Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Few Comments on Safety for New Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post is anything but condescending.
My last 4 cars have all had between 4.2-4.9 Zero to Sixty times.
My Model S test drive was a non Performance version 85. On paper it was less of a performance car than I was used to.
In actuality, it's acceleration was very impressive and more "useable" than Performance ICE cars. The silent suddenness could surprise other drivers and surprises are usually not good on the road.
For Todd to take time out to explain the potential issues to those of us new to Tesla is beyond commendable.

I didn't find it to be condescending. While we all may have spent a lot of time behind the wheel, that wasn't his point. If you are coming to the Model S from a non-performance car, then it's worth thinking about the different driving characteristics that come along with that extra power.

Another item for the safety checklist: watch out for pedestrians in sidewalks and parking lots who are walking with their back to you. The car is so quiet that they can suddenly decide to walk right into you without realizing that you are there. I haven't yet figured out the best approach (hopefully we never are forced to install government-mandated noise generators!), but opening a window and cranking up the music works.
Unless they are either wearing ear buds or oblivious, both common. I guess moms stopped teaching "look both ways" a generation ago. It's now just assumed car will stop. Me-centric world...

Regen is great and takes very little time to get used to in daily driving.
I had an experience exiting the highway at night at high speed onto an exit ramp that turns out hadn't been cleared of snow/ice. The sudden appearance of the bad conditions prompted an abrupt (too abrupt) lift off the accelerator. The regen "breaking" kicked in and I had a bit of side to side through the patch of snow/ice. I was impressed with how the car managed to get through overall.
I typically drive in snow and ice as if the brakes won't work but it takes some practice to habitualize that a sudden release of the accelerator is more like braking in the Model S.

P85D owners are now starting to get their cars, and there are likely buyers who have not experienced the instant torque and acceleration of the Model S, much less that it is produced almost silently.

Having come to Model S from a powerful and quiet motorcycle, I can relate to all of this. On a cycle, you always watch everything. You cannot tune out. You cannot think someone will not change lanes or turn in front or run a red light. You look. You look again. You keep looking. When driving down a road with some car's nose facing in, from driveway or multi lane, with signal or without, I always try to make eye contact. When you wanna race, you check everything in 360 degrees.

It keeps you busy, but I have never been hit, either on a cycle or in the S. Don't let 'em surprise you, and think for them, try to think like them.

I found Todd's post starting this tread very helpful, and not at all condescending. While I am an experienced driver, I have no experience driving a performance vehicle like the P85D, and no experience driving an essentially silent vehicle. Those two things combined will certainly make for some new experiences, and the more prepared I can be for them, the better.

Thanks, Todd!

Thanks for the reminders.
I found all of the OP's points valid.
I had the experience of a person turning right on a red into my lane..he didn't expect me to accelerate as fast as I did. No accident occurred..just reminded me to be more cautious.
No one expects the Tesla to accelerate as fast as it does.

A PM from GreenT:

What is your problem?
Chip on your shoulder?
Now you're waving your VIN over your head?
And your join date?
Wow for some the the money to buy these cars, it goes to their heads

Not sure if you're a pilot (really doubt it, since many pilots with your attitude end up dead), but here's an analogy. Pilot A has 2,000 total flying hours, none of them in a jet. Pilot B has 1,000 total flying hours, but 750 of them in a jet. Pilot A is learning to fly a jet, but believes Pilot B's suggestions about flying the jet are condescending, because Pilot A has more flight hours. Your attitude is that of Pilot A.

Yes, I have a problem because I started a thread suggesting driving safety tips for a quiet performance car. Shame on me.

Chip on my shoulder? Why? For what reason?

Yes, I'm absolutely waving my VIN *and* my join date, because both are indicitive of my experience and knowledge of driving the Model S. Please, if you know so much, feel free to share. That's what this forum is for.

Done feeding the troll. Most people here have the brains to see you for what you are. We'll all wait anxiously for you to dazzle us with your wealth of knowledge and tips.

A common refrain over in the Audi track community for the decade I've been involved with it whenever anyone asks about what to upgrade or modify on their car first has always been - "The First Mod Should be Driving School." (Quote from the late great Matt Ammon)

Put another way, what good is all that extra power if you don't know how to use it? Always upgrade the driver past the level of the vehicle first.

Reactions: ElectroFroggy
The suddenness of the performance in a Model S is very different, not just for you as the driver but for other people. They don't expect you can make it across the intersection that quickly. There's no high revving engine to warn others. From their perspective, it just teleports across the intersection.

Also, in the rain, my P85's traction control does let the rear end break loose.

Finally, in parking lots, people really don't hear you at all. I drive slower and more aware of pedestrians.

I just wanted to pass on a quick thank you to the experienced people who have shared some helpful information to a soon to be new owner of a P85D. The suggestion about the rear view camera being kept on all of the time and in the center was particularly helpful as I was worried about the rear visibility given the multiple tall headrests. The headrests on the 2012 Mustang that I just sold folded down but from what I can tell from photos of the new seats the headrests don't fold down and would greatly limit rear visibility. I also plan on adding a pretty heavy tint to the rear window ( 20 ) so the rear view camera should give a pretty good view of what's behind me. As a former motorcycle rider I like to be very aware of what's behind me and not just in front or at the sides as they all used to be potential death threats. So again thanks. Dr. Ron

+1 to Todd and this thread.

I have to second taking some kind of Car Control clinic class if you haven't had one already or spent time on a track. Highly recommend if you're getting a S or P and haven't spent years driving high performance cars because the instant torque of the S is an upgrade from just about every high performance car out there.

I would say absolute must if you're getting a D even unless you've been driving Bugatti's or McLarens.

I was fortunate enough to put a few hundred miles of track time on my old 5-litre Mustang. Set me up nicely for decades of driving BMW 3's and now the Model S :).

I want to say thank you for the reminders. While I drive a Shelby GT500 Super Snake with 656RWHP, I had no idea that my test drive of just a regular Tesla would offer so much torque. I was really impressed with the power the car had. (I am still trying to wipe the smile from my face 2 weeks later!) I have to say that it has got to be the second best feeling in the world! I am buying the D for my wife who has no experience behind the wheel of a performance car. This thread will be very helpful to her.

Passing in the S!
(when the car is new to you)
be very aware of the space between you and the car in front of you.
If you gun it before pulling out into the next lane over you may find yourself close to the car in front of you very quickly

I have done this early on and once this summer passing a logging truck when the passing lane just didn't start to match my uphill speed that had jumped by 35mph in ~2 sec
....almost forgot that was in a non P loaner even!

Last edited:
Indeed.

Excellent advice herein. I plan to head to the promised land (the factory) next week to pick up an S85. Despite having been fortunate enough over the past decades to have owned and driven some very fast cars, my top five next steps list does include a visit to the Bondurant School in Arizona for at least one driving course.During or prior to that visit, I will do what I can to encourage a relationship between Bondurant, for starters, and Tesla Motors to both raise awareness (much as this thread does) and to perhaps enable an incentive for Tesla owners new and old to participate in such courses.http://bondurant.com/programs/car-enthusiastI have no affiliation, blah, blah, blah.TJ