Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor My journey to making a custom sunglass holder for my M3P and Model Y!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I'm Doug, a long-time Tesla enthusiast and mechanical engineer who enjoys creating things. Throughout my adult life, I've designed engines and even electric skateboards. Also, I am a new vendor on TMC as of today (but I guess my vendor tag is not live yet?)

I like to challenge myself and make something new to customize my Model 3. I sought a bit of extra storage and a dedicated space for my sunglasses to prevent scratches. While there are similar solutions available, I found them either too bulky, diverging from Tesla's design language, or poorly crafted.

Moreover, I wanted to engage with the Tesla community, gather feedback, and provide a behind-the-scenes look at the process of creating a product from scratch, including insights into mass production.

In the first photo, you can see it both open and closed. I did not want to take away from the minimalist approach of the interior.

IMG_9266.jpg

In the 2nd, this is my first prototype but it had a lot of parts (ball detect to open and close the lid, a soft close hinge, and a bar to latch the sunglass holder to the screen). But this was too complicated so I went back to the drawing board.

IMG_8211.jpg

In the 3rd, I created a whole lot of prototypes that I used to get the fitment just right and without any rattle, but also reduce part count, simplified manufacturing, and a better open and closing experience. This took me about 6 months and the hardest part was getting the fitment perfect. My 3D scanner is really bad and it’s so hard to get a scanner behind the screen.

IMG_8209 (1).jpg

In the 4th and 5th, I said screw it and got a shop to make a mold so I could mold the part. This was not cheap but I really wanted to get the part strength and fitment just perfect. Even SLS or SLA was not strong enough and felt flimsy.

0f7e3d5a81dd8133cb7d08fd79b51e64 (1).jpg

67322105207d34bbe36759d5a6a54fd7 (1).jpg

In the video, you can see I got the fitment just right. I am so excited about it.

I will be sharing more progress on the sunglass holder and some other behind the scenes things!

Update 3/8/24:

Doug

Last edited:
Just received my Sunglasses holder. Great quality and fit; looks OEM! Available now on Amazon too.
Thank you so so much! If you really loved it, I would be so grateful for a review on Amazon!
I have the American entrepreneur-made swivel mount, known as the Atlas. If you're not familiar with it, check out Tech Forum on YouTube.

I would be happy to try out your holder, the price and shipping cost are not the most important thing to me, if you think it would work with the Atlas swivel mount.

Any update on using this with a swivel mount screen?
@JHCCAZ @dcantato
Would anyone kindly start another thread (TMC only allows me 2 threads open, which I am maxed out). So then I can really assess how much demand there is for a swivel mount?

I am still in debt from the tooling and I cannot afford to pay for more tooling. Moreover, it will take me a lot of time to design, iterate, and repeat till the adapter is good. There could also be many variations of the swivel mount and so there are different geometries. This is not an easy or quick project and probably will take me $3-5,000 man hours coupled with another $5,000 in mold costs to get this complete. Not including all the man hours to manage the suppliers, materials for R&D, or the production materials.

So if anyone really wants a swivel mount secret sunglass holder, I am down to do it but I need the help from the community to show me there is enough demand - 50-100 people at least. I doubt I will turn a profit, but I need to at least break even.
Will it work with model s/x swivel screens ?
Can you post a picture of what you have?

Thank you all!

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Nice job! Added to my “save for later” on Amazon and considering a purchase.

This product kind of exemplifies one of the downsides of the minimalist approach for Tesla. Sure, you could say it’s a modular approach that allows for uniqueness and customization for the customer by enabling purchases of independent enthusiast products such as this. But it’s also like… why doesn’t Tesla have more storage for the basics? The M3 Highland has even less glovebox storage. But I digress.

Thank you for sharing your journey and links on how to buy your product.

Nice job! Added to my “save for later” on Amazon and considering a purchase.

This product kind of exemplifies one of the downsides of the minimalist approach for Tesla. Sure, you could say it’s a modular approach that allows for uniqueness and customization for the customer by enabling purchases of independent enthusiast products such as this. But it’s also like… why doesn’t Tesla have more storage for the basics? The M3 Highland has even less glovebox storage. But I digress.

Thank you for sharing your journey and links on how to buy your product.
Thank you so much!

