Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

about to buy a cpo model s. IS AP2 that much better than AP1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's how I see it, having driven AP1 from the first day it was rolled out to the fleet, and AP2.5 for about 3 days (on a loaner, and I think it was the first software release with NoA):

AP1 is an (IMHO) excellent driver-assistance system, and it's really a game-changer for long-distance freeway driving. Its capabilities are not likely to change for the foreseeable future, and its limitations are pretty well known and understood.

AP2/2.5 can (or will shortly) do more things (NoA, enhanced summon). It doesn't necessarily do them well now, and it's going to take a number of iterations to get them that way. That being said, I was pretty encouraged by the potential I saw in the brief experience I had with NoA.

Whether AP2 is "that much better", or worth some amount of money to pay for, is pretty subjective (as another poster point out up-thread). It really depends a lot on how you use the car and what you want and expect it to do.

Bruce.

Reactions: SDRick
Polarizing thread :)
First time I get so many dislike. :eek:

Still as I was making a case for both AP1 and AP2, wonder what was actually disliked.

Anyway, some more comments, and if you dislike them, it’s ok, though I’d appreciate so more feedback.

AP2 does this as well (car in front of you turns light grey just like in AP1)...

As mentioned above, that is not the same.
When AP1 follows the car in front, it is then displayed in blue.
The lighter grey color is to inform that it noticed the car and adjust speed to it.
Blue means it is using that car in front to steer as there is not enough lines marking.
Works great in the town and cities.
And as AP1 expects you to remain vigilant, if that car makes a right in the river, I know I need to take control.

This is how I see it. We have a Model S with AP1, and a Model 3 with AP2.5. AP1 seems like Confident, yet Naive mindset. It handles many AP situations very well and Lane changes are without hesitation. But there are times, where it doesn't have enough information to make a move, "Safely". I has one camera and then only the sensors and if something is just out of range, but is coming in hot, AP1 will still do the lane change without any real concern of what's coming up behind it in the new lane.

AP 2.5 is like a Responsible, yet Timid mindset. It has 8 cameras and lots of sensors, it essentially has information overload and has to parse through all of that to make an informed decision. So there are times when it sees a shadow on the road and freaks out or waits for traffic to be relatively perfect before tip toeing into a Lane Change.

Great description.
Indeed AP1 requires you to take the decisions.
This is what to my recollection was promised: auto steer but the driver remains in charge.
With that in mind, much like when you don’t use AP and want to make a lane change, you check that it is ok to do so.
Not a weakness of AP1, just the way it is supposed to perform.
And with that in mind, indeed AP1 shows more confidence as it trusts the driver.
AP2 with FSD has a much bigger challenge ahead: being fully informed of the surroundings to make the calls.
And I’m pretty sure it will improve and become as “confident” as AP1 is today.

AP1 doesn't even have blind spot monitoring. Pass!

If that is important, sure.
Again: AP1 does not have that feature.
And yes, I got our AP1 before it actually was pushed by OTA and that was a one of those features promised but not delivered, as the HW they thought would be able to do this just can’t.
Much like rain sensors: AP1 has a classic rain sensor, and Tesla decided they could do it with a camera and sw. Hope they make it work eventually in all conditions and time of day.

Obsolescence - Wikipedia

Not obsolete by my book. :)
But should I be in the market and having the bucks, I’d spend them on a AP2.x car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
As mentioned above, that is not the same.
When AP1 follows the car in front, it is then displayed in blue.
The lighter grey color is to inform that it noticed the car and adjust speed to it.
Blue means it is using that car in front to steer as there is not enough lines marking.
Works great in the town and cities.
And as AP1 expects you to remain vigilant, if that car makes a right in the river, I know I need to take control.

Thank you. That was exactly what I was talking about. It's the biggest thing about AP1 that I miss.

I went through a similar decision process before buying my car. Different people are going to have different priorities so your decision will uniquely apply to you.

