Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems reasonable for this to only be applied for cars that have tank-mode pieces installed, if that's the case.

Well, except that the all cars going forward have it installed, and likely a goodly percentage of existing cars will get the retrofit... so anything without them will be an increasingly small percentage of "non standard" configurations.

And it might be arguable that the cars WITHOUT tank pieces would be the most susceptible if at the previously-calibrated low...

Funny you should bump this right after I told the OTA & deflector shield story a few times to people at NDEW events this past weekend who wondered about safety. So this is good to know. Does anybody have the exact before and after height of low? (and actually, I'd be interested in knowing the highest number too)

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the "old" and "new" low let alone when it wasn't lowering at all. I guess I'm just not that type of driver. I also could see no change in my Wh/mi numbers, which I do tend to get a bit obsessive about.

I doubt that at any legal speed in North America you would see a difference. You might notice a handling difference as the CG lowers.

To respond to your questions.
Although my 2012 Tesla was in for service for other upgrades and software failure, the suspension upgrade was obviously not installed.
Tesla Motors issued a bulletin to each service center to install the upgrade whenever a customer brought their auto in for service.
Whether the customer wanted it or not. ( I found this by surfing Tesla upgrades etc). If it was drivers issue then why did it occur after 10,000 miles.
In checking manufacturers of car stops specs, they vary 6" to 8" in height. Upon researching parking lot issues with car stops I found that many
box store parking lots no longer install car stops. (check for yourself)
As for your 'no care in reversing" comment), I have been licensed to drive since 1950 and have yet to receive a citation for any infraction of the law.
You are correct that Tesla has already via email offered a free bumper. Upon researching repairs on Tesla autos you will be amazed how high they are in
relation to metal and steel autos. Painting on plastic is a specialized process done only by certified body shops and just to paint a Tesla door can be $500.
As far as installation of the bumper and painting check other owners comments by surfing Tesla auto customer complaints and the numbers will astound you.
When I attempted to negotiate the cost of installation and painting costs, Tesla service cut off all communications with me and will not respond to my emails
or telephone calls. I attempted to compromise by offering to pay a portion of those costs but have not received a response from Tesla service agents. As I
have previously stated I love my Tesla, but love my life more. At this point I am sure Elon Musk knows nothing about how Tesla service is alienating customers.
Keep in mind that a Tesla auto is nothing more than a hi-tech computer mounted in an aluminum and plastic body. Subject to glitches just like a PC.
If you want to walk in my shoes, please surf the customer complaints and Tesla chat rooms. Perhaps you can verify my responses and contact Tesla service
centers to resolve this situation. Vico