Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40kwh Model S canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very angry. I ordered a 60kw with Supercharging ONLY because I was afraid what not having it would do to resale value. Now I learn that wasn't a valid concern at all. I want my $2k back and they can turn off my supercharger access until I sell the car!! I'm a very good customer (my husband and I both have S's) and I'm pissed.

I understand why you are upset but this could easily have been something they've only come to the realization this year that the 40kWh version wasn't going to work for them anymore. You still have Supercharging in your car so you got exactly what you paid for but wouldn't hurt to ask about disabling Supercharging on one of your cars.

I can't imagine how Tesla can keep offering the 40kWh for much longer.

It's easy to go back now and deliver 4% of cars with $10k more expensive hardware as a one-off freebie, but by doing this, they've made the 40kWh a LOT more attractive.

So people who were on the fence between 40/60 kWh now have a new option: "Start with a 40kWh and upgrade to 60kWh later when you need to". Gee, that is attractive enough that even I may have taken one. For me the choice was close between the 40kWh (as a secondary vehicle) or P85 (primary). I elected for the P85, but this may have pushed me towards the 40.

Having that option would certainly create a significant boost of sales of the 40kWh's, cutting into other models. But it sounds like those are being made at a loss, or close to it. That's fine for 4% of cars, but Tesla can't afford to continue giving that freebie if that 4% of orders suddenly start becoming 40% of orders. Even if EVERYBODY upgrades in the future (which they won't), that's a lot of capital to tie up for years that can be used for investing in newer models.

This is awesome news, as I have a 40kWh building, and was going to upgrade to 60kWh to get the car sooner. I can now just see if I need the additional range and buy when needed. Amazing!

Now, since the Supercharging equipment will be installed, would there would be a $2k "Activation fee" for the 40kWh folks?

Except we know the cells are around 250Wh/kg, so the weight difference between the two does not accurately reflect only the cells.

I agree with those speculating that Tesla will use the top part and limit that pack at the bottom, not the top. Makes most sense from a cell balancing standpoint, as well as long term storage. So you still want to avoid a range charge in the "40kWh" pack. For pack longevity it would have been better to split the difference and use a middle range, but this way you still get the benefit of never reaching a low SOC.

I wonder if 40s will still get the power limiting line when at a "low" SOC.

As a 40kwh reservation holder, I am emotionally drained. This announcement does nothing for me. When is Tesla building my car? I am more ticked off about the communication process regarding the 40kwh owners. This is twice I have had to find out about the drama of 40kwh issues via press releases or quarterly statements. I would have expected news like this in the form of a targeted email. I will probably still hold out and wait for the car, but as for the other 18 people in my office who are watching this soap opera, they will most likley never be Tesla customers.

Now that range is software configurable, they should offer a 195 mile range car as well for 5000 more. good for Tesla as they are going to put the 60kwh battery anyway good for customer they can save 5000.

Weren't the 40kw going to be one generation back in battery tech? I wonder if at 4% Tesla wasn't going to meet the necessary minimum orders with Panasonic to make it financially viable. And given the 40kw is being dropped, I can see why Tesla just decided to put the Supercharger hardware in every car as that simplifies the production.

I can't imagine how Tesla can keep offering the 40kWh for much longer.

It's easy to go back now and deliver 4% of cars with $10k more expensive hardware as a one-off freebie, ...

But the hardware is not necessarily $10k more expensive. The battery management system is likely the same, the only cost is additional cells. They actually save on the cost of a new design for the pack, and possibly additional safety testing, and changes to production which are no longer necessary.
Certainly there is some additional cost, I am just saying it certainly isn't the $10k retail price difference.

But the hardware is not necessarily $10k more expensive. The battery management system is likely the same, the only cost is additional cells. They actually save on the cost of a new design for the pack, and possibly additional safety testing, and changes to production which are no longer necessary.
Certainly there is some additional cost, I am just saying it certainly isn't the $10k retail price difference.
I agree. I think the real manufacturing cost between a 40 & 60 pack should be less than $2,000.

This is because Tesla announced the battery replacement program in late 2012 stating this:

We have received many requests for a Battery Replacement Option. We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery.

These announcements make a lot of sense to me as a shareholder and 85kwh owner. I want the company to succeed, and best to cover the cost of extra batteries in 4% of cars with potential to collect an upgrade fee in future than to pay overhead expenses of managing different production and replacement parts, crash test and other certifications, etc. Those who ordered 40kwh should be happy to have an upgrade path for themselves and/or future owners of their cars, same with the non-supercharger 60kwh buyers.

I don't think hacking is going to be very viable. It's one thing to jailbreak a few hundred dollar iPhone, another to do so on a $50k plus item which would void the battery and perhaps overall warranties.

This approach is common in the computer industry. IBM and other mainframes ship with unused processors, memory, etc. that are activated through remote or onsite software upgrades - for an additional charge.

I am very angry. I ordered a 60kw with Supercharging ONLY because I was afraid what not having it would do to resale value. Now I learn that wasn't a valid concern at all. I want my $2k back and they can turn off my supercharger access until I sell the car!! I'm a very good customer (my husband and I both have S's) and I'm pissed.

I am in the same situation. I wish I could get my $ back for supercharging, since there aren't any nearby. I'd like to transfer that $ to the service plan instead. I will Likely call and ask.

I am so fired up about this. I have a 40kwh reservation and getting the extra performance means the car is going to be faster than my G37 coupe. That was the only thing getting me a little down on the 40 (well that and the fact that it wasn't built yet). Hopefully they choose a limitation in a way so that I can range charge without extra degradation. Would it be a cool bonus to get the full extra range of the 60 for free? Absolutely. But I've been thinking about how they were going to announce this all week without pissing off the people who payed for the 60s. I think this is a fair solution (although I'm biased).

Hopefully Elon announces he's paying for supercharging for everyone, and refunding those who payed the 2k. But I have a feeling it's more likely a capital raise of some sort.

Nobody responded so I'll take a shot. Seems to me this is a no brainer for anyone with a 40kWh reservation. DO NOT UPGRADE. At this point I don't think you'd get the car any sooner. At the very least, you're already getting the 60kWh pack, and increased performance with supercharging upgrade capability for nothing. If you are one of the few who have a 40kWH on order congrats. You're getting a great deal!

@alsherma, thanks for the reply... Am certainly leaning tht way, especially after trading everyone's comments.the only reason for hesitating is that there is 60kw car available at the SC so I could potentially get an S immediately if Tesla let me :) just need to be more patient now...