Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost abandoned my Model S for an ICE rental last night...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kinda seems like all you needed was a Supercharger. So, I assume we're talking a couple years as being the measure of a "long way away"...?

Let's be sure and check back with each other in 2025 to see how things have developed [emoji6]

500 Tesla Supercharger Installed

SC.JPG

sc1.JPG

Tesla-Supercharger-USA-2016-1024x585.png

The above demonstrates that in just a few years Tesla developed impressive SC network. Actions speak louder than words.

Drivers can expect the coverage to get better and better every day. By 2025, my expectation is that the coverage in US and Europe will be complete.

This was definitely the first time since I got the Model S where I actually felt that I should have an ICE secondary vehicle... and I'm considering it... maybe a cheap used Volt to tinker with.

Your resourceful, put your Tesla battery modules on a small trailer, have it attached to your model S, and build your own portable CHAdeMO charge station :)

- - - Updated - - -

If it's truly an emergency, could Uber be another option? ...
Uber or I just ask a friendly neighbor to exchange cars for a little bit I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

On the plus side, I'm hopeful you get the Volt, go to town on it, and keep us all updated here! I truly enjoy reading about your projects.

Yes, that Volt project sounds wicked awesome. Hope you do it. :D I'll be following along here and/or on the GM-Volt forum if you keep us posted.

And with a plan to head back to NC in 1-2 years (love the state), maybe I'll be able to see it in person. :D

(Do it!)

- - - Updated - - -

Uber or I just ask a friendly neighbor to exchange cars for a little bit I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Nobody sane should have any problem swapping their car for a P85D for a day or two. :D And note that, aside from a neighbor, we all probably have family or friends willing to do so in such an extreme case as this seems to have been. In less extreme cases, to beat a poor dead horse, there are car rental companies.... If you really compare the pros & cons (taking into account rental needs if you have them), I imagine going electric wins in the vast majority of cases. It simply requires a slight mental shift.

And then there's the Volt (or a PHEV) for those who drive ridiculous distances in the boonies on a regular basis, still allowing for primarily electric driving and a shift into the EV revolution.

Last edited:
To be honest, the charging station infrastructure in the USA looks rather poor in many areas.

Looking at superchargers, England and Central Europe have much better coverage than even in California.
And countries like e.g. Netherlands, Denmark or Japan have a much denser network of non-Tesla chargers.

Of course the US has large swathes of low populated ares that are difficult to cover with charging stations,
but that doesn't change the situation at hand.

germanywdso9.png

ncz6s77.png

(50 km circles)
nlysso9.png

(mostly L2 charging spots 11-45 kW)
chademo3zssu.png

(200 out of 5418 Chademo stations)

Last edited:
If anything, what this thread demonstrates is wk057's devotion to the technology--or at least his persistence.

There are obviously cases where an EV--even a Tesla, with its long range and network of fast chargers--won't get the job done. That's not really a secret; we all know that's the case.

How many of those circumstances one runs into is highly individual. For me personally, there's only been one trip that I couldn't take in the Tesla because I wasn't certain about charging, and there's now a supercharger that would make the trip easy.

But any one of us could have an emergency pop up like wk's. In that case, I'd take my ICE car, but if I didn't have an ICE car I'd rent one without shame or hesitation. Doesn't mean you're abandoning the tech; just that you are realistic about its limitations.

I'd like to see wk057 hack a Volt, too, and there's some peace of mind in having an ICE car rather than renting. But I don't think we should overblow the barriers to EV deployment. They're real but nowhere near as big as most people believe, and in most cases they can easily be overcome.

For the East Coast, I hope they prioritize and expedite I-81 coverage. As is, apart from I-95 there's really no other north-south route covered with Superchargers and I-81 is really essential. Hopefully one day they will link up I-81 with superchargers all the way to Asheville, NC.

Having said that the one good thing they have done along I-81 are the availability of Destination Chargers. Look up the Tesla Supercharger map and you will find a bunch of Destination Chargers. The folks who have them are quite nice. Though technical they are for overnight B&B guests, some serve lunch so you would then qualify as a "guest" if you have lunch and others allow you to pay a reasonable fee for a charge and some even let you charge for free.

Until we have Supercharger coverage the Destination Chargers along I-81 are not a bad option at 80Amps of charging.

If anything, what this thread demonstrates is wk057's devotion to the technology--or at least his persistence.

Agreed.

There are obviously cases where an EV--even a Tesla, with its long range and network of fast chargers--won't get the job done. That's not really a secret; we all know that's the case.

Except that even in the extreme emergency that wk057 found himself it DID actually work out fine; charging on a road trip doesn't always require Superchargers. Overall charging infrastructure, and especially Supercharging, is far from finished but it will be in a relatively short space of time. 4 years ago Model S didn't exist and neither did Superchargers, in a couple of years they will be ubiquitous. That's a heck of a paradigm shift in way less than a single generation.

(My personal 2c: the thread title is a bit "glass-half-full", but I understand the short term anxiety when the OP's mind was probably pre-occupied.)

While wk057's trip came out fine, I don't think a large % of the population is as smart or as resourceful as wk057.

I also find it silly to have an extra car around for such purpose.

What if Tesla were to partner with a rental car company? Rent Tesla cars to tesla owner travelers (and others) and nicely equipped ICE cars to Tesla owners at up to say 6 days a year at a discount.

They could even make a speciality S that could be rented for distance travel. More batteries, optimized design, etc.

