Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure there will be many other posts like this as we share our experience with this very cool car. So here's my experience, takeaways, the good, and ugly about my Model 3 ownership after 5 years.

Here is a photo of Kuzco, my 2018 Long Range RWD 3 on delivery day (June 5 2018), in Mississauga Ontario:

1687573150067.jpeg

Overview/ Initial Impressions:
I placed a pre-order a few days after the keynote and was attracted by the 35KUSD price tag (lol). As the years went by, the configurator went online and I immediately specced the car as white with the aero wheels. After hearing reports of the poor paint match between the metal and non-metal surfaces with the white paint, I had a change of heart and swapped to the lovely MSM colour and 19inch stiletto's which I adore to this day. I also had no idea the premium white was going to become free so that worked out for the best...

I bought this car after owning a White 2011 BMW 328i xDrive (AWD). My first impressions were that the steering felt wickedly precise and pointed the car with the precision of a razor blade in the direction I wanted to go, but equally, there was a lack of connection and feedback. The hydraulic steering of the 3 series would jostle the wheel over potholes and bumps and that was missing here. The suspension felt perfect for me. I know a lot of people complain here about the unnecessary harshness but I personally love feeling the texture and cracks on the road. It's certainly not enjoyable going over poorly maintained roads but it always reminds me to slow down and be more gentle with the car. For comparison we have a 2020 Y on 19s with a thicker sidewall and it just feels boring with all the dampening (great for the majority of drivers though). The torque was intoxicating and alluring and I think for the first year, I didn't go a single day without sending the car. One of things I noticed immediately, was the weight of the car. You can definitely feel it when you hit the brakes hard (compared to a similar ICE vehicle).

The technology packed in the car for 2018 and even today, is bleeding edge (minus the aging Intel MCU). There wasn't a single manufacturer at the time that had the level of intuitive UI design, responsiveness, and computing power. Over the course of ownership I've enjoyed seeing copious new features such as sentry mode, streaming services, app drawers, and the customizable home bars and so many more! It seriously blows my mind that we just got another update to keep track of tire servicing (super handy for rotations!).

In the first year of owning the vehicle, I put down about 47,000km (30k mi) and now after 5 years, I'm at around 110,000km (68k mi). Most of my driving has been L2 charging but I have spent time doing a few fun trips across the continent as I lived in the West Coast of Canada and now Toronto for a few years. Life-time map below:

1687657830778.png

Maintenance:
Apart from keeping up with air filters, wipers, brake cleanings, and a brake fluid flush there really isn't much I've done. I had to replace my all seasons after about 4 years (I use winter tires as well). I'm still on my original control arms!!

One of the not so lucky aspects has been the amount of windshield replacements. I am now on my third windshield. I wouldn't say the windshield is fragile or anything. Both the impacts were fairly close to the edge of my glass, which is just bad luck but I have come across a few other posts stating a high number of windshield replacements. In my opinion I think this is just increased risk of debris from a car that sits very low and possibly the angle of the windshield.

Issues:
Tesla service, when the Model 3 had just come out was quite luxurious and personal, however, with the fleet of 3s and Ys ballooning, the service has become very by-the-book. I remember having a lot of small things fixed under goodwill. Additionally, the service experience can largely vary based on where you are. My experience for service in Victoria BC was far inferior to the service I received in Ontario. I had an issue of my touchscreen delaminating (appeared like a screen protector bubble but was actually under the display). The service tech. blamed my screen protector for it. I am engineer and the closest reason I can think of is maybe the screen protector acted as an extra layer of insulation or maybe it restricted the ability for the glass to slightly expand and contract with the heat in the cabin on hot days.... No explanation was provided to me though... I explained to them that it made little to no sense. Another tech even stated he has a screen protector on his car! So not sure what that was all about. Nonetheless, they replaced it under "good-will" but I'm very much of the opinion that it's just a defect.

