Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 Mile Range Prize

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... was considering trying it this Sunday after I pick up my car Saturday afternoon in Fremont. There's a lot that wouldn't be ideal though:
- I'll have my whole family. I figure a total passenger and cargo load of about 470 lbs
- Kids are going to get cranky after that much time in a car, even if it's a brand new S
- I'll really be wanting to open it up in that thing. Maybe I'll drive it like mad for a bit then top it off before I start the 400 miles
- Would probably take 101. So I'd be hoping no one slams into the slow lane. I have a Roadster but not sure--do people think it would be better to go a constant speed or to take surface streets with starts and stops?
- I'd need to spend the night. Do people think I'll lose many miles by letting it sit for 9 hours? I'd like to drive about 4-5 hours on Saturday, sleep 9 hours, then drive the other 6-9 hours on Sunday. Would rather go a bit slower to make up the loss than have to spend the night near Fremont and do the whole 400 miles in one go.

I'm thinking this is probably a tall order. I could always enjoy the car for a couple weeks and then take it out on a weekend just to try for this under more ideal conditions. But I'm guessing someone will beat me to the punch.

@dadaleus: my recommendation would be to drive to Indian Springs, stay overnight at one of the many hotels with EV charging, and then drive southeast from there and do laps around the Salton Sea. Yeah, it's not sexy, but its flat and roads are lightly traveled enough that you can dawdle along at 40 mph without being a complete pain. It's 18 miles from the Renaissance in Indian Springs to Mecca, at the top of the Salton Sea. Three laps around, then back to Indian Springs, is 402 miles by my reckoning.

Dadaleus,

First of all, congrats! Only a couple of days to go until you get your S.

As for going for the 400 miles, I'd offer two thoughts. First, you'll make it a LOT easier if you are by yourself, or at most with one other person. 400+ lbs of extra weight is definitely going to make your task more difficult. Second, I think the biggest contributing factor to success at this, besides the obvious like hills and speed, is the weather. If you can go at a time when you don't need heating or A/C (but the windows rolled up) for what will end up being a pretty long trip, that's going to be the best way to maximize your mileage.

Yea, re weather I was thinking coming down PCH/101 would be best because it would be cooler than being out in the desert. I get the advantage of being out east for flat and no traffic, but would be painful to not use A/C. I guess I'd just go in some shorts and a t-shirt and keep the windows down. I think I'll just not try this weekend, and if I feel like making a dedicated attempt in a couple weeks, and no one else has claimed this, I could try it then. I'm just too lazy to give this the try it may really need. :) One thing to go slow, another to do all the other things necessary.

Last edited:
OK, I'm now speculating on how to do this with the "20 mph, 20 hour" procedure. Perhaps drive the length of the UK entirely on back roads? You should be able to minimize stops because of the UK's preference for roundabouts over stop signs and traffic lights.

OK, I'm now speculating on how to do this with the "20 mph, 20 hour" procedure. Perhaps drive the length of the UK entirely on back roads? You should be able to minimize stops because of the UK's preference for roundabouts over stop signs and traffic lights.

You still have to give way (yield) to traffic already on the roundabout, which on many roads will mean coming to a complete stop.

I am sure there are a lot of these in rural america. This one we used as a bicycle race lap when I was at college. This has some elevation gain that you would probably look to avoid. But only 1 stop sign (right turn), and one other right turn per almost 8 mile lap. And it is way rural, and a pseudo dead end so, unless you go during the Georgia Tech Bicycle race, you won't have to worry about stopping but once per 8 miles.

It would be boring as hell though. We capped that race at 56 miles because the laps were pretty short. And we also would have a time trial on it earlier in the day.

http://binged.it/SLR3tc

Last edited:
I thought there was something about the trip having to end up @ Fremont or something -- I thought it was a prescribed target pair of start and stop cities. Perhaps I'm misremembering it.

Does it have to actually be a GPS-proven distance, or does a dyno run of 400 miles count? ;)