Here’s my rationale:
1) I wanted Autopilot to help with long drives. Maybe some bumper to bumper traffic situations if it’s reliable.
2) I could see some basic summon use cases (proved useful 2-3 times in the first week) and I liked the enhanced summon idea but it wasn’t a deal breaker.
3) FSD isn’t a real thing yet. No one knows when it will be a real thing. From the latest news, AP3 hardware will be required so the matter of whether/when AP2.5 owners will actually get upgraded and if AP2.0 ever will is up in the air.

So the savings of buying a comparable or “better” AP1 car vs AP2.5 was pretty compelling. I figure I can enjoy driving it the next 2-3 years while FSD becomes a real thing then spend the extra money to upgrade if/when I think it’s worth it.

As for capability, I understand the latest 2019 firmware has made some improvements to the AP2.x cars. I did a lot of reading and watched a lot of videos. This one I found most valuable in comparing their capabilities (which basically other than NoA, Blind Spot warning, and Sentry features you get with AP2, they seem pretty much the same at actually driving for moment.)

Good luck

Reactions: aerodyne
I don't use AP much, but occasionally I engage AP1 on a highway late at night, with good weather, and having driven that stretch many times before, as an advanced cruise control. I tried that today with my wife's AP2 and have to tell you the experience was surprising. Yes, it was cool to see cars to the side and behind, but the smoothness of the drive just wasn't there, the car accelerated and decelerated a few times for no reason I could think of, it also steered less smoothly. That lack of smoothness actually surprised me, based on what I read here I figured the highway lane keeping should have been on par by now, but it seems to me there is still a gap. Just my experience on a short drive though, so not based on exhaustive testing. YMMV.

I don't use AP much, but occasionally I engage AP1 on a highway late at night, with good weather, and having driven that stretch many times before, as an advanced cruise control. I tried that today with my wife's AP2 and have to tell you the experience was surprising. Yes, it was cool to see cars to the side and behind, but the smoothness of the drive just wasn't there, the car accelerated and decelerated a few times for no reason I could think of, it also steered less smoothly. That lack of smoothness actually surprised me, based on what I read here I figured the highway lane keeping should have been on par by now, but it seems to me there is still a gap. Just my experience on a short drive though, so not based on exhaustive testing. YMMV.
A key question is which software version she has. AP2 on current software is better in my opinion. Several problems that still affect AP1–such as braking for shadows or inability to navigate sharp turns—have been solved in the current release of AP2. And several other capabilities that work ok in AP1 have been improved—such as changing lanes in moderate traffic. Setting aside self driving, it would be disappointing to me to be stuck on AP1 as Tesla continues to roll out improvements to AP.

Reactions: drklain
A key question is which software version she has. AP2 on current software is better in my opinion. Several problems that still affect AP1–such as braking for shadows or inability to navigate sharp turns—have been solved in the current release of AP2. And several other capabilities that work ok in AP1 have been improved—such as changing lanes in moderate traffic. Setting aside self driving, it would be disappointing to me to be stuck on AP1 as Tesla continues to roll out improvements to AP.
The experience I described was with AP2.5 using 2019.12 software. As I said, it was a short drive on fairly straight highway in good weather. I expected AP2 to be on par by now, but the highway lane keeping (with few lane changes) was noticeably less smooth on AP2 that I was used to from driving AP1 usually (my car has AP1, wife's car has AP2).

I bought a 2016 Model S in November 2018 from Tesla with AP1. I would have preferred to get one with AP2 but there weren't that many available and at that time and Tesla was not shipping cars to other states. I would have to travel to get the car if I had found it.

Even today, there are 455 used Model S for sale by Tesla, out of those only 11 have AP2 or newer ranging from $63K to $111K. If you can find one that you like and can afford, by all means.

To me Free Supercharging was more valuable than AP2.

I'm perfectly happy with my Model S.

Regards,
Alex