Starting in March 2022, for about 7 months, I had an issue of my car constantly waking up and sleeping (for about 5mins) until it woke up again. You could hear the contractors engaging every 15 mins which was scary considering it happened for 7 months! I've logged this issue in detail along with the screen delamination ( Multiple issues with my 2018 Model 3 ), ultimately I moved back to Toronto and Tesla Mississauga were extremely professional and replaced the car computer for free, honouring the issue past the 4 year warranty. They even upgraded me from HW2.5 to 3.0 for free (I don't have FSD, only EAP) and I would be iMessaging my tech on a daily basis.

Paint and Build:
I consider myself one of the luckier owners. My VIN is 29k. I've had zero issues with panel gaps, improper installations, and the paint has lasted really well! For 4 years the car sat outside in an open lot and now it sits on my driveway and a garage at work.

Here's my car today:

IMG_1755.jpeg
IMG_1754.jpeg
IMG_1975.jpeg

IMG_1980.jpeg

Conclusion:
The car feels brand spanking new to this day. My daily commute is 120km (75mi) and Kuzco shows no signs of slowing down. I am happy as can be and plan to keep Kuzco for another 5 years. I am torn on my next purchase as I love the RWD architecture with the more punchy motor of the Long Range vice Standard Range. I would love to get an S but the nimbleness isn't there. Maybe a Performance 3? If you got this far, thanks for the read :)

I am at 110,000 miles. and holding up well. Battery is till at 95% of new. I have had $350 worth of maintenance as I needed a new seat belt harness and bushing for the front control arms. So not too bad for 5 1/2 years. I too had a windshield (an extra $900) that I too chalk up to bad luck rather than "maintenance".

Attachments

• Model3_range.JPG
    Model3_range.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 465
My Model 3 LR RWD was made in March 2018 and is over 5 years old. I have 117,600 miles on it and currently putting on about 35,000 miles a year.

I charged it to 100% a week ago in anticipation of a long 4 hour drive I had to do and it showed 291 miles of range. I took the 4 hour drive without stopping to charge and arrived with 8% battery. Not bad considering that brand new it showed 308 miles at 100%. I did do the high voltage battery health check in the service menu in the winter, and it showed battery health at 88%.

I replaced the 12v battery proactively a few months ago even though it was working fine. I did it because the car was waking up every 4 hours to top off the 12v, and I didn't want added wear and tear on my high voltage contactors from that. So I replaced it with a 12v battery from AutoZone and now it only wakes up every 11 hours to top it off.

My driver side front upper control arm started creaking at around 36,000 miles and Tesla replaced it under warranty. After that I injected grease into the FUCA ball joints annually and never had any more creaking. I recently replaced both FUCAs with the aftermarket ones made by Meyle HD just to be sure they will last the rest of my car's life.

Can't remember exactly when, but my driver side headlight signature light reflector started sagging down a little and had a dim spot where it was blocked. Tesla replaced it under warranty.

Charge port door would sometimes not open at around 38,000 and I had to pry it up manually a few times. It started working normally after a few days, but Tesla mobile service replaced it under warranty.

Cabin air filters and windshield wipers annually. I've cleaned and lubed my own brake hardware about every year and a half and have bled my brake fluid every few years. My tires wear down and are replaced about every 23,000 to 28,000 miles. My current tires will probably last at least 40k or 50k miles (Michelin CrossClimate 2) based on what the tread depth is at around 28,000 miles on them. Had a few creaks and rattles that I've found and taken care of.

I wish I had installed mud flaps on it right away, because at around 110,000 miles I noticed there was some wear through the paint in the rocker panels where the front tires kick up gravel. I cleaned the light corrosion in those spots and applied some primer. I then installed some side skirts over to help keep any gravel away from the rocker panels.

I love my car and hope to keep it until I hit a deer and total it.

Did you end a trip in Milwaukee and stay here. That is what it looks like on your map.

I agree with your feeling about the RWD model. I love my SR+. Lightweight, low CG, great weight distribution. A gas to drive.
No I drove down from Chicago and back up, it was a trip from Toronto to Victoria BC. There’s a faint line if you zoom in.

RWD for the win! Love the oversteer-y feel when the snow comes down.

My Model 3 LR RWD was made in March 2018 and is over 5 years old. I have 117,600 miles on it and currently putting on about 35,000 miles a year.

