Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 kWh and 60 kWh EPA range estimates, and how will it effect defferals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an interesting crystal ball exercise trying to guess the state of the art in energy storage 5-10 years from now. If the zinc/lithium air technologies pan out in that time frame there is no "charging". If electric automobiles do become seriously mainstream that fast I don't think we can comprehend the innovations in energy storage that will happen from 3rd parties. Superchargers could be as anachronistic in ten years as we would all hope gas pumps are. The biggest pull for me to the 60 kwh battery from the 40 is the supercharger but I have little, if any, use for it the next 3 years. I would rather have that $10K as a starting point towards whatever will replace it in 5 years. If things do grow rapidly that is the better decision. If electric automobiles remain a small niche market then it is not.

In an uncertain world, it is prudent to buy certainty. I'm getting the 85kWh pack to minimize my reliance on future upgrades, charging networks, etc. that would place my investment at risk.

Agreed. One of the tricks to buying any high-tech item is to buy it for what it does now. Not for what it might do in the future or what you think it should do.