a $120k check to me in two weeks and a new car to me in four weeks. I think you need another insurance company that will fight the battle for you. Oh by the way. They also provided a new S for me to drive while they worked on getting me a new one. If I remember correctly I made only 2 phone calls during the entire process. Good luck

Reviving a dormant thread.

Last Saturday morning, my 87-year-old dad rammed my mum's X100D into a wall in the garage, causing part of the house to sustain considerable damage to one of its load bearing walls. It's hardly necessary to add that my mum's car was pretty severely damaged too. While pulling my mum's car into the garage, my dad had stepped on the accelerator by mistake, causing the car to lunge forward and crash into the house.

A superficial walkaround inspection by our USAA appraiser brought in an estimate of $19,000 in repair cost. However, the body shop asked for us to wait until they could get into the car to do an extensive teardown, before cutting them a cheque. The estimator at the Tesla-approved body shop figured that the repair costs would more likely be in the region of $75,000.

If my mum's car is written off, I fear that she will be left with no car, and I as the purchaser would be left with a $30,000 balance owed to US Bank, the auto loan company.

7VpT2NW8R86qWHkjLFHTiw.jpg
BhUiOivmT5KU0Tn49CqJ5Q.jpg
KwpFO+WZTDyCErEhGNtPAQ.jpg
YmpjrjsOR%yH48jxsghUZw.jpg
SqLdMAnMRWSyCM6TGUXj5Q.jpg
Ce3pOd1wSSWvXyMzc0ZGTQ.jpg

Reviving a dormant thread.

Last Saturday morning, my 87-year-old dad rammed my mum's X100D into a wall in the garage, causing part of the house to sustain considerable damage to one of its load bearing walls. It's hardly necessary to add that my mum's car was pretty severely damaged too. While pulling my mum's car into the garage, my dad had stepped on the accelerator by mistake, causing the car to lunge forward and crash into the house.

A superficial walkaround inspection by our USAA appraiser brought in an estimate of $19,000 in repair cost. However, the body shop asked for us to wait until they could get into the car to do an extensive teardown, before cutting them a cheque. The estimator at the Tesla-approved body shop figured that the repair costs would more likely be in the region of $75,000.

If my mum's car is written off, I fear that she will be left with no car, and I as the purchaser would be left with a $30,000 balance owed to US Bank, the auto loan company.

View attachment 293869 View attachment 293870 View attachment 293871 View attachment 293872 View attachment 293873 View attachment 293874

Oh Noooo...luckily nobody was hurt especially since you have a dryer on the other side...that might be connected to a gas line.

Can the car still drive? Is the suspension or chaise damaged?

Oh Noooo...luckily nobody was hurt especially since you have a dryer on the other side...that might be connected to a gas line.

Can the car still drive? Is the suspension or chaise damaged?

Thanks for inquiring. The wheels of bureaucracy at USAA do churn slowly, but things do happen in time. The gas line to the dryer was shut off before any inspector even came. The house still needs to be inspected by a structural engineer before any estimate can be completed and submitted by the contractor I've retained.

As of yesterday, the body shop couldn't get inside the car because the electric system won't wake up and let them in. Preliminary exterior inspections indicate that the frame might have been bent up more than I realised because both front doors pushed back into the falcon wing doors so as to bend them out of shape slightly.

I don't believe the car is drivable at this point, and I'm pretty sure an extensive tear down will reveal further damage to the chassis.

I've already been warned that we will be without the car for about six months, should they/we choose to repair it.