Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Afraid to trust navigation system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a pic of nav when I was exiting Country Club Hills supercharger to go southbound on I 57. This is just one example of the MANY times Tesla nav has presented very convoluted directions. I think Tesla should just implement Waze and quit burning valuable time trying to reinvent navigation.
e95dc3ce5790b00c50d8961e7c533c11.jpg

The Nav system always seems to take freeways and toll roads whenever possible--even if it's out of the way. I guess those roads have a weighting of ten and all others have a rating of one.

Steve
I was coming home to the Bay Area last night from Pismo and the Nav routed me this way to avoid a lot of traffic. Incredible scenery! Would not have been fun in the dark however.

i did encounter a concerning glitch in the Nav on the way to Pismo. I left the Gilroy SC to get to Pismo with a stop to top off in Atascadero which is about 136 miles, Pismo is 166 miles. I left Gilroy with 200 miles. About halfway the system kept telling me to u turn and go back to Gilroy as it determined I didn't have enough range even tho I had plenty. I called Tesla thinking Atascadero might be down but nope it's a bug in the Nav where it over buffers your range then freaks out as it thinks you don't have enough. The other weird thing it did was show 139 miles to Atascadero and 139 miles to Pismo as it was freaked out over the buffer. If I didn't know better I could have looked at the Nav and just thought I had 139 miles to Pismo-I would have been stranded and pissed.
They need to fix it or do something else, too many complaints.

Last edited:
It is buggy to say the least. Unfortunately, since Google took over Waze (and Google hates Windows Phone) they stopped the WP support so no Waze for me anymore.
I have seen some strange behavior every now and then in the nav but I've learned to live with it.