Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control (experience post FW v6.1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used TACC for about 45 miles up 280/380/101 from Palo Alto to San Francisco. Works just as advertised and my drive felt more relaxing. I feel less tired from driving compared to how I would usually. I also averaged 290kw in my P85D compared to a normal of around 340.

Did you see my post upthread, where I pose the question about possible improved efficiency? Your improvement clearly isn't due to the ACC. Do you think Tesla may have given us Torque Sleep without giving us a new driving mode, and without documenting it? We really need some more P85D owners to weigh in on this. I just had a sense of improvement, but no real numbers. You seem to have pretty good numbers, (though not "wk057-good" numbers.) We need more data, to support or refute this.

Got to play with the 6.1 features on my P85D today. ACC works great. I did have a feature happen I did not know it had. A car pulled in front of me across lanes while I was going around 50mph and my instrument display flashed a (red star I think) crash symbol and braked hard. Could be collision mitigation.

This is the crash indicator warning. It can be set to Off/Early/Medium/Late warning in Settings. I think default is "Medium" but I set mine to "Early". I saw the same notification in the same scenario that you described when a car merged in front of me. My car decelerated on its own to avoid the collision.

Did you see my post upthread, where I pose the question about possible improved efficiency? Your improvement clearly isn't due to the ACC. Do you think Tesla may have given us Torque Sleep without giving us a new driving mode, and without documenting it? We really need some more P85D owners to weigh in on this. I just had a sense of improvement, but no real numbers. You seem to have pretty good numbers, (though not "wk057-good" numbers.) We need more data, to support or refute this.

It's too early for me to tell. I normally drive very spirited so the cruise control could indeed substantially drop my energy consumption. I wouldn't rely on me as a good data point just yet. I'll know tomorrow when I make a trip that last averaged 380k/hw.

So far in my P85D, 12/19-12/21 I was averaging 420kw/hw. After I got her back from repair, it was around 380k/w, and then since the firmware update around 1/1, I've been seeing 320-340kw/h. They might be sneaking in updates into each firmware update and we are feeling its largest effects now.

Can you turn it off? One of the most annoying limitations of the ACC on my previous Audi A8 was that it was always adaptive - there was no way to make it fall back to the non-adaptive variety. As a result of this you could also only set 5mph increments on the target speed in that car (since you never have to make fine adjustments to suit the traffic, since it's adaptive).

I don't think you can turn it off. You can do 1 or 5 mile increments though.

I believe you can still use regular cruise control. If you want to set a TACC cruising speed you do so by pulling the lever towards you. Unless I'm mistaken, you should still be able to set a regular cruise control cruising speed the old way, by attaining a speed, and moving the lever up or down to set the speed.

- - - Updated - - -

It's too early for me to tell. I normally drive very spirited so the cruise control could indeed substantially drop my energy consumption. I wouldn't rely on me as a good data point just yet. I'll know tomorrow when I make a trip that last averaged 380k/hw.

So far in my P85D, 12/19-12/21 I was averaging 420kw/hw. After I got her back from repair, it was around 380k/w, and then since the firmware update around 1/1, I've been seeing 320-340kw/h. They might be sneaking in updates into each firmware update and we are feeling its largest effects now.

OK, thanks.

What ever happened with respect to that issue and repair?

I believe you can still use regular cruise control. If you want to set a TACC cruising speed you do so by pulling the lever towards you. Unless I'm mistaken, you should still be able to set a regular cruise control cruising speed the old way, by attaining a speed, and moving the lever up or down to set the speed.

I thought that was just the difference between having it snap to the speed assist speed and having it set to the current speed.

I wouldn't expect it to have anything to do with whether the radar is engaged and whether the car will slow down for other traffic.

There might be some way of disabling the adaptive aspects, but I'd be surprised if that was it.
Walter

Last edited:
I thought that was just the difference between having it snap to the speed assist soured and having it set to the current speed. I wouldn't expect it to have anything to do with whether the radar is engaged and whether the car will slow down for other traffic. There might be some way of disabling the adaptive aspects, but I'd be surprised if that was it.Walter

You may very well be correct, and I could be wrong. I did not attempt to use regular cruise control on my drive today.

Got to play with the 6.1 features on my P85D today. ACC works great. I did have a feature happen I did not know it had. A car pulled in front of me across lanes while I was going around 50mph and my instrument display flashed a (red star I think) crash symbol and braked hard. Could be collision mitigation.

This could become a useful rear bumper sticker -

brake.jpg

I don't think you're out of sync or confused - your observed behavior is exactly what the release notes say the current version will do. However, TACC is clearly a work in progress as they build toward full autopilot, and the October demo cars displayed your Utopic behavior, so I'm thinking you'll get what you wanted in due time. I'm not sure why it wasn't in this update - possibly Tesla isn't that confident in the speed assist results yet after the car took the vandalized 35/85 mph sign?Walter

Ah... Great. I'll go back to being patient ;-)

Honestly folks, does anyone *really* follow the speed limit? I'll be the first to say that the only time I do is in school zones and slow areas like 25 zones, and even then I'll do 5 over. In a 65 zone... 78. In a 55... 69. And even doing 13-14 over, I'm generally not the fastest on the road. If the car is going to make adjustments based on speed limit signs it is going to have to be 100% optional. I mean, has anyone been on a road like the NJ Turnpike? Speed limit 65... but if you're doing 65 you're going to get mowed down. Definitely not safe to do 65. 55 on 495 near DC? LOL.

