Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat vs. 7 seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guilty of making the minivan/Odyssey comparison myself (especially in reference to sliders instead of falcon wing doors), but the truth is that making the comparison of a minivan to a compact SUV is unfair. Minivans are designed with space in mind - space for hauling and space for people. There is no doubt that no SUV on the market compares to the utility and comfort of a minivan, but people in the US still buy [S,C]UVs. There's a style issue with vans, which is driven partly from the space and comfort constraints (as well as design restraints around the sliding door, to my chagrin).

I don't even see minivans as making space primary, as they're all full of plastic, cupholders, and padding around the seats. Compare the rear seats of your modern minivan with a 80s era VW Vanagon. Many people could lie flat across a 80s era vanagon, but you could never do that in a modern minivan.

I just find this whole thread funny. If you absolutely need all seats to be able to fold, or be removed or to recline +/-90° then you need to buy something else. If you want (nobody needs) a 6 or 7 seat SUV that can drag race a Porsche or a corvette and win and adds winged doors that will get you awe struck stares and comments then get the X. And as far as I know it is still the only vehicle besides the Model S to be able to travel 200+ miles on an electric charge so you can fly by gas stations, then this is currently your car if you can afford it. I'm happy with my 6 seat X, but if I had gotten the 7 seat I would still think it's the greatest car I could possibly own. But then I don't have to sit it the 3rd or even the 2nd row. But so far everyone who has been given the privilege of sitting in those seats hasn't complained one bit. I think everyone is really overthinking this. Don't mean to offend, but thought I'd comment since I am actually lucky enough to have one of these unbuildable beasts.

I just find this whole thread funny. If you absolutely need all seats to be able to fold, or be removed or to recline +/-90° then you need to buy something else. If you want (nobody needs) a 6 or 7 seat SUV that can drag race a Porsche or a corvette and win and adds winged doors that will get you awe struck stares and comments then get the X. And as far as I know it is still the only vehicle besides the Model S to be able to travel 200+ miles on an electric charge so you can fly by gas stations, then this is currently your car if you can afford it. I'm happy with my 6 seat X, but if I had gotten the 7 seat I would still think it's the greatest car I could possibly own. But then I don't have to sit it the 3rd or even the 2nd row. But so far everyone who has been given the privilege of sitting in those seats hasn't complained one bit. I think everyone is really overthinking this. Don't mean to offend, but thought I'd comment since I am actually lucky enough to have one of these unbuildable beasts.

While I agree with much of it, I think you're dismissing the conversation too easily to say people are overthinking this. This one conversation is not only changing the configuration of a $100K+ purchase, it also impacts my other vehicle as well. As an active family of five the conversation of how many passengers I can carry, how much gear I can carry, and in what configuration directly impacts how my family uses the vehicle. I already have Model S and at one point we talked about going all-electric. But after seeing/driving the X that's simply not possible. Whether its the number of passengers and/or the falcon wing doors meaning we can't put a box or ski rack on the roof and/or how much cargo I can carry in the 6 vs 7, these minor things you call overthinking mean that I'm going to trade my MS for a MX and then we have to figure out what our alternative plan is for our Sequoia which needs to be replaced. The people who go for a test drive with you haven't complained but I have to think about how my kids will want to sit for a 6 hour road trip...and how I'll carry the corresponding cargo.

So no offense taken, but realize threads like these are very important to many of us.

While I agree with much of it, I think you're dismissing the conversation too easily to say people are overthinking this. This one conversation is not only changing the configuration of a $100K+ purchase, it also impacts my other vehicle as well. As an active family of five the conversation of how many passengers I can carry, how much gear I can carry, and in what configuration directly impacts how my family uses the vehicle. I already have Model S and at one point we talked about going all-electric. But after seeing/driving the X that's simply not possible. Whether its the number of passengers and/or the falcon wing doors meaning we can't put a box or ski rack on the roof and/or how much cargo I can carry in the 6 vs 7, these minor things you call overthinking mean that I'm going to trade my MS for a MX and then we have to figure out what our alternative plan is for our Sequoia which needs to be replaced. The people who go for a test drive with you haven't complained but I have to think about how my kids will want to sit for a 6 hour road trip...and how I'll carry the corresponding cargo.

So no offense taken, but realize threads like these are very important to many of us.

I truly understand, believe me I've been there a decade or two ago. I'm just saying that if you are going to hate the car or regret buying one it isn't going to be because of the 6 vs. 7 seat issue. In your case you probably need the 7 seats. The 6 seat has a few advantages but at the cost of a seat. My kids are in college now, but honestly when they were younger they wouldn't object to being in the third row with their devices (back when they were really young, no phones or tablets, just a VCR equipped TV). We did it years ago with a Town + Country minivan and then a Highlander Hybrid all with 3 rows of seats. Yes a different more roomy configuration in the minivan, but pretty much the same in the Highlander except there was no way I would sit in that third row. The third row in the X is actually usable by an adult if needed. I know that won't work for everyone but I made my peace with the non-folding seats months ago and got the tow package. If I need to carry a lot of cargo I will rent a trailer.

