Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here, let's make this simple. Does having the same catalogue part number prove that the part is always the same? Does having a different part number prove the parts are different? Do we know there are no other physical differences? The answer to all of these is no.........conclusions made with such unknowns are speculative.....

What would be the point of having official part numbers if those numbers don't guarantee the parts perform equally?

Thanks! I understand how to tell once I’ve paid for it now to tell if it’s active. Question is how soon will I be able to order it once I take delivery?

If you haven't taken delivery you should ask your advisor if they have any 'stealth P' versions available. You get double the performance bump 0-60 for the same money. Loads of info in the forums if you search. I recently helped steer a friend to this option and the sales team were great about finding one and swapping his car over even though the ordered car was ready for delivery. If you're outside the US then this AWD+ may be your only option.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Uh...calm down, go back, and re-read the thread.

I'm replying to a guy suggesting Tesla somehow wrote code to make the AWD less efficient not more.

Ya that was me. And They don't write code to make it less efficient. They write code to control the motor eg how quickly it speeds the motor up what the upper bound is etc, And the fact is they write this to his specific numbers which is why they've been able to unlock performance in software. They're not just crippling it to cripple it this is how you control electric motors in a usable way.

When in reality the obvious reason the 2020 AWD is less efficient than the P (but wasn't in 2018) was that in 2018 they had the same physical motor in the rear... and in 2020 they have different motors in the rear.

Like are you completely clear in how they measure efficiency? they charge to 100% then put the car on a dyne and see how long it takes to deplete that with simulated city and highway driving. So what you and a lot of people don't seem to understand is that that efficiency is #1 dependant on the battery pack which is highly variable batch to batch and how the software is managing the electric motor. Absolutely nothing in those numbers can determine if the motor is different.

And to again re-iterate I'm not saying it is the same but I AM saying anyone who says they know 100% it's not or even any more than 50% that it's not is probably suffering from at least some Dunning–Kruger . We simply don't know at this point and won't until some motor specific testing is done on the motor itself not obscured behind the motor control software

Last edited:
Reactions: PACEMD
Thanks! I understand how to tell once I’ve paid for it now to tell if it’s active. Question is how soon will I be able to order it once I take delivery?
approx. 30 sec.
It is near instantaneous. A second after you hit pay and the payment is complete, your screen will refresh and your acceleration options change
I found it odd how fast it happened and others commented the same.

Probably not since new cars are delivered with a little older software version and it usually takes a couple of weeks to get your first update and you need 40.2.x. If you buy the upgrade at delivery the SC might force an update since you are paying and then you will get it.

ya I said mileage. More mileage using the same charge is exactly how the EPA measures efficiency in an EV

Right.

And the fact the P and AWD in 2018 had exactly identical efficiency despite different software (but the same motors) and the P and AWD in 2020 do not when the only new difference is the 980 vs 990 rear motor, tells us the 980 is physically a different motor than the 990. A more efficient one too.

Personally I have had my AWD for a year and bought it expecting some sort of 'uncork' down the line and not wanting to pay the P premium cost. I recently helped a friend get a Stealth P and was excited to see that for just $2k they got the full uncork. I'm puzzled to see near universal acclaim for those of us that already paid a premium to be an early adopter once again getting less for our post purchase dollars.

This is an OTA update with the only cost to Tesla the engineering dollars to validate the increased power and implications to warranties. If Stealth wasn't an option for new buyers then $2k would seem ok, but the fact that it is makes me feel like they once again are souring current owners brand loyalty.

Dear Tesla, changing pricing on things is ok. Lowering pricing is great-don't listen to the naysayers about lowering pricing on FSD. Offering new features to vehicles in the fleet is awesome. But charging different customers different prices at the same time is off-putting.

I can't read all 51 pages of this thread-but to those of you debating engine model numbers I suggest you take a step back and consider why Tesla is offering the AWD+ and what it implies.