Having used the holder for a few days, I have a suggestion, it would be nice if it opened just a little bit wider.
Hi @Kimmi Thank you so much for your feedback. I have noted it and when I make the next batch, I may make it open a little bit more. It depends on the cost of the mold change, but it is an easy change. This won't be made for probably anohter year or so. I really appreciate your order and please let me know if I can do anything for you. All the profits goes directly back into development of my flagship product (for Tesla) to provide people in apartments, stuck on level 1, a way to fast charge their car and not into my pocket. Thank you so much

Last edited:
Thank you so so much! If you really loved it, I would be so grateful for a review on Amazon!

@JHCCAZ @dcantato
Would anyone kindly start another thread (TMC only allows me 2 threads open, which I am maxed out). So then I can really assess how much demand there is for a swivel mount?

I am still in debt from the tooling and I cannot afford to pay for more tooling. Moreover, it will take me a lot of time to design, iterate, and repeat till the adapter is good. There could also be many variations of the swivel mount and so there are different geometries. This is not an easy or quick project and probably will take me $3-5,000 man hours coupled with another $5,000 in mold costs to get this complete. Not including all the man hours to manage the suppliers, materials for R&D, or the production materials.

So if anyone really wants a swivel mount secret sunglass holder, I am down to do it but I need the help from the community to show me there is enough demand - 50-100 people at least. I doubt I will turn a profit, but I need to at least break even.

Can you post a picture of what you have?

Thank you all!
Let me know if you want to see more angles

IMG_5329.jpeg
IMG_5327.jpeg
IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5328.jpeg

Hello everyone, I'm Doug, a long-time Tesla enthusiast and mechanical engineer who enjoys creating things. Throughout my adult life, I've designed engines and even electric skateboards. Also, I am a new vendor on TMC as of today (but I guess my vendor tag is not live yet?)

I like to challenge myself and make something new to customize my Model 3. I sought a bit of extra storage and a dedicated space for my sunglasses to prevent scratches. While there are similar solutions available, I found them either too bulky, diverging from Tesla's design language, or poorly crafted.

Moreover, I wanted to engage with the Tesla community, gather feedback, and provide a behind-the-scenes look at the process of creating a product from scratch, including insights into mass production.

In the first photo, you can see it both open and closed. I did not want to take away from the minimalist approach of the interior.

View attachment 1020344

In the 2nd, this is my first prototype but it had a lot of parts (ball detect to open and close the lid, a soft close hinge, and a bar to latch the sunglass holder to the screen). But this was too complicated so I went back to the drawing board.

View attachment 1020345

In the 3rd, I created a whole lot of prototypes that I used to get the fitment just right and without any rattle, but also reduce part count, simplified manufacturing, and a better open and closing experience. This took me about 6 months and the hardest part was getting the fitment perfect. My 3D scanner is really bad and it’s so hard to get a scanner behind the screen.

View attachment 1020346

In the 4th and 5th, I said screw it and got a shop to make a mold so I could mold the part. This was not cheap but I really wanted to get the part strength and fitment just perfect. Even SLS or SLA was not strong enough and felt flimsy.

View attachment 1020347

View attachment 1020348

In the video, you can see I got the fitment just right. I am so excited about it.

I will be sharing more progress on the sunglass holder and some other behind the scenes things!

Update 3/8/24:

Doug
Discount code doesn't seem to be working. I get an "Enter a Valid Discount Code" error after I copied and pasted the "TeslaMotors" code in the Checkout page of your website.

Doesn’t it block the temperature sensor affecting the climate control?
Hi @Jamesmy , great question.

No, it doesn't block it. There is a big opening and the compartment isn't sealed. I have tested extensively for 8 months with tens of people and sold hundreds of the sunglass holder and no complaints and no effect on temperature in any way. If you're not satisfied with it, you can return it - no questions asked!

Here is a photo!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 164739.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 164739.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 11
Looking at the design I'm assuming this doesn't work with the 2020 and earlier center console design? I imagine it would get in the way of the phone charger door swinging up into the same space this holder occupies, but hopefully someone here knows 🤞

Discount code doesn't seem to be working. I get an "Enter a Valid Discount Code" error after I copied and pasted the "TeslaMotors" code in the Checkout page of your website.
Oh, I fixed it!

Looking at the design I'm assuming this doesn't work with the 2020 and earlier center console design? I imagine it would get in the way of the phone charger door swinging up into the same space this holder occupies, but hopefully someone here knows 🤞
It does work but the door will basically stop at the screen.

Here are some pictures: Sunglass Holder on a 2018 Model 3

Last edited: