Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just cancelled my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. I’ll explain 1. The other tesla cars I purchased were new orders. So this was my first experience with in stock purchase. I had no idea that Tesla wouldn’t basically match their own price at their own dealer for a car. So I wasn’t gamboling or whatever nonsense people were saying. I was unaware of Tesla’s policy on pricing of in stock cars. Since this is a forum I figured knowing my experience could be useful for someone else. As you may have noticed I wasn’t bashing the company or product just sharing my experience in case someone reading this didn’t know. Nothing more nothing less.
You should have called the local delivery/service center for a callback. Ask them about a VIN swap. I did and saved an additional 1100 for a cheaper same vehicle in stock.

For me, the OP's most significant statement refers to his not buying another Tesla. I do hope that " for the moment" is an implied qualifier. If I read correctly, they bought two new Teslas in the past including an S. $$$
Here in the UK, we early MY adopters have " lost" a shed load due to depreciation. Would I roll back time and wait 18 months to reduce the net loss? No way.
So, may I suggest that the OP swallows his "loss" then gives it a little time to settle down and then buys the car they really wants - a MYP.
Happy motoring in 2024.

For me, the OP's most significant statement refers to his not buying another Tesla. I do hope that " for the moment" is an implied qualifier. If I read correctly, they bought two new Teslas in the past including an S. $$$
Here in the UK, we early MY adopters have " lost" a shed load due to depreciation. Would I roll back time and wait 18 months to reduce the net loss? No way.
So, may I suggest that the OP swallows his "loss" then gives it a little time to settle down and then buys the car they really wants - a MYP.
Happy motoring in 2024.
Thanks for the comment. Nooooo. I’m not saying I would never buy another Tesla. Just more of mentioning that in my opinion the policy gets in their way of selling cars. I use electric cars for my business. So I will always buy one and no pride involved. If it was urgent I would have paid on the spot to get it. The reality is I’m driving a Tesla and would have swapped to a new one for the right deal. It didn’t happen still driving my model S. No love lost. And actually 3. I went from the 3 to the y to the s and prefer the y. I like smaller cars. So I was trying to switch back. The s I bought used. To test out the fsd. I don’t like it. lol

I suspect the discount reflects the condition of the vehicle. Maybe the one with $5k off had more miles or wear/tear as a demo.
It was new. My issue was I was trading in my 18 model s with fsd 52k miles. They were giving me 28,900. I was buying a new 23 car for 50k. Sticker of 53….. picking it up the next morning. another car same lot
comes available for 48 k. They wouldn’t let me switch instantly. And during the convo they explained I’ll lose the 250 when I said ok I’ll Lose the 250 switch all my paperwork to the other car. They said sorry someone made a deposit on it and we don’t price match. You can cancel and lose the 250 if you don’t want the one you reserved blah blah. I said well I want the car but at the other price. They said no. All paperwork was done. Payment was made all they had to do was switch vin or say ok well match the price if you keep
Yours. They didn’t and I didn’t leave with a car. I just thought that was bad sales/customer service /retention.

You gambled and you lost... nothing less or more...
Next time you should first order a second one and then cancel the one you don't want.
This is exactly what I did. There was a $1000 drop in price. I called the Tesla rep and she told me to cancel first and reorder the new one. It sounded foolish. I ordered first and cancelled later with $750 in my pocket.

I just thought that was bad sales/customer service /retention

I agree with this. It's not Tesla's strength. They retain customers because people like the cars.

I still like the Tesla sales model more than a traditional dealership. Since Tesla treats their sales more like a retail department store, I'd think it only fair that they'd price match for you.

That said, I suspect they actually *can't*. What I mean by that is... I don't think they give the sales reps any control over pricing. Not sure how they come up with discount rates, and why one new car would be $3k off and another $5k off... would be interesting to know.

Oh well. I bet you can find another one deep discounted in the next 2 days.