Also those weren't all just short drives with passengers but also one 2 hour each way trip which I am repeating again this weekend and everyone going wants me to drive again. But they were all adults. My plans this Summer are to tackle a drive to Orlando, something I wouldn't do in any other car.

I truly understand, believe me I've been there a decade or two ago. I'm just saying that if you are going to hate the car or regret buying one it isn't going to be because of the 6 vs. 7 seat issue. In your case you probably need the 7 seats. The 6 seat has a few advantages but at the cost of a seat. My kids are in college now, but honestly when they were younger they wouldn't object to being in the third row with their devices (back when they were really young, no phones or tablets, just a VCR equipped TV). We did it years ago with a Town + Country minivan and then a Highlander Hybrid all with 3 rows of seats. Yes a different more roomy configuration in the minivan, but pretty much the same in the Highlander except there was no way I would sit in that third row. The third row in the X is actually usable by an adult if needed. I know that won't work for everyone but I made my peace with the non-folding seats months ago and got the tow package. If I need to carry a lot of cargo I will rent a trailer.

Also those weren't all just short drives with passengers but also one 2 hour each way trip which I am repeating again this weekend and everyone going wants me to drive again. But they were all adults. My plans this Summer are to tackle a drive to Orlando, something I wouldn't do in any other car.

No one on here is saying they are going to hate the car, but regret is a real possibility. Here's a fact...going into last Sunday I was convinced I was getting a 7-seater since I'm a family of 5. After 20 minutes at the meet Model X event my wife and I swung 100% and are now buying a 6 seater...no question. We are so glad for threads like these and that we waited so we could make that choice. After our experience on Sunday I can tell you quite assuredly I definitely would have had regret buying the 7 seater.

I can see that someone who has their car can laugh it off and say this thread is overthinking, but for those of us upstream this thread can save us $1k on configuration and deeply impact how we use the car on a daily basis for years to come. I can see a thread like this on headliner color may be overthinking it but this impacts the core everyday usage mechanics of the car. It's critically important for me and my family.

Here's a fact...going into last Sunday I was convinced I was getting a 7-seater since I'm a family of 5. After 20 minutes at the meet Model X event my wife and I swung 100% and are now buying a 6 seater...no question. We are so glad for threads like these and that we waited so we could make that choice. After our experience on Sunday I can tell you quite assuredly I definitely would have had regret buying the 7 seater.

Had the exact same thing happen to me. I was 100% set on a 7 seater in white, but after the event I went with a 6 seater in black. I'm 6' 5" and was able to fit in the 3rd row by stretching my legs between the 2nd row seats and the car in general seemed much roomier.

As for the white to black interior, I saw a lot of marks on the white seats and the dashboard was WAY too bright for me. The seats are gorgeous, but I would be scrubbing the seats clean daily. I also have a 4 month old son so soon enough he'll destroy the white seats!

I can see that someone who has their car can laugh it off and say this thread is overthinking, but for those of us upstream this thread can save us $1k on configuration and deeply impact how we use the car on a daily basis for years to come. I can see a thread like this on headliner color may be overthinking it but this impacts the core everyday usage mechanics of the car. It's critically important for me and my family.

Big +1 to MiddKidd (need to spread rep before giving again). This was a relatively easy decision for us because we're a family of four, and rarely have another three with us. Usually it's my single mother or my wife's parents. In both of those cases 6 works. However, I have remained subscribed to this thread because it's fascinating to see how people struggle with the balance between their daily, occasional, and rare needs vs. comfort.

I mean, we have threads on TMC that argue about whether Pearl White or Solid White are better choices, or whether the Model 3 is going to levitate. I think this thread is arguably one of the higher value threads as far as substance goes.

No one on here is saying they are going to hate the car, but regret is a real possibility. Here's a fact...going into last Sunday I was convinced I was getting a 7-seater since I'm a family of 5. After 20 minutes at the meet Model X event my wife and I swung 100% and are now buying a 6 seater...no question. We are so glad for threads like these and that we waited so we could make that choice. After our experience on Sunday I can tell you quite assuredly I definitely would have had regret buying the 7 seater.

this thread is making me regret my 7 seater! F-me.

this thread is making me regret my 7 seater! F-me.
Put a custom upholstered pillow on the center seat and use it as arm rests for the 2 outside passengers. That will make you very pleased with the 7 seat version. Tesla Motors should sell one as part of their "Tesla Design Collection". http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/design-collection

Looking at that web page, someone should try placing a filled Aurland or Corsicana Tote on the center seat and see if it would work as an armrest. Lots of third party options to think about, like using a Moab Weekender Bag on its end in the 6 passenger version. $800 for arm rests? Back to the drawing board.

I've got confirmed information that the 6 seat version will have the option to buy a center console between the seats in the near future (at some point). The seats are still without armrests though.

On Friday night all six seats in the Model X were needed for travel to a restaurant and movie. All six adults enjoyed the ride, but not the seat movement. Tesla Motors requires the second row to move far back to latch, and my third row passengers needed more leg room before the seats would latch. The result before that happened were screen messages and discomfort to correct the situation. It is difficult to have guests climb into the back seats, place their legs and knees correctly, move the second row back far enough (with buttons that are difficult to find) and be comfortable.