I charged it to 100% a week ago in anticipation of a long 4 hour drive I had to do and it showed 291 miles of range. I took the 4 hour drive without stopping to charge and arrived with 8% battery. Not bad considering that brand new it showed 308 miles at 100%. I did do the high voltage battery health check in the service menu in the winter, and it showed battery health at 88%.

I replaced the 12v battery proactively a few months ago even though it was working fine. I did it because the car was waking up every 4 hours to top off the 12v, and I didn't want added wear and tear on my high voltage contactors from that. So I replaced it with a 12v battery from AutoZone and now it only wakes up every 11 hours to top it off.

My driver side front upper control arm started creaking at around 36,000 miles and Tesla replaced it under warranty. After that I injected grease into the FUCA ball joints annually and never had any more creaking. I recently replaced both FUCAs with the aftermarket ones made by Meyle HD just to be sure they will last the rest of my car's life.

Can't remember exactly when, but my driver side headlight signature light reflector started sagging down a little and had a dim spot where it was blocked. Tesla replaced it under warranty.

Charge port door would sometimes not open at around 38,000 and I had to pry it up manually a few times. It started working normally after a few days, but Tesla mobile service replaced it under warranty.

Cabin air filters and windshield wipers annually. I've cleaned and lubed my own brake hardware about every year and a half and have bled my brake fluid every few years. My tires wear down and are replaced about every 23,000 to 28,000 miles. My current tires will probably last at least 40k or 50k miles (Michelin CrossClimate 2) based on what the tread depth is at around 28,000 miles on them. Had a few creaks and rattles that I've found and taken care of.

I wish I had installed mud flaps on it right away, because at around 110,000 miles I noticed there was some wear through the paint in the rocker panels where the front tires kick up gravel. I cleaned the light corrosion in those spots and applied some primer. I then installed some side skirts over to help keep any gravel away from the rocker panels.

I love my car and hope to keep it until I hit a deer and total it.

Forgot to mention I also replaced my 12V. It was in good condition but it was one of the things the I wanted to rule out with my sleep issue. Techs said it was fine but I paid for a new one anyways.

Just started doing my own brake cleanings. It's crazy how easy it is to work on the car. Hardest part I'd say is jacking the car up. Think I need a better jack as it barely goes high enough to put my ESCO stands underneath. If money was no object I'd go for a quick jack system. :D

I too delayed a bit on the flaps. I initially had Tesla's OEM ones on the fronts from 2020, but after seeing reports on their design flaw I swapped them out last year with the EVmudflaps by Antirouille Bolduc. Very happy with them. You wouldn't believe the amount of mud, debris and moisture the OEM flaps would hold. (Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect)

Reactions: android04
It's nice to see a thread full of other happy Tesla owners, so I'll join in. I'm just over 3 years and coming up on 50k miles on my '20 M3LR. I've had a couple of maintenance issues, but have been overall pleased with my SC (Tempe, AZ). I simply dig driving HAL. Quick, nimble, cool looking, advanced tech, etc. I look forward to hitting the road with him! (And, umm, there's a reason I listed "quick" first 🤣🤣...)

The haters say "this is not a luxury vehicle." I knew going in that $52k was buying me a really nice car, loaded with technology, not a BMW loaded with luxury. For me, HAL has higher end feel, which is enough for me, given the Star Trek-like stuff that comes along. Sure, I'd like my M3 to be as quiet and ride as smoothly as Patty's MB, but I knowingly accepted the trade off... and would do it again!

😎

Got mine may 19th 2018. Would have had it a week earlier but had some other engagements.. man was a I itching to pick it up!

Still love this car after all these years. It has few squeaks and rattles. Had the control arm replaced early on. I wish I'd put the mud flaps on, I just now noticed peeling paint on thr rocker panels. Scheduled for some body work in August ($1200 CAD).

Planning to hold on to this for a while.

I am sure there will be many other posts like this as we share our experience with this very cool car. So here's my experience, takeaways, the good, and ugly about my Model 3 ownership after 5 years.