I still like the Tesla sales model more than a traditional dealership
Without qs. I hate the stealership. They try to upsell every little stuff and are irritating as hell. I once had a Nissan sales rep call me every day for 30 days before I picked and begged him to stop calling. The paper work at the dealership was crazy. Tesla has made it so easy with everything done via the app. Its really disruptive.

I was going to call them to switch my custom Y RWD to an inventory LR .

In the past, they allowed it, but I guess year-end. OP you'll also get a POS tax credit in 2024. My plan is to try to place an inventory order over the weekend and see what happens

I agree with this. It's not Tesla's strength. They retain customers because people like the cars.

I still like the Tesla sales model more than a traditional dealership. Since Tesla treats their sales more like a retail department store, I'd think it only fair that they'd price match for you.

That said, I suspect they actually *can't*. What I mean by that is... I don't think they give the sales reps any control over pricing. Not sure how they come up with discount rates, and why one new car would be $3k off and another $5k off... would be interesting to know.

Oh well. I bet you can find another one deep discounted in the next 2 days.
lol. You called it correctly. I see one on the site that’s at an even bigger discount. Oh well I purchased another brand today. I took the entire thing as an omen to try other brands the “one price model “ that doesn’t seem
To actually be one price can be frustrating. Either Elon will slash prices again or the 24 will be released redesigned next week. lol.

lol. You called it correctly. I see one on the site that’s at an even bigger discount. Oh well I purchased another brand today. I took the entire thing as an omen to try other brands the “one price model “ that doesn’t seem
To actually be one price can be frustrating. Either Elon will slash prices again or the 24 will be released redesigned next week. lol.
Which brand / car did you go with?

Reactions: zoomer0056

Definitely true i do like the cars. After trying out a 2023 Rivian R1S, i am not enthused and customer service there is absolutely lacking. You are basically at the mercy of them as well as there is no one skilled or knowledgeable to fix them as well. When the high voltage contacts failed to connect, the vehicle was basically dead. 12 HOURS waiting for Rivians tow truck, only to then have a tow company NOT be able to tow it. Had to leave it in a parking lot for next day to get one with a flatbed and skates. Super embarrassing and worthless. Got a parking ticket for that too which Rivian wont cover.

HV battery had to be replaced after 6 weeks of waiting for a replacement. Ended up lemoning the R1S. No thanks again.

You are basically at the mercy of them as well as there is //no one// skilled or knowledgeable to fix them as well.
I am.

In 2023 I was the first to rebuild an R1 chassis. All without rivian’s help and an employee willfully trying to ban my vin from rivian. (She did, got promoted too. But that’s a story for another day.)

Suspension issues, wiring, Christmas tree error fest on the dash. All the fun.

Everything else you said about that company, I agree with you to no end. Their Stans are the literal worst.

Their forums/Reddit/Facebook groups/IG pages are full of employees, can’t blame them for trying to be the PR for the company, but… not at the expense of banning / flagging / downvoting anyone speaking up about the missteps they’re taking.

A fun side note to this: a rivian approved body shop cannot do any computer / calibration work to the vehicle. All get fixed then shipped to a service center. 😵‍💫 driving that wait time for an appt (3-6mo!!!! Is NOT unheard of)

Last edited:
I’m not blaming Tesla but I would holpe for more from any company. I ordered a on stock y performance. It was a 3 k discount. Scheduled to pick up. Another popped up with a 5 k discount. Obviously I want that one. Especially after the last years price drop I hit. It’s my 3 rd new Tesla not that it should matter. They wouldn’t price match. My only option was to cancel lose my deposit and order the other. Well that math works 250 lost to save 1800 more. Of course the other car sold as I was doing it. Spoke to the sales team they said nothing they could do. So now I’m not buying a Tesla. I get it policy is policy. So I’m not going to bash the company. But wow. Oh. I was trading in a 18 model S. So once again. Not complaint about the product.
I hear you. This is the downside for an online only ordering model. Is this noted when you pay the order fee, that the order is locked down to a specific VIN?

Reactions: zoomer0056