I like the idea. And I like it as it stands, alerting me when I happen to bump over my set 13 MPH over... but it really should stop there, IMO. This feature is complete.

I do a lot of the time.

In the UK we have a nasty "average speed camera" systems all over the place. They are spaced miles apart and use video numberplate recognition as you enter and exit stretches of roads. All automated, and rake in millions in fines every year.

Then we also have thousands of automated speed traps, normally just after a change in speed limit. I can see speed assist saving you in this case.

One key missing feature is speed camera warnings. Even my old Diesel Nissan Frontier had this ;)

I always assumed ACC cars not allowing non-ACC cruise was a safety feature - so you don't forget you are non-ACC cruising and slam the car in front on highway.

No comment on whether this is good or not, or if Tesla uses this thinking, just putting the idea out there.

I always assumed ACC cars not allowing non-ACC cruise was a safety feature - so you don't forget you are non-ACC cruising and slam the car in front on highway.

No comment on whether this is good or not, or if Tesla uses this thinking, just putting the idea out there.

I was under the impression that there were different icons on the instrument cluster for ACC-cruise Vs. Non-ACC-cruise (or at least different colours?)

I was under the impression that there were different icons on the instrument cluster for ACC-cruise Vs. Non-ACC-cruise (or at least different colours?)

I don't know how it is in Tesla but sure the ACC and non-ACC symbols are often different. Still, often if car has ACC, it doesn't seem to allow non-ACC cruise. I guess it could be confusing if at times the stalk does one thing and other an other thing?

Yes, that's true: under 6.1 the non-ACC cruise control symbol is like the old indication, but gray instead of blue. The ACC indication adds a little car-from-behind icon, and it's blue.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how it is in Tesla but sure the ACC and non-ACC symbols are often different. Still, often if car has ACC, it doesn't seem to allow non-ACC cruise. I guess it could be confusing if at times the stalk does one thing and other an other thing?

Both modes of cruise control are still available; the non-ACC mode is initiated as before, with an up-down motion of the stalk, while TACC is initiated by pulling the stalk toward you and holding it for a couple of seconds.

Thank you for the info how it is on Tesla.

I must say Tesla's Merc stalkage and the cruise are confusing already as is. I can seen TACC adding to confusion, usability wise.

The cruise is one of my least favorite part of the car.

Audi has very nice and logical cruise controls, ACC or not.

Yes, that's true: under 6.1 the non-ACC cruise control symbol is like the old indication, but gray instead of blue. The ACC indication adds a little car-from-behind icon, and it's blue.

Just to be clear, I believe after 6.1 there is only TACC cruise. The grey "Cruise" icon is simply an indicator that the TACC is not actively tracking a car in front of you. When a car comes into range of the radar, the icon changes to blue. TACC is always "ON" when cruise is set.

Thank you for the info how it is on Tesla.

I must say Tesla's Merc stalkage and the cruise are confusing already as is. I can seen TACC adding to confusion, usability wise.

The cruise is one of my least favorite part of the car.

Audi has very nice and logical cruise controls, ACC or not.

What is confusing about it? If you want to set the cruise speed push up, if you want it to determine speed based on signs pull to you for 3 seconds.

What is confusing about it? If you want to set the cruise speed push up, if you want it to determine speed based on signs pull to you for 3 seconds.

I don't have Tesla's ACC but the basic cruise already feels very unintuitive to me. First is turning it on/off from button with light which wont set speed. The light is annoying and hard to see at the same time, so I often miss is the cruise ready (I know of the arrow on screen) and don't want to leave it on due to the light... Then you have to turn up to set speed separately, which is unintuitive because up/down also means increase/decrease speed. I'm not even sure how to turn it off temporarily. :)

Contrast this to e.g. Audi: Button always sets speed. Push away to the off (far away to physical click to turn entirely off) and towards yourself to resume. Up and down is always increase/decrease speed.

just tried the TACC. It is great. I used at 45 miles road and highway. It was able to slow down and follow the stop and go traffic on highway. The only thing I am not very sure is how quickly it slows when a car suddenly pulls in front you. Twice it happened and I quickly stepped on brake without waiting for the TACC as it is just 2 car length. Once you step on brake it cancels the TACC and you have to pull toward you again to engage Also when car in front of you switch lane to turn, it still tracks it and slows, you need to hit accelerator before the car behind you honks. It does use regen brake as I see the regen lights up all the way to the limit when it slows downVery cool. But have you foot ready next to brake :)

I don't have Tesla's ACC but the basic cruise already feels very unintuitive to me. First is turning it on/off from button with light which wont set speed. The light is annoying and hard to see at the same time, so I often miss is the cruise ready (I know of the arrow on screen) and don't want to leave it on due to the light... Then you have to turn up to set speed separately, which is unintuitive because up/down also means increase/decrease speed. I'm not even sure how to turn it off temporarily. :)

Contrast this to e.g. Audi: Button always sets speed. Push away to the off (far away to physical click to turn entirely off) and towards yourself to resume. Up and down is always increase/decrease speed.

Agree the light is very annoying, I was about to put tape over it. I think we have two different stalks because my adjustment knob did nothing prior to the TACC so perhaps yours config is more confusing.