Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Air Suspension - Neighborhood Speed Humps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had one of the earliest 2018 Model 3 Performance cars, and I got rid of it as I felt the interior quality was lackluster and the ride wasn't very refined. I ended up with a Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered Extended Range PHEV which has worked well, the suspension is glorious, however, it's super stiff, and regrettably, my neighborhood just installed 9 speed humps which I have to go over each time I leave or come into my neighborhood. Drop the kid off at school, 18 bumps round trip. Same for grocery store or gym, it's incredibly annoying.

Our BMW X7 with its width and air-suspension allows me to drive over the speed humps at the speed limit without much discomfort. The width allows me to get both wheels on the tapered part of the hump. The combination of the wider track and floatier air suspension makes it a non-issue to drive over it. The Volvo with the Ohlins dampers and it's narrower width makes it so I hit more of the bump (less tapered) and the stiff suspension makes it punishing and I have to slow down significantly below the speed limit to navigate them. Ironically, the city told us these speed humps are designed for most people to take them at or 5 mph below the speed limit. That's true for the BMW but not the Volvo.

With the new pricing of the Model X, I'm considering a Plaid with 20s, and I'm wondering if anyone else has these speed humps and how the X does compared to other vehicles.

The speed humps look like this, where they're tapered a bit on the sides, and they run four across like this allowing you to hit them on the tapers. They're designed so larger emergency vehicles (fire trucks) are wide enough to travel through them unimpeded.

toolkit_speed-cushion.jpg

I had one of the earliest 2018 Model 3 Performance cars, and I got rid of it as I felt the interior quality was lackluster and the ride wasn't very refined. I ended up with a Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered Extended Range PHEV which has worked well, the suspension is glorious, however, it's super stiff, and regrettably, my neighborhood just installed 9 speed humps which I have to go over each time I leave or come into my neighborhood. Drop the kid off at school, 18 bumps round trip. Same for grocery store or gym, it's incredibly annoying.

Our BMW X7 with its width and air-suspension allows me to drive over the speed humps at the speed limit without much discomfort. The width allows me to get both wheels on the tapered part of the hump. The combination of the wider track and floatier air suspension makes it a non-issue to drive over it. The Volvo with the Ohlins dampers and it's narrower width makes it so I hit more of the bump (less tapered) and the stiff suspension makes it punishing and I have to slow down significantly below the speed limit to navigate them. Ironically, the city told us these speed humps are designed for most people to take them at or 5 mph below the speed limit. That's true for the BMW but not the Volvo.

With the new pricing of the Model X, I'm considering a Plaid with 20s, and I'm wondering if anyone else has these speed humps and how the X does compared to other vehicles.

The speed humps look like this, where they're tapered a bit on the sides, and they run four across like this allowing you to hit them on the tapers. They're designed so larger emergency vehicles (fire trucks) are wide enough to travel through them unimpeded.

View attachment 970570
What’s the speed limit? We have several. 25mph. Our 2016 P100 Handles them fine. Lift off the gas and the regen slows you down to 18-20. Now the issue is when you go back to an ice you won’t have the the regen and forget to brake. Then the get a bit harsh.

Before I purchased our 2018 P100D, I had the Tesla salesperson take me on the roughest side roads she could dream up. I had owned multiple SUVs and decided I would never own another due to the harsh ride over crummy roads.

It was an eye opening test drive and I was sold on the air suspension. After 5 years, I am still very happy with the ride of the X. I would slow down over those bumps in any car, but I would rather be in my X over anything else I have driven. Very subjective though. I always scratch my head when folks complain about the X ride. And as already said, the Regen makes it way easy to slow down. I have no complaints after 5 years.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
What’s the speed limit? We have several. 25mph. Our 2016 P100 Handles them fine. Lift off the gas and the regen slows you down to 18-20. Now the issue is when you go back to an ice you won’t have the the regen and forget to brake. Then the get a bit harsh.
Speed limit is 30mph. I can do 30 in the BMW no problem. I’ve never sped on this road before the bumps but I did test the BMW and at 34 mph it still sails over them. The Volvo, I need to get down to 15-20. I know it sounds like not a lot, but doing that 18 times and dealing with the jolting is. It’s especially uncomfortable for passengers who aren't as prepared for the sudden jolt.

Speed limit is 30mph. I can do 30 in the BMW no problem. I’ve never sped on this road before the bumps but I did test the BMW and at 34 mph it still sails over them. The Volvo, I need to get down to 15-20. I know it sounds like not a lot, but doing that 18 times and dealing with the jolting is. It’s especially uncomfortable for passengers who aren't as prepared for the sudden jolt.
Maybe they should have done this? ;)

Maybe they should have done this? ;)
I could see ours' being removed. While not the same, they spaced the bumps so close on the inside that people are going basically into the middle of the road to hit the bump ideally. Issue is, if oncoming traffic is there, they're doing the same and someone has to give the position otherwise it's a head-on collision.

Reactions: EbS-P