Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, the release notes are almost certainly a rich text file of some sort (HTML?) with associated graphics files, not strings buried on line 5319 of an include file somewhere. Not that that'd be difficult either--tedious, yes, but not hard.

Certainly true, but to make a change in a document takes weeks of lawyer perusal. So, yes, it's easy to type in the words. It's quite a bit harder to get them approved and published.

They also downgraded the plus handling that I paid extra to improve the handling. The center of gravity will be higher at the standard setting, which will degrade the handling. Fortunately I still have 5.6 and will not ask for a refund unless firmware is forced upon my P85+ that will prevent the low setting.

I would like to go back to 5.0. Likely that is not possible.

I'm on 5.6 and got the request to update to 5.8 this morning. I'm going to wait with the upgrade to see how this plays out. We don't have debris on our highways anyway; not seen anything made of metal in half a million kilometers of driving.

I think Tesla just wanted to push a fast upgrade and will re-introduce the low setting in a few weeks or months time, although I doubt it will go back to automatic lowering. If they don't re-introduce the low setting they will have to deal with too many requests for refunds (and sell less cars with air suspension, which means a lower profit margin).

I see this as a violation of trust.

We have always been able trust Tesla updates as being an improvement, not a downgrade. We have been able to trust Tesla as a company.

Now that we have been violated, it will be very very hard to win back that trust.

I would like to go back to 5.0. Likely that is not possible.

I was thinking about this last night.
When you do a firmware/ OS update, the existing version always stays intact, until the system can confirm the new version was downloaded and verified whole/operational check.

What happens then to the previous version? The code, in theory, is still there, but now ignored with the area reallocated as open space. I could be wrong on this tho.

Could we get our last version back, with some kind of hack?

I wouldn't actually go so far as to do this (unless it were super easy), as I have faith Tesla will make clear what's going on this next week, and provide options in the near future. I won't be putting words into their mouth until then.

I see this as a violation of trust...

I see it as a validation of trust.
Tesla knows more about the accidents than I, and I would guess you, know.
If they feel that temporarily not letting the car settle to the low setting on the highway may help prevent an additional accident, I trust their engineers who have access to details of the accidents and logs that I don't.

In case this thread is being monitored, I vote for the following:

- bring back the Low suspension setting...
- ...even if it's a manual operation, though I'd prefer 'opt out' to 'opt in'.
- make it possible to drive with High or Very High suspension settings at speeds higher than currently allowed.
- the car should _never_ lower itself, when in Park, from a user-selected High or Very High suspension setting. That includes normal parking events as well as software upgrades.

That is all.

Ironically, I was interested in the air suspension not so much because of the low setting, which I do think is good and cool, but because it will go up. I have a high driveway and there are gravel roads and low water crossings that I frequent. Since I don't have my car yet, I won't have a choice anyway. I was concerned about it because it's a potential failure point. Never occurred to me the failure could be intentional.

The worst thing here is the lack of communication which breeds a reduction in trust.

If they feel that temporarily not letting the car settle to the low setting on the highway may help prevent an additional accident, I trust their engineers who have access to details of the accidents and logs that I don't.

I take your point but believe that you're basing the validation on too little information, as I am. My too little information leads me to believe this is a preemptive negotiation tactic to buy time with safety organizations and give Tesla a chance evaluate the situation further. As stated by others, this doesn't prevent road debris incursions, simply changes the size of debris that would make the incursion. There's no evidence that the extra 3/4" or so will reduce the likelihood of an incursion.

Exactly, Zythryn.

Seriously, I think we all need to take a huge step back and realize what Tesla just did: they just performed a revolutionary overturn of the safety recall, at zero cost. Think about what this means to the industry. They have many options on where to take this from here, let's all take a breath and see where Elon goes with it.

Honestly, if I had to complain about anything in 5.8, it would be the intermittent wiper settings, which worked so well in 4.5 that I thought they might have telepathic powers. But I know they will fix this in a future release, also.

Geez the venom in this thread blows my mind! Every time we've had a controversial software feature or apparent feature regression (sleep mode, map orientation, and many more), Tesla has, in a relatively short period (for complex mission critical software development, anyway) addressed in updates that offer choices for everyone. The lack of communication is annoying, but you don't need to be a mind reader to see that quick rollout of a temporary removal of "low" setting is a decisive reaction to the press over-reaction to highway-speed, road hazard-induced damage to two cars. And I can just guess that the lack of communications is lawyer induced… Elon is not normally adept at limiting his quips.

For those of you who are all freaked out about this, I've got a proposition. I'll bet you my P85 straight up for yours that the low setting will be restored by next summer (probably sooner). When it is, you owe me your car. If it isn't… that ain't going to happen.