Sorry to say, but for this to work requires the driver to train the rear seat passengers before they get into the car, or they will suffer some discomfort as seats are moved when they are not ready. The new one button method helped, when it worked. Tonight one side failed to move forward without pressing the button many times, so that guest gave up and exited through the other door.

Everyone agreed that Tesla Motors needs to engineer the latching of the second row properly. The seats need to latch sooner, without needing to be moved all the way back. That, my friends, is going to take re-engineering.

For now, the luxury solution is to only use 4 seats and let the other two take another car. Not everyone likes sitting in the back with the wheel wells anyway. The space is confining.

The positive news to report: the front seat passenger loves Model X and prefers it to Model S. Seat heat was enjoyed by everyone tonight. They all love the ride and how it feels like a theme park ride vehicle. The fun of Model X does override the seat issues for now. No question that trained guests who know how to position the second row while they are sitting in the back row would help greatly. I am considering adding some tactile material to the seat buttons so they can feel where to push. If white Velcro in the < and > shape were on those buttons, that might do the trick.

OT: Putting a piece of dark Velcro near the passenger seat belt buckle that dangles and makes knocking sounds against the passenger seat is being considered as well.

Last edited:
I found a mechanical difference in how my second row seats move. This is due to having new seat moving hardware and a new second row seat. Here is a post about second row seat movement and it may help explain why one passenger had a difficult time on Friday night:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ts-from-the-touchscreen?p=1401350#post1401350

After trying the third row seats on both sides and moving the second row seats back, I have concluded that the movement of the newer seats or seat movers provide more leg room for the third row passengers. So don't let my experience cause concern. I will be contacting the SC to have them make my left side operate like the right side.

In regard to the tactile Velcro idea, a very thin vertical piece of black nubby Velcro was mounted in the center of my rocker switches so the control can be found easily by my passengers at night.

Easy Entry button.jpg

I will be looking for a better tactile material. This would catch the fibers of some types of clothing, but it looks acceptable and is easy to feel at night.

Last edited:
Sorry for the extra posts, but TMC turns off the edits within hours. I cannot leave the above without correction.

This morning I found that both seat movers caused discomfort (tight leg space) as the seats were moved backwards with a passenger in the rear third row. At this point, I will have the SC hopefully realign the seat mover to add extra leg room during the one touch reverse movement of the second row seat.

The work around is to have the rear seat passenger keep both feet towards the center of the vehicle while the seat moves back. After the latching sound occurs and the seat stops, move the seat forward a small amount to free up leg space.

Last edited:
Well, once you own the car you can try removing the center seat.

I've put in a request through our regional manager whom I've known for years to make the middle row center seat user-removable and re-insertable. That would allow the benefits of the six-seat version plus the advantages of seven seats when needed. yes I know there's wiring inside the monopost but that's what wire connectors are for. It should be doable - and I would pay something extra for a removable monopost retrofit.

I have not been able to sit in a Model X yet. Without experiencing it, it seems like it would be really strange to sit in the second row with no middle seat and no arm rest...
We have 3 kids. It seems to make sense to get the 7 seater, so the 3rd row is folded flat 99% of the time for added trunk space. Then if we need to carry friends/family, flip up the third row for a kid. With the 6 seat version, we would always need the 3rd row up, and have much less trunk space all the time.... All that being said, I do hope to see both versions in person before I get my VIN, which from the looks of things, will take a while....

...After the latching sound occurs and the seat stops, move the seat forward a small amount to free up leg space.
The problem with doing that from the third row is the latching is removed and the driver will get a warning on the touchscreen.

The million dollar solution is to have your finger above the "Easy Entry" button while the seat moves back. As soon as you hear the latch sound, hit the button briefly. The seat stops with the correct leg room and the driver doesn't get the warning screen. Tesla needs to automate this, but until they do, you now know the secret to third row seating comfort.

Last edited:
I have not been able to sit in a Model X yet. Without experiencing it, it seems like it would be really strange to sit in the second row with no middle seat and no arm rest...
We have 3 kids. It seems to make sense to get the 7 seater, so the 3rd row is folded flat 99% of the time for added trunk space. Then if we need to carry friends/family, flip up the third row for a kid. With the 6 seat version, we would always need the 3rd row up, and have much less trunk space all the time.... All that being said, I do hope to see both versions in person before I get my VIN, which from the looks of things, will take a while....
Isn't this funny? We've got three kids, too, and for us the 6 seat seems the most attractive!

Most of the time there's just one adult in the car, so the three kids can sit one in the front, two in the 2nd row. But when all five of us are going somewhere, one kid will shift to the third row. This way they won't beat each other up hollering about being squished; nor will the one in the 3rd row be isolated -- a problem we've had in our past XC90s and MDXs.

At the end of the day, what's right for any of us is going to depend on how we use our cars and what matters the most for each of us. It's so personal. I'm glad there's an option for 7 and 6. Now they just need to get us cars to look at.