Here is a photo of Kuzco, my 2018 Long Range RWD 3 on delivery day (June 5 2018), in Mississauga Ontario:

View attachment 950328

I placed a pre-order a few days after the keynote and was attracted by the 35KUSD price tag (lol). As the years went by, the configurator went online and I immediately specced the car as white with the aero wheels. After hearing reports of the poor paint match between the metal and non-metal surfaces with the white paint, I had a change of heart and swapped to the lovely MSM colour and 19inch stiletto's which I adore to this day. I also had no idea the premium white was going to become free so that worked out for the best...

I bought this car after owning a White 2011 BMW 328i xDrive (AWD). My first impressions were that the steering felt wickedly precise and pointed the car with the precision of a razor blade in the direction I wanted to go, but equally, there was a lack of connection and feedback. The hydraulic steering of the 3 series would jostle the wheel over potholes and bumps and that was missing here. The suspension felt perfect for me. I know a lot of people complain here about the unnecessary harshness but I personally love feeling the texture and cracks on the road. It's certainly not enjoyable going over poorly maintained roads but it always reminds me to slow down and be more gentle with the car. For comparison we have a 2020 Y on 19s with a thicker sidewall and it just feels boring with all the dampening (great for the majority of drivers though). The torque was intoxicating and alluring and I think for the first year, I didn't go a single day without sending the car. One of things I noticed immediately, was the weight of the car. You can definitely feel it when you hit the brakes hard (compared to a similar ICE vehicle).

The technology packed in the car for 2018 and even today, is bleeding edge (minus the aging Intel MCU). There wasn't a single manufacturer at the time that had the level of intuitive UI design, responsiveness, and computing power. Over the course of ownership I've enjoyed seeing copious new features such as sentry mode, streaming services, app drawers, and the customizable home bars and so many more! It seriously blows my mind that we just got another update to keep track of tire servicing (super handy for rotations!).

In the first year of owning the vehicle, I put down about 47,000km (30k mi) and now after 5 years, I'm at around 110,000km (68k mi). Most of my driving has been L2 charging but I have spent time doing a few fun trips across the continent as I lived in the West Coast of Canada and now Toronto for a few years. Life-time map below:

View attachment 950616

Maintenance:
Apart from keeping up with air filters, wipers, brake cleanings, and a brake fluid flush there really isn't much I've done. I had to replace my all seasons after about 4 years (I use winter tires as well). I'm still on my original control arms!!

One of the not so lucky aspects has been the amount of windshield replacements. I am now on my third windshield. I wouldn't say the windshield is fragile or anything. Both the impacts were fairly close to the edge of my glass, which is just bad luck but I have come across a few other posts stating a high number of windshield replacements. In my opinion I think this is just increased risk of debris from a car that sits very low and possibly the angle of the windshield.

Issues:
Tesla service, when the Model 3 had just come out was quite luxurious and personal, however, with the fleet of 3s and Ys ballooning, the service has become very by-the-book. I remember having a lot of small things fixed under goodwill. Additionally, the service experience can largely vary based on where you are. My experience for service in Victoria BC was far inferior to the service I received in Ontario. I had an issue of my touchscreen delaminating (appeared like a screen protector bubble but was actually under the display). The service tech. blamed my screen protector for it. I am engineer and the closest reason I can think of is maybe the screen protector acted as an extra layer of insulation or maybe it restricted the ability for the glass to slightly expand and contract with the heat in the cabin on hot days.... No explanation was provided to me though... I explained to them that it made little to no sense. Another tech even stated he has a screen protector on his car! So not sure what that was all about. Nonetheless, they replaced it under "good-will" but I'm very much of the opinion that it's just a defect.

Starting in March 2022, for about 7 months, I had an issue of my car constantly waking up and sleeping (for about 5mins) until it woke up again. You could hear the contractors engaging every 15 mins which was scary considering it happened for 7 months! I've logged this issue in detail along with the screen delamination ( Multiple issues with my 2018 Model 3 ), ultimately I moved back to Toronto and Tesla Mississauga were extremely professional and replaced the car computer for free, honouring the issue past the 4 year warranty. They even upgraded me from HW2.5 to 3.0 for free (I don't have FSD, only EAP) and I would be iMessaging my tech on a daily basis.

Paint and Build:
I consider myself one of the luckier owners. My VIN is 29k. I've had zero issues with panel gaps, improper installations, and the paint has lasted really well! For 4 years the car sat outside in an open lot and now it sits on my driveway and a garage at work.