Why is this upgrade cost the same as a stealth P upgrade at the showroom but deliver half the power increase? I can't help but think that not all AWD can handle the full upgrade without impacting their projected warranty costs. The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming that they can flip a software switch to add the full power but I wonder if they accept a couple percentage points of increased warranty failures in exchange to move vehicles through the showrooms quickly and keep customers happy.

Fingers crossed (in my case) that they allow all 980 motors to get fully uncorked at the current pricing.

Reactions: rlb4
nevermind, I found it :)

First the 2018 EPA efficiency numbers for AWD and P are highlighted in the red box... note how they are identical even though the "max output" numbers elsewhere obviously aren't? Because max output has nothing to do with the discussion

So despite different software- the 980 motor in both cars is the exact same efficiency.

Now here's the 2020 numbers with again a red box around the 18" P and the AWD.

And the numbers are different

Despite the only difference in the hardware being the 980 vs 990 motor.

it's almost like those are different parts

View attachment 490725

The difference in 2020 could be that they used a proper P3D+ with 18" wheels and in 2018 they used a stealth.
City range is 331 vs 332 for Performance and for Highway 310 vs 319. So most of the difference is at higher speeds, probably due to the P3D+ ride height being lower resulting in lower drag.

Attachments

• EPA 2020.png
    EPA 2020.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: mreynolds767
You can always log into your account on the Tesla website and see the Upgrades there.

I had to reboot my iPhone to get the UPGRADES to appear in new app. Here is what it looks like once you get it (minus the big arrow).

View attachment 490658
So strange. My app does not have the Upgrades link, even after upgrade, uninstall/reinstall, and reboot. Nor does it show up on the Tesla website under Upgrades. Only shows FSD. I've put in a support ticket. We'll see what they say. Since no one else has posted with the same problem, I'm assuming it's something unique to my account.

approx. 30 sec.
It is near instantaneous. A second after you hit pay and the payment is complete, your screen will refresh and your acceleration options change
I found it odd how fast it happened and others commented the same.

It’s so fast because all it’s doing is changing the CUSTOMER_PAID_2000_DOLLARS value from 0 to 1 in a config file.

The difference in 2020 could be that they used a proper P3D+ with 18" wheels and in 2018 they used a stealth.
City range is 331 vs 332 for Performance and for Highway 310 vs 319. So most of the difference is at higher speeds, probably due to the P3D+ ride height being lower resulting in lower drag.

The test is run on a dyno in a room, not actual driving in the breeze.

Also last I knew the 18" wheels don't fit on the P3D+ (though it's possible this has changed I suppose)

So strange. My app does not have the Upgrades link, even after upgrade, uninstall/reinstall, and reboot. Nor does it show up on the Tesla website under Upgrades. Only shows FSD. I've put in a support ticket. We'll see what they say. Since no one else has posted with the same problem, I'm assuming it's something unique to my account.
My app does not show it, but on my online account I can add it.

I can't read all 51 pages of this thread-but to those of you debating engine model numbers I suggest you take a step back and consider why Tesla is offering the AWD+ and what it implies.

Why is this upgrade cost the same as a stealth P upgrade at the showroom but deliver half the power increase? I can't help but think that not all AWD can handle the full upgrade without impacting their projected warranty costs. The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming that they can flip a software switch to add the full power but I wonder if they accept a couple percentage points of increased warranty failures in exchange to move vehicles through the showrooms quickly and keep customers happy.

Fingers crossed (in my case) that they allow all 980 motors to get fully uncorked at the current pricing.

Well current pricing ain't happening for a full uncork, the current update proves that.
I am sticking with my theory this is halfway, because they can and got people to pay $2K for it.
It doesn't mean the car is not capable, heck the update actually lowered the rear motor output so 100% the update does not max out the AWD car.

Now they still have the option on the table of giving the other half for another $2k down the line.
Why make $2K if you can make $4K for the same thing? ; add to that keeping track mode separate is another potential revenue they can tap.
Maybe they will wait until end of Q1 to pad those numbers with some cash influx just like they did this one for end of Q4.