Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 Mile Range Prize

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gather that the prize is yet to be determined. Kind of makes a difference whether the prize is $10,000 or a cap with "400 miles" written on it. I would not drive for ten hours at 40 mph in order to win a cap. Actually, I would not drive 400 miles just in the hopes of maybe, but probably not, winning any prize at all. But that's just me. And anyway, you'll have to be one of the very first in line even to have a chance. Someone will probably do it on June 22 or 23, with or without a prize. For at least the next year there'll be an informal contest to see who can set the new distance record.

If the prize has significant monetary value, someone will probably try to cheat. I like the idea of a nice-looking but cheap plaque to everyone who manages to drive 400 miles without charging. Though it would encourage abusing the battery by unnecessarily charging to full and driving to empty.

Actually, between 15 and 20 mph even the Roadster will do just over 400 miles. So doing 400 in the Model S will be a simple matter of driving very slowly. Maybe 30 or 35 mph with the larger battery pack in the S. That really wouldn't mean anything at all, other than your willingness to spend 12 or 15 hours driving very slowly. Maybe the "prize" should just be an honorable mention on the Tesla web site for the first person to turn in vehicle logs demonstrating a 400-mile run.

^ Isn't "abusing" somewhat OTT in that context. EV's are designed to be driven and recharged after all.....
Yes, but they warn aganst charging to full and discharging to empty on a regular basis. I charged to full once and the car warned me and asked if I was sure I wanted to. Say it takes you ten tries. Ten times charging to full and discharging to empty. Just in hopes that you might win a prize.

Prize could be a free battery upgrade. The 500 mile pack that Elon says could be done now but which would be too pricey?
They're not going to build a one-of-a-kind 500-mile pack just to offer as a prize for driving 400 miles. It would probably cost many millions to design and test it.

Anyway, I've changed my viewpoint: All you need to do to drive 400 miles is drive 20 or 25 mph for 16 to 20 hours. So the first customer willing to do that will win the prize. Won't prove anything. Maybe they should make it a race instead. Whoever can drive 400 miles in the least amount of time. Make it a traveling trophy. You get to keep it until your record is broken.

One that displays on your screen at Model S boot-up. You'll know you've lost when it's no longer there one morning. Cruel, but gamification and glory are some great motivators.

Great idea.
There were many Prius owners in the early days who started this by playing their car like a video game. Then Leaf owners, Volt, etc all would compete for best miles per charge. Taking that to the Model S screen like an arcade video game that people see on their car screen is a super cool way to connect drivers in a unique way.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKKj8OY0O1CFRFH7QoniCaK3aQSH3B03qZoFA0gHxVPqhrx3qC.jpg
images

Considering Elon's first business venture was a video game this seems appropriate.

Great idea.
There were many Prius owners in the early days who started this by playing their car like a video game.

One of the great things about the Prius (and now other modern cars) is that you get more games than just How fast can I go from A to B. After playing that game for many years, I've found it to be kind of boring and stressful (there is always someone slower, a red light, or a policeman). It's much more relaxing and interesting to get the most mpg (or m/Wh in the Tesla's case) out of your car.

One of the great things about the Prius (and now other modern cars) is that you get more games than just How fast can I go from A to B. After playing that game for many years, I've found it to be kind of boring and stressful (there is always someone slower, a red light, or a policeman). It's much more relaxing and interesting to get the most mpg (or m/Wh in the Tesla's case) out of your car.
You'll find that if you're the fastest car on the road, everyone else tends to be (relatively) slower and thus... in the way. :)

You'll find that if you're the fastest car on the road, everyone else tends to be (relatively) slower and thus... in the way. :)

That is correct--although I've never found a speed--not even in rural Saskatchewan--where someone isn't passing you, only the number of passers per mile gets lower.

They're not going to build a one-of-a-kind 500-mile pack just to offer as a prize for driving 400 miles. It would probably cost many millions to design and test it.
I was thinking along the lines of the latest cell chemistry in the existing 18650 cells in the current S skateboard. Would only need updated firmware to alter the charge/discharge protocols. They must be doing this sort of R&D anyway.