Here's my car today:

View attachment 950622 View attachment 950623 View attachment 950624

View attachment 950625

Conclusion:
The car feels brand spanking new to this day. My daily commute is 120km (75mi) and Kuzco shows no signs of slowing down. I am happy as can be and plan to keep Kuzco for another 5 years. I am torn on my next purchase as I love the RWD architecture with the more punchy motor of the Long Range vice Standard Range. I would love to get an S but the nimbleness isn't there. Maybe a Performance 3? If you got this far, thanks for the read :)
Looks really good! I see your trim and door handles are now black, how did you de-chrome them?

I love the fact you didn’t mention anything at all about the battery (charging, range, degradation, etc). I think that says a lot.

My experience has been same as yours. Little bit of a late-comer but after owning my Y for a couple years, I had to jump my remaining ICE car so I could drive it over to trade in for my 3. Never going back …..

Reactions: brianbcc
Looks really good! I see your trim and door handles are now black, how did you de-chrome them?
I bought some Avery Dennison Satin Black Vinyl. DIY'd it. It wasn't too bad. Definitely recommend it. I wouldn't say I'm not a fan of the chrome but the look I was going for didn't jive with it. Definitely not a fan of the chrome mirrors though, those blind the driver on certain angles with the sun's reflection.

I love the fact you didn’t mention anything at all about the battery (charging, range, degradation, etc). I think that says a lot.

My experience has been same as yours. Little bit of a late-comer but after owning my Y for a couple years, I had to jump my remaining ICE car so I could drive it over to trade in for my 3. Never going back …..

Yeah! It's really not all that relevant. The BMS is weird. So range in km or mi I've found is really just an estimate. I used to worry about it in the first few years of ownership but I realized there are too many variables. When is the BMS taking its values? Am I letting it measure cell voltage at the data points it needs for an accurate estimate? Weather during the measurement? My sleep issue definitely didn't help as the BMS only takes readings after the car enters a period of deep sleep. No idea when even then. Sentry mode use also stops this, but I far prefer the safety than some inaccurate estimates.

For what it's worth, my car at its best showed me about 510km range (I have only had 19inch wheels). This was after Tesla unlocked the pack a bit more and the motor in the fall of 2018. Today a 100% charge gets me about 490-495km of range. That's about 96-97% battery health. That number doesn't make me super happy or sad, but I am content knowing the pack isn't defective. I personally think that's what most EV owners should worry about.

I don't think most people ever cared to monitor how much efficiency their combustion engines were losing year-after-year. I think a lot of people equate the Lithium Ion batteries to those in their electronic devices. Not understanding how important active thermal management plays in all of this. Plus the Tesla battery wizards :p

Reactions: voldar

View attachment 950328

View attachment 950616

Maintenance:

Issues:

Paint and Build:

Here's my car today:

View attachment 950625

Conclusion:
Really good write-up on this. Makes me all the more grateful to have picked up my MYLR a couple of weeks ago with zero issues so far. Other than spending too much time finding excuses to drive it around town doing totally unnecessary errands :)

i can second the windshield issue... I'm on my second windshield in under 40k miles and I make a very distinct effort not to follow too closely or stay well away from dump trucks etc. The car sits low and the windshield is curved very low as well... so what would have been a paint chip on the hood in another car is a cracked windshield in the Model 3. Hopefully this is something they eventually address with design changes as it takes away from the fun of driving it.... worried about hearing that distinct *clong* followed by a cracked windshield

Reactions: kayrish

View attachment 950328

View attachment 950616

Maintenance:

Issues:

Paint and Build:

Here's my car today:

View attachment 950625

Conclusion:
Thank you for the write up. Your car still looks great! I just bought my first Tesla, a Model 3 RWD. This gives me hope for a long uneventful ownership experience.

View attachment 950328

View attachment 950616

Maintenance:

Issues:

Paint and Build:

Here's my car today:

View attachment 950625

Conclusion:
WHAT DO YOU USE POLISH/WAX/FILM wise mate? That paint looks bloody amazing????

Reactions: brianbcc