Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

538 new stations turned on in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

corbin630

Herriman, UT | 2023 Model Y Long Range
Mar 19, 2023
Herriman, Utah
2023 was another record breaking year for stations as Tesla opened up 538 new sites to bring the total to 2,362 sites in North America. I'm expecting close to 700 new stations in 2024 with the pace that they are on.

1000016666.png

Quick update. I probably could have made it prettier and found more complete data, but this shows the number of Teslas sold in the US per year as well as the number of stations opened that year. I only have data going back to 2015 on the US sales and I had to estimate the Q4 US sales for 2023 since we only have global sales numbers right now. Stations are keeping up with the number of vehicles mostly, but the stations are also getting larger with most stations being 8 to 16 stalls now instead of 4 to 8 like many of the original V2 stations.

1704224976827.png

Quick update. I probably could have made it prettier and found more complete data, but this shows the number of Teslas sold in the US per year as well as the number of stations opened that year. I only have data going back to 2015 on the US sales and I had to estimate the Q4 US sales for 2023 since we only have global sales numbers right now. Stations are keeping up with the number of vehicles mostly, but the stations are also getting larger with most stations being 8 to 16 stalls now instead of 4 to 8 like many of the original V2 stations.

View attachment 1005104

This doesn't seem accurate. Tesla delivered 1,808,581 cars in 2023.

View attachment 1005104
Excellent work. That is exactly what I wanted to see.

Yes, I know how to get the current count, but the historical stalls numbers are harder to find unless I can get a big data dump of the supercharge.info data with open date and number of stalls. I haven't seen a way to download all of that and don't want to count it manually.

Reactions: 4hourrule
Yes, I know how to get the current count, but the historical stalls numbers are harder to find unless I can get a big data dump of the supercharge.info data with open date and number of stalls. I haven't seen a way to download all of that and don't want to count it manually.
It's all there on the link I posted. Just select 1000 entries at the bottom of the page and copy+paste into excel (be very careful to paste as 'plain text', otherwise it tries to do paste as HTML).

The site only allows uploading pictures, so I can't attach my spreadsheet, but if you want I can upload it somewhere else and send you a link.

Last edited:

The data tab only allows you to show 1000. But you should be able to use filtering to get the data with multiple copy steps.
My suggestion is that when you copy, copy first to a text editor and then into a spreadsheet.

But there's a URL from which you can get all the data as JSON.
Then you can filter and convert it.
I use Linux at home.
I fetch with wget.
I use jq to filter and reformat to CSV
Then I reference the CSV file as a spreadsheet. It's slow whenever I update from source in LibreOffice Calc in my spreadsheet.

(The proper way of course is to try to import into a database and then query it as needed).

I'll try to remember to post my process later.

Reactions: pb2000
The data tab only allows you to show 1000. But you should be able to use filtering to get the data with multiple copy steps.
My suggestion is that when you copy, copy first to a text editor and then into a spreadsheet.

But there's a URL from which you can get all the data as JSON.
Then you can filter and convert it.
I use Linux at home.
I fetch with wget.
I use jq to filter and reformat to CSV
Then I reference the CSV file as a spreadsheet. It's slow whenever I update from source in LibreOffice Calc in my spreadsheet.

(The proper way of course is to try to import into a database and then query it as needed).

I'll try to remember to post my process later.
Nerd
❤️

Code:
# Fetch the latest Superchargers
curl https://supercharge.info/service/supercharge/allSites > allSitesCSV0.txt
# Flatten the data
jq -f allSitesCSV.flatten.jq allSitesCSV0.txt > allSitesCSV.flatten.txt
# Add in missing dateOpened fields
mv allSitesCSV.flatten.txt allSitesCSV.flattenNDO.txt
sed "s/\(\"status\": \"[^O][^\"]\+\",\)/\1 \"dateOpened\":\"\",/" allSitesCSV.flattenNDO.txt > allSitesCSV.flatten.txt
# Convert to CSV
jq -r '(.[0] | keys_unsorted) as $keys | $keys, map([.[ $keys[] ]])[] | @csv' allSitesCSV.flatten.txt > allSitesCSV.linesa.csv
# Filter US and Canada only
head -1 allSitesCSV.linesa.csv > superchargers.csv
grep -E "(,100,\"USA\"|,101,\"Canada\")" allSitesCSV.linesa.csv >> superchargers.csv

I've edited some things above.
The flatten jq command configuration file
allSitesCSV.flatten.jq
Code:
map
(
    with_entries(select(.key != "address" and .key != "gps"))
    +
    (.address | with_entries(.value = .value))
    +
    (.gps | with_entries(.value = .value))
)

I had to Google for a bunch of it.
This flattening is necessary for me because I'm converting to CSV and that requires a flat object.
The data structure has child objects for address and gps location the flattening moves the child object attributes out.

• Love
Reactions: pb2000
Number of stalls opened each year.

Limitations:
1. Sites that have closed do not appear in this data set.
2. Some sites may have expanded or changed, but the Open Date did not change. Sites that were upgraded to include more stalls or had their v1 and v2 posts replaced by v3 ones will make it look like Tesla was installing V3 in 2013, but that was not the case.

1704929643453.png