Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making my model Y safer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to share 2 things I added to the car that are working very well for me to make things a bit safer.

1. A rearview mirror fed by a camera over the license plate. This was actually a built in feature of the Venza I sold to get this car. Tesla's mirror was a huge disappointment. Fair warning: It's made for people towing trailers or large vehicles. I had a great collision shop with Tesla experience install it, and they had to drill a hole to get the wire through to mount the camera above the license plate. Now I can SEE behind me WAY better than before.

1702073879632.png
    1702073778826.png

2. A mini screen with information I need to have right in front of my eyes. I was finding looking at the main screen distracting and this solved the problem. Once again, Toyota had Tesla beat on this too, with a heads-up display right on the windshield. This item was also installed by my buddies at Brighton Collision in Rochester, NY. A really great place.

1702074274744.png
BIG improvements. Highly recommended.

I’m not a huge fan of aftermarket modifications. They always seem like an afterthought. If you like it, enjoy it. That’s the beauty of it, isn’t it.

However, I don’t think these additions make the car “safer.” I also prefer the single screen of the model Y as opposed to my model X, especially that the center stack cannot be customized. Maybe I’m still getting used to it. The rear view mirror camera is something that’s very popular in China. I see it all the time. Does yours display navigation data when in Drive?

I just wanted to share 2 things I added to the car that are working very well for me to make things a bit safer.

1. A rearview mirror fed by a camera over the license plate. This was actually a built in feature of the Venza I sold to get this car. Tesla's mirror was a huge disappointment. Fair warning: It's made for people towing trailers or large vehicles. I had a great collision shop with Tesla experience install it, and they had to drill a hole to get the wire through to mount the camera above the license plate. Now I can SEE behind me WAY better than before.

View attachment 997719 View attachment 997718

2. A mini screen with information I need to have right in front of my eyes. I was finding looking at the main screen distracting and this solved the problem. Once again, Toyota had Tesla beat on this too, with a heads-up display right on the windshield. This item was also installed by my buddies at Brighton Collision in Rochester, NY. A really great place.

View attachment 997724
BIG improvements. Highly recommended.
Like the mirror. How does it do at night? Where is the recording stored?

How come the mirror is showing the back of a car, not the front?

1702082592531.png

With all due respect to y'all. The stock rear view mirror SUCKED. It was tiny and dark and barely useful.

Having to distract my eyes from the road to get speed, time, etc., also sucked.

It's one thing to be a Tesla purist, I prefer to make things better. That's just how I roll.

I say this with all due respect to everyone who has helped me so much on the forum. I really appreciate and value this community, but in this case, I will have to agree to disagree.

Like the mirror. How does it do at night? Where is the recording stored?

How come the mirror is showing the back of a car, not the front?

View attachment 997758
  • It's great at night.
  • It has a switch to change the display from rear to front or to a split view of both, side by side.
  • The angle of view (higher or lower) can be adjusted by swiping in the screen.
  • It has a micro card to record the forward view I think,, but I've not really looked at that.

I’m not a huge fan of aftermarket modifications. They always seem like an afterthought. If you like it, enjoy it. That’s the beauty of it, isn’t it.

However, I don’t think these additions make the car “safer.” I also prefer the single screen of the model Y as opposed to my model X, especially that the center stack cannot be customized. Maybe I’m still getting used to it. The rear view mirror camera is something that’s very popular in China. I see it all the time. Does yours display navigation data when in Drive?
These additions DO in fact make the care safer. I can tell you that from using them. Stop by and take it for a spin, you'll see ;) !

The mirror displays no navigation data other than the direction you're driving in. I use the main screen for all navigation as Tesla intended.

I have a general dislike for rearview mirrors. For whatever reason (tall guy/long torso) the mirror really hampers my forward view to the right. I am constantly ducking around the mirror to see in that direction (especially at narrow 4-way stops).

My perfect solution would be a rear-mount camera displayed on the main screen, and complete removal of physical mirror (-> cyber truck). I am still debating taking mine off to try it.

Glad the add on works for the OP but it looks even larger than stock.

Reactions: Skavatar
The stock mirror is very small on my model 3 almost like I cannot see out the back.

I have a 2022 toyota with the camera rear view mirror and unfortunately I have been very underwhelmed with it. I thought it would be the best thing since sliced bread, but at night although it can see better than I can with ambient lighting it also has a tendency to cause huge glare such that I cannot see much other than headlights. I've also found that the issue of readjusting focus to look at it is extremely bothersome. I'm focused on infinite distance while driving, but now I have to readjust focus to something 18" away. It's only an issue caused by camera rear view mirrors; normal ones allow you to keep your distance focus because everything behind is very far away.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I guess I'm a bit confused why the rear view camera is necessary when the car already has a camera app that displays the rear view when you want it. Is it just that the "mirror" displays the camera feed all the time and is separate from the navigation? Was the normal mirror not large enough for you, or could you just not see enough given the smaller window?

I guess I'm a bit confused why the rear view camera is necessary when the car already has a camera app that displays the rear view when you want it. Is it just that the "mirror" displays the camera feed all the time and is separate from the navigation? Was the normal mirror not large enough for you, or could you just not see enough given the smaller window?
To use the Tesla rear camera, the view replaces the entire screen, making navigation unusable as well as everything else that is otherwise available.

The stock mirror is DARK (because of the tinted rear window glass) and tiny. The car I sold to buy this, a 21 Venza, had this rear-camera-to-rearview-mirror feature built in and it is superb. I'm not about to tolerate a downgrade in visibility AND safety having experienced this before.

This mirror shows what's behind me with a much wider angle of view, totally separate from navigation, and throws in time, direction, and you can split the view to front/rear or just front (neither of which make any sense to me) and also records to its own SIM card.

The result is something far, far better than what Tesla provided. And I feel much safer with it.

The stock mirror is very small on my model 3 almost like I cannot see out the back.

I have a 2022 toyota with the camera rear view mirror and unfortunately I have been very underwhelmed with it. I thought it would be the best thing since sliced bread, but at night although it can see better than I can with ambient lighting it also has a tendency to cause huge glare such that I cannot see much other than headlights. I've also found that the issue of readjusting focus to look at it is extremely bothersome. I'm focused on infinite distance while driving, but now I have to readjust focus to something 18" away. It's only an issue caused by camera rear view mirrors; normal ones allow you to keep your distance focus because everything behind is very far away.
My eyes adjusted very quickly to the focus shift using these mirrors in both the Venza and this Wolf device. It quickly becomes a non-issue.

Neither my Venza nor this device cause glare. It was/is very well controlled. Not sure why yours does.

Reactions: Skavatar