I would suggest SilverCar rentals as a company to pair up with, but the recent paint color changes leave them out.

Yes, that was my point about wk057's persistence; here he managed to use the Tesla. But there are circumstances where you just can't.

I agree that those circumstances are rare and getting rarer. But the fact that they exist is nothing to be shocked or demoralized about.

Thanks all.

I suppose it was just a bit disappointing that outside of long distance travel via plane where I would expect to rent a car that I was in a position where renting a car was very close to being the only real option... at home.

Combine that with the fact that I haven't driven an ICE in about two years now within over 1000 miles of home. I've been making it work, and it's been pretty good. I make a lot of long trips (over 50,000 Model S miles driven/ridden in total so far between three cars). They're fun with the superchargers. I did make a trip down I-81 using the CHAdeMO adapter, but that was a little less relaxed than if there were superchargers. Only a few times have I deviated from the superchargers and relied on other means to get to where I needed to go.

My road trips were fine, but we're kidding ourselves a bit if we can expect the average person to add many hours to an already long drive. When I was younger we made the trip from NJ->FL about once a year, sometimes every other year (bunch of family there... plus theme parks!). About 2100 miles round trip, not counting driving around FL. It took about 16-17 hours each way and was done in one day usually with two drivers (leave early in the AM, ~7-ish, arrive at 11 or 12 at night). In the Model S the best I've been able to do is about 21 hours for the same trip, with three drivers. I could easily see it taking much longer for someone who doesn't know the car/charging as well and plans a bit more poorly. So while we used to do it in a day, get in, sleep, and be ready to go the next morning that's not really possible in the Model S since we generally arrive late in the AM the next day, which means that for at least one person there is going to need to be some sleeping in, potentially nixing the planning of activities for that day and effectively making the travel portion of the trip a day longer.

*shrugs*

I'm not going back to ICE, that's for sure, as long as there are fast chargers along most of my longer trip paths. I can handle the added time vs ICE, usually, and I'm willing to take it in exchange for being able to power my car from my self-produced renewable power source, but I can fully understand the reasoning behind people who will not.

As a final example, I have a friend in NJ who makes a drive from NJ to Texas often (probably twice a year). He averages 80+ MPH and makes excellent time usually. So, a few problems. First, there are some huge supercharger deserts on his route (I-81 and I-40 mainly). Completely impossible to do in a Model S using a sane route. Then, he pulls off the trip in about 22 hours with an average speed of around 80 MPH, including time spent refueling/bathroom breaks/etc. The best I've been able to do on a long trip in the Model S is the mid 50's MPH average including charging time... maybe close to 60 on one or two trips. That's almost 40% slower, and I was riding the bottom of the pack SoC to make charging faster, which adds a little range anxiety since I'm arriving at chargers with single digit percent-charge remaining. Even if I were able to maintain 80 MPH for the trip, the more frequent charge stops needed to maintain this speed would negate the benefits. So using a 55 MPH average (very good including charging for the Model S on a long trip) it would be 10 extra hours even if there were superchargers on the route. So a full day extra time round trip.

Suffice it to say, while I put forth my best efforts, I couldn't convince him to get a Model S. His arguments, unlike many of the EV-myth arguments, made perfect sense and there is basically no way he could switch to the Model S without making a lot of sacrifices... and people don't like sacrifices.

Yes, but there is a trade off for everything you do. If you look at the big picture sometimes it is worth doing if it is important enough to you. I do not want to get all tree hugger on you but just research info on big oil profits and how you are getting ripped off when you buy gas and power companies trying to put an extra tax on solar and so on and so on. I'm willing to work a little harder to do something that benefits everyone down the road.

...there is basically no way he could switch to the Model S without making a lot of sacrifices... and people don't like sacrifices.

True but if we all keep doing the same things we've always done we'll keep getting the same results, and the consequences are not easily reversed. My daughter just entered 6th grade, she's old enough to be asking smart questions about the state of the environment and what sort of world we'll leave her generation; I'll make any sacrifices I have to.

Every week that goes by that I don't have to stop at a gas station I add 10 minutes to a mental time savings account. The one or two times a year I'm inconvenienced with extra time due to not having an ICE, like this scenario, I debit the account.

After two and a half years I'm running a significant positive balance.

There are lots of people for whom pure EV driving doesn't make sense. People who take long trips, people who tow things, etc. Just this morning I talked to a guy who was single and lived in a condo; he told me he wanted a Model S but didn't need a car that big and had no easy place to charge it, so he bought a 911.

There's not much point in trying to persuade people like that to buy a Model S; it's totally rational not to.

But just because there are lots of people who can't afford a Model S, or can't make it fit into their lifestyle, doesn't mean we are a long way away from widespread EV adoption. I mean, I'd argue that in some sense we're already there. I get asked all the time about my car by people who aren't particularly environmentally aware or automotively enthusiast. Some of those people have bought one. Most of those people (like me) have driving patterns that not only aren't inconvenienced by the Model S; overall they are improved.

Tl; dr: Just because not everyone can buy one doesn't mean it's not mainstream.

Contrary to popular belief there is NO PERFECT vehicle. They all have trade offs. This is especially true with the emerging electric vehicle market. It's not a crime to admit that and use the right "tool for the job". Try to get to Nashville from St Louis w/o jumping through hoops.

My my planned future garage will consist of our paid off 2013 Volt and a CPO S85.