Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

According to Tesla - Any Deliveires that Dont have a contract already are delayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice Dave,
Spudlime did you get your m3 today?

Curious ... what is this decreased pricing?
Worst case scenario, will Tesla consider an ACH transfer initiated at time of delivery as valid payment? Doesn’t ACH take a couple days to clear? My delivery is scheduled for delivery Thursday. VIN but no contract yet so there’s still time but wondering just in case.

I had delivery of my Model S on Sunday. I was in this contract BS. Once it was sorted, I did the ACH right there with the delivery guy. No issue and signed the papers right after.

I think you are at a disadvantage. Going to your appointment and sitting there in the lobby forces the Delivery folks to be on top of the contract folks because you are physically there and they have to apologize over and over. So sitting at home has less of an affect. Aside from calling every 2 hours, im not sure what you could do to put the same level of pressure on delivery to get the paperwork done.

Can anyone with more knowledge about this tell me why Tesla doesn't have a system to automatically populate a purchase agreement as soon as they assign you a VIN or schedule delivery? It shouldn't take more than a minute...There's no reason we shouldn't have a contract by a minimum of 72 hours before delivery. They've had 2.5 years to prepare for this.

The fact that most banks/credit unions need the contract before they can issue funds makes this an unnecessarily stressful process given they force us to wait until last minute and risk having to reschedule delivery.

Plus the rule of forcing the registrants to be there in person means I have to fly across the country on short notice just to take delivery of my car instead of simply giving power of attorney to a direct family member (super expensive and frustrating). If my delivery isn't ready this weekend due to Tesla dropping the ball on the MVPA, I will be more than upset that I spent all that money and time off work to get there for nothing, and will certainly make that known to them. Really hoping it doesn't come down to that.

There are some states that do not allow you to buy the car in that state. An example would be Texas and Oklahoma. I'm not sure the exact process, but you have to pay when the car is still in CA, then they ship it. You are the owner before the car is at the delivery center. I wonder what happens if you find an issue and need to reject delivery.

You have never owned such a common car? Really? Who cares if it's common? Its beautiful.

Not with Aero wheels it's not ;)
I don't particularly care, I was just commenting on it in the context of saying they're delivering huge amounts of cars as fast as they can -- in reply to the fellow who said he was afraid they weren't delivering cars.

The fact that most banks/credit unions need the contract before they can issue funds makes this an unnecessarily stressful process given they force us to wait until last minute and risk having to reschedule delivery.

Yeah, and I went through this because I was using USAA for financing and the woman who called me knew NOTHING about that, and kept insisting I had to provide a check when they delivered the car, and I was insisting I gave them the funding request THEY need to pull the funds, and there's no way any bank is going to give me a check without proof that their name is going on the title as a lienholder.

In the end, the (delayed by a week) delivery went fine although I had to send the funding request again, 3 different ways, as I was taking delivery.

And it doesn't look like they've tried to draw funds yet, 5 days later (2 of those being weekend days), so the car's not in the app yet....

• Informative
Reactions: FlyNavy01
and there's no way any bank is going to give me a check without proof that their name is going on the title as a lienholder.

I've done this multiple times with Lenders. They give you the check and request that you file lien work later. If you don't do the lien paperwork eventually they jack up the interest rate.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my ISA. Current backlog is 30-45 minutes, meaning final contracts are currently being generated 30-45 minutes after scheduled delivery times. Example: If you're taking delivery today at 1PM, your final contract would be generated between 1:30-1:45PM.

• Funny
Reactions: Petra
Just got off the phone with my ISA. Current backlog is 30-45 minutes, meaning final contracts are currently being generated 30-45 minutes after scheduled delivery times. Example: If you're taking delivery today at 1PM, your final contract would be generated between 1:30-1:45PM.

So we should plan to show up 30-45 minutes late. ;)

So we should plan to show up 30-45 minutes late. ;)

So... are they that backed up with deliveries.....or are their computers down?

So... are they that backed up with deliveries.....or are their computers down?

AFAIK it's a Contract department backlog. There's a queue to which they are processing contracts. I asked about moving my appointment earlier in the day, since my bank closes at 4PM and won't be able to generate a check during my delivery time, but was told that I would risk falling down the contract queue rather than up.

AFAIK it's a Contract department backlog. There's a queue to which they are processing contracts. I asked about moving my appointment earlier in the day, since my bank closes at 4PM and won't be able to generate a check during my delivery time, but was told that I would risk falling down the contract queue rather than up.

I wish I could see a contract to see how intense it is. It has to be extremely complicated since it takes so long.

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr

I am set for home delivery. I wonder how that is going to work. I guess they will just show up later but then not sure where that leaves me for when I should head home. I'm guess my kitchen table is about to become a loan processing desk.

This whole "contract issue" seems odd. How did they not foresee this? They should have been working this concurrently with the production ramp, while they were identifying bottlenecks. What good does it do them to be able to build a whole bunch of cars, but not be able to collect the money that they so desperately need??

Reactions: FlyNavy01
This whole "contract issue" seems odd. How did they not foresee this?
Computering is hard. Taking systems to the next level of stress will shake out things that are VERY difficult to simulate in testing. Good chance at least some of this was 3rd party work, too. Tesla ultimately has to shoulder responsibility for that and it could have very well been some in-house decisions that were factors, still that's another factor in making it difficult to foresee all.

The wheels haven't completely fallen off, though, and if there's still issues in a couple weeks I'd be a lot more concerned. In the meantime I'm chalking it up to it being normal "ramp up a system by an order of magnitude" bumps. *shrug*

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
This whole "contract issue" seems odd. How did they not foresee this? They should have been working this concurrently with the production ramp, while they were identifying bottlenecks. What good does it do them to be able to build a whole bunch of cars, but not be able to collect the money that they so desperately need??

This is my feeling exactly. They can ramp up to 5,000+ cars a week, but they can't get a system that does <customer_id> JOIN <contract_id> JOIN <vehicle_id>. How did these issues not start to creep in at 2000/week, 3000/week, etc. It shouldn't have just appeared out of nowhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Computering is hard. Taking systems to the next level of stress will shake out things that are VERY difficult to simulate in testing. Good chance at least some of this was 3rd party work, too. Tesla ultimately has to shoulder responsibility for that and it could have very well been some in-house decisions that were factors, still that's another factor in making it difficult to foresee all.

The wheels haven't completely fallen off, though, and if there's still issues in a couple weeks I'd be a lot more concerned. In the meantime I'm chalking it up to it being normal "ramp up a system by an order of magnitude" bumps. *shrug*

I get it. I understand that computering is hard, and production ramping of a complete automobile assembly is difficult. BUT, if you're chasing bottlenecks in the entire process, you should be doing time studies, and the time studies should include every single part of the process from beginning to end. Looks like they stopped short, and failed to include the last step.

I wonder if this is why it's been announced that the head of sales is leaving the company? (Assuming that contracts fell under his responsibility)

I get it. I understand that computering is hard, and production ramping of a complete automobile assembly is difficult. BUT, if you're chasing bottlenecks in the entire process, you should be doing time studies, and the time studies should include every single part of the process from beginning to end. Looks like they stopped short, and failed to include the last step.

You don't get it, though. You can "study" the crap out of this and it's still not the real thing. It's just too damn complex to model and simulate everything. This happens with even the best run operations at this sort of scale. The big differentiator in competency is how hard it fails (works somewhat or complete failure) and how long it takes to bring it back into spec. That they are operating at all is a good sign, the later part is going to take time to tell.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign