Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment caused tire failure in less than 12,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jomas_NEmyp

I took delivery a year ago, and immediately noticed alignment wasn’t quite right. Had it taken care of (or so I thought) at nearest service center within 6 weeks of delivery. Today my car failed inspection. One of my front wheels was adjusted so poorly (camber) that the sidewall on the inside of the tire wore through to the metal belt. Tried to get help from Tesla, both the service center that did the alignment and from Devon where I took delivery. Was told that it was my problem and they would only offer another goodwill alignment. Not even try to apply for warranty coverage through Michelin for me. I never thought I’d be one in this forum to add to the “I had a horrible service experience” drama, because until now I thought I had been treated really well. But this truly put a bad taste in my mouth for ever buying another. And the wife was just about to replace our GMC with another model y. Guess we’ll wait for another EV that has the NACS port. Really excited that Tesla will be forced to up their customer service experience now that so many others will take advantage of the supercharger network.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyerDude
I guess if you don’t have any experience with better service it might sound alright. My local family car shop is our Buick dealer who we’ve purchased cars from for years. They let me know about the tire and seemed extremely disappointed that Tesla didn’t offer a replacement. Service manager has been doing his job for decades and said without a doubt this was caused by one of the worst alignments he’s ever seen. I fully recognize anything can happen, but my uberturbines are pristine and I take the long way to work on major well paved roadways specifically to keep them as such.

Camber doesn’t cause shoulder or sidewall wear like that unless it’s extreme. It’s very rare to wear down or damage the sidewall unless it’s been driven flat or hit potholes. Or it’s rubbing on a suspension component.

Clearly you haven’t rotated the tires as recommended or you would have noticed abnormal wear well before 12k miles.

Michelin doesn’t give two squirts and absolutely is not going to warrant a tire worn like that under any circumstances. Thinking the service center should try and file a claim for something like that is absurd.

Tires are wear items, alignments can and do change over time due to impacts, etc. This is why rotations are recommended at ~half the 12k mile interval where it seems you never bothered to look at your tires at all.

This is at least half on you, probably more.

I guess if you don’t have any experience with better service it might sound alright. My local family car shop is our Buick dealer who we’ve purchased cars from for years. They let me know about the tire and seemed extremely disappointed that Tesla didn’t offer a replacement. Service manager has been doing his job for decades and said without a doubt this was caused by one of the worst alignments he’s ever seen. I fully recognize anything can happen, but my uberturbines are pristine and I take the long way to work on major well paved roadways specifically to keep them as such.
Honestly, it feels like you are implying (in this instance), that service is only great if Tesla agrees to replace your worn parts after a year. Alignment can fall out of right after you take ownership with one bad pot hole. Implying your car could never have hit anything in a year to do that is not realistic.
And of COURSE your service centre will say they would have taken care of it, if it were them. All dealers and shops play that game.
Tires are a wear and tear item, as is the alignment. If Tesla agreed to replace everyones worn tires, and fix everyone’s bad alignments, no one would take care of their tires or alignments any longer.
They would lose millions.
But I guess they would then be allowed to say